The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > I have questioned the direction of altruism. Please help!

I have questioned the direction of altruism. Please help!

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. All
I recently questioned a person about their commitment to a cause. I felt their support was nothing short of tokenism. Some were appalled with my comments.

Personally, I feel, an essence of altruism is shown my some (if not many) to try and show the qualities that come from what they have to offer to others, to improve their own image and self worth.

This essence can come from individuals, groups of people, government and community organisations. Many now operate around money, but supposedly still under the principles of altruism.

I have since seen charities online taking large cheques from banks in Australia. What have banks done to the community?

I feel, there is no such thing as an altruistic act that doesn't have some sort of self-interest and some pride or satisfaction involved.

I have been told to retract my comments by one person very strongly, and I was shocked.

What should I do now?
Posted by NathanJ, Wednesday, 1 August 2018 1:07:56 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
self interest self promotion like a need to present your views is human nature, too the desperate need some have to take others down my advice is if the water gets muddied in the debate keep on paddling in the way you wish to go, that is your right
Posted by Belly, Wednesday, 1 August 2018 8:15:42 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
You assume everybody thinks like you; the lesson is, they don't.
Posted by diver dan, Wednesday, 1 August 2018 8:28:39 AM
//What should I do now?//

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1zxUUwR_H2c
Posted by Toni Lavis, Wednesday, 1 August 2018 8:41:25 AM
YouTube certainly has an answer for most things. I just cannot get into Nathan's obsession with the very strange topics he brings up. No comment from me.
Posted by ttbn, Wednesday, 1 August 2018 9:57:00 AM
Ttbn,

Altruism, at a basic level is a "disinterested and selfless concern for the well-being of others."

This is generally the principle I take. Being selfless is also difficult for many to take on.

So here, I questioned a person and their commitment to something. They were trying to take a lot of credit for something they show little to no interest in.

They have shown interest in two activities in around 10-12 years.

In my opinion, this person was trying to show themselves as a person who cares for a range of causes, despite having limited interest in a lot of these, but became involved to improve their image and self status.

The organisation they're involved with, involves paid employees, but claims to operate under the principles of altruism.

As a person who has volunteered for a few causes, over a long period of time, I don't do so for self pleasure, but I will admit I've had feelings of self worth on some occasions.

Visit the website where organisations are receiving grants from a big bank. This bank is also trying to express elements of altruism, despite banks activity seeing small businesses close, affecting farmers and seeing people lose homes.

https://www.commbank.com.au/about-us/opportunity-initiatives/opportunity-from-good-business-practice/community-grants/2017-recipients.html

I see a class warfare in Australia. Some are valued more than others. I will oppose that, but some people are NOT happy with me in this case.
Posted by NathanJ, Wednesday, 1 August 2018 12:46:34 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy