The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Lefties and Progressives: APEC is a Trap. Stand Clear and Save Yourselves.

Lefties and Progressives: APEC is a Trap. Stand Clear and Save Yourselves.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. All
I had a strange encounter with an overzealous seller of the Green Left weekly the other day and this has been haunting me since.

This undergraduate type chased me all the way to the Newtown train calling out “join the revolution you scum”…bla bla bla

Does Howard need another Terrorist threat to get back into office?

Think about it: APEC. Some oppose this meeting: exploitation of workers in other countries in turn undermines our own minimum wages. Maybe a valid point.

It is, never-the-less, a meeting with soci-economic merit.

The problem is, would this Government benefit from APEC 2007 being sabotaged, if it is an orchestrating the spectacle to fail?

This would keep the conservatives in for much longer.

In experiment, they have already stirred people up in Sydney in every Event. The QEII+QMII: traffic disaster, Chaney: a mess, even the SS Kitty Hawke last week, chaos. Right on time, a train breaks down on the bridge AGAIN!

They'll be scrambling mobile phones in Sydney, causing traffic jams, and the gem, the train break down on the Harbour Bridge, you know it will, just to make you angry.

They did it twice already for practice.

What would be the worst possible thing to happen to the left wing and the progressives at the moment? Think about it. So many angry people, a fuse ready to be lit.

Every time I get junk mail from the Greens telling me to go to some APEC demonstration, or who will be the anti-APEC meeting speaker, something by instinct tells me something is wrong with this strategy.

What positive outcome could come from an anti-APEC demonstration? Can anyone tell me?

If anything went wrong, who would get the blame? Islam terrorist, yes of course.

By connotation, who else would get the blame? You know that the demonstrators, especially the Greens, the left of the ALP, those sellers of the Green Left weekly will be demonised to the hilt before the next election, just so that Howard can say "I told you so".

Don't fall in the trap. It’s not worth it. Am I wrong?
Posted by saintfletcher, Sunday, 15 July 2007 2:47:22 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
The dithering,incompetent Morris Iemma and his Keystone Cops may well just grant someone's wishes.I hope no one gets hurt.
Posted by Arjay, Sunday, 15 July 2007 3:41:37 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
We can reasonably expect to see three things:

-Protestors and police brawling in the streets
-Angry Sydney residents brought to a standstill by something they're probably not even interested in
-Howard batting his lovestruck little eyes at Bush the Child King.

Tabloid news will have a field day with the first, but the other two will go against Howard. He's lost NSW anyway, but there's only a handful of Australians left who seriously believe the Howard/Bush love-in is good for Australia.

Let's just say there was a terrorist attack. It's common knowledge now that we're at greater risk because of our involvement in Iraq, so part of the blame would be sheeted home to Howard anyway.

I can't think of anything about APEC that could improve Howard's election chances.
Posted by chainsmoker, Sunday, 15 July 2007 4:01:16 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Saintfletcher

It would not surprise me if it was someone from these posts who wanted to push their Howard hating doctrine upon you.
Posted by runner, Sunday, 15 July 2007 4:55:17 PM
I can Chainsmoker - a positive economic outcome for Australia or some genuine Australian assistance for some of the Pacific region. We were a terrorist target long before Iraq . All we had to be was a Western nation to be a terrorist target - the sort of Western nation which espouses democracy and has welcomed Muslims into their midst. And don't please don't give us the nonsense about being "less" of a terrorist target or "more" we are or are not a terrorist target and, as we are, being or or out of Iraq or anywhere else is not going to make any difference...indeed it will just bring the problem closer to home as they can reallocate their resources. This is about power and these terrorists do not intend to give up and go away just because we trot off meekly like good little girls and boys. It is dishonest to suggest that going into Iraq was the sole cause of us being a terrorist target or that pulling out will solve our problems with terrorists.
Posted by Communicat, Sunday, 15 July 2007 5:13:43 PM
oh boy, "they" are powerful aren't "they"?

More powerful than a locomotive, apparently.

Any proof Saint?

I'm for Mick Young's "stuff up" over a conspiracy. You gotta love Morris the Unworthy.

Nevertheless, I tend to agree with you that nothing less than something momentous can save Howard and the Libs. now; and that 'in your face' confrontation at APEC benefits no-one.
Posted by palimpsest, Sunday, 15 July 2007 6:08:38 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy