The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Should we Tax all Faiths?

Should we Tax all Faiths?

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 19
  8. 20
  9. 21
  10. All
Last time the government counted us,and some of our views,the out come said about a third of us follow no faith, why should we subsidise any of them?what was the thought behind no tax for them in the first place? is that reason still the case in a time even cults can get tax breaks, are we letting tax that may fund help for the truly poor in fact fund obscenely wealthy faiths?
Posted by Belly, Thursday, 16 August 2018 5:36:03 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
//what was the thought behind no tax for them in the first place?//

They get tax exemption under the Charities Act, which classifies them as charities. I think that should be changed; whilst churches do a lot of charity work, they also do a lot of stuff that has naught to do with charity. The Scientologists get tax exempt status, and I've never heard of a Scientologist charity.

The law should be changed so that religions only get tax breaks for their charitable work. Those that are already mostly about charity will be barely affected - for instance, I can't see it negatively impacting on the Salvo's too much. But those that are about turning a profit like Hillsong and Scientology will suddenly find that they have to pay tax like any other business.
Posted by Toni Lavis, Friday, 17 August 2018 8:47:40 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Belly you obviously have no idea how belief systems work. Islam imposes a tax on food, which you are paying. The Government gives $1,000,000 for Islamic Cultural Centres. The Government does not give to the building of Churches, nor does it give to Church funds. It does not give to the development or promotion of Christianity; as it does to Harmony by promoting education on Islam in schools.

Where do you want to tax Churches? For schools, charities, welfare programmes? Do we then tax all members Clubs?

http://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=7&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=2ahUKEwj9_rvt0_LcAhVEebwKHcL-BXAQFjAGegQIBhAB&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ato.gov.au%2FNon-profit%2FYour-organisation%2FIn-detail%2FIncome-tax%2FIncome-tax-exemption-and-sporting-clubs%2F%3Fpage%3D3&usg=AOvVaw3_W_rfzzfLf9CAFdD6k6Wt

Churches pay tax on salaries. They do not exist to sell services, or create a profit.
Posted by Josephus, Friday, 17 August 2018 8:55:36 AM
I believe, have been told, that Religions in the UK come under the "Superstitions Act" & are Taxed.

Therefore a change from the "Charities Act" to a "Superstitions Act" would be a step in the right direction.

The Churches could claim for their Charity work off their Tax. They would have to explain just what they did with the money. Eg; Was the money sent overseas. To what Organizations did the Charity money go to. Who do those Organizations distribute the money too. Why wasn't the Charity money spent to Aid Australians in need?
Posted by Jayb, Friday, 17 August 2018 9:36:08 AM
//Islam imposes a tax on food, which you are paying.//

Bollocks.

//It does not give to the development or promotion of Christianity//

Short memory, Josephus?

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2008-04-21/world-youth-day-to-cost-taxpayers-86m/2410210

$86 million for Catholic World Youth Day sounds like giving to the promotion of Christianity for me.

//promoting education on Islam in schools.//

The Government provides money for education on a number of faiths that aren't Christianity, Josephus. It's called 'Studies of Religion' in my state. I was under the impression that it was only a HSC elective, but it turns out there's a syllabus for junior years as well. I believe it's still an elective, which means students aren't required to take it.

http://www.boardofstudies.nsw.edu.au/syllabus_sc/pdf_doc/studies_religion_710_syl.pdf

//Do we then tax all members Clubs?//

Yes, the tax exempt status for clubs is another rort that some organisations exploit shamelessly. Did you know that under these laws, the NRL and AFL claim tax exempt status? Frigging ridiculous. This one's a bit tricky because there are local sporting clubs and so forth for whom the exemption is warranted. But yeah, the legislation definitely needs tightening up.

//They do not exist to sell services, or create a profit.//

Except for the ones that do.
Posted by Toni Lavis, Friday, 17 August 2018 9:41:02 AM
faith based schools are already subsiding the god deniers by receiving far less per student than the state schools. Time the gw high priests paid back some of the millions scammed from tax payers for fraudulent prophecies.
Posted by runner, Friday, 17 August 2018 9:48:15 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 19
  8. 20
  9. 21
  10. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy