The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > ANZAC Day - What does it mean to you, and your Families?

ANZAC Day - What does it mean to you, and your Families?

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 8
  8. 9
  9. 10
  10. All
We are now in the month of April once again, and in a few short weeks it will be ANZAC Day. To be very truthful, I thought 25 April 2017 would be my last...well? The day to me is one of solemnity and reflection. To many others it's a day in which to celebrate; play two-up and generally hit the piss, and behave in ways that generally; on any other occasion, the coppers wouldn't tolerate.

The RSL of course; both on the weeks leading up to the Day, and the 25th April itself, like to be heard and flex their community muscles in order to lecture us all, on how we should observe the day. All the while some of the previous RSL executive in NSW, were robbing the League blind of the donations the community willingly gave, to assist in helping veterans. I've no time for the RSL at all, still that's for another time - The RSL doesn't 'own' ANZAC Day - You, the community does!

However, what does ANZAC Day really mean to you, and your extended families? To repeat the above, to me it's a day of solemnity & reflection? How about you and yours? Are you a Veteran, if so, please share with us, your own feelings on the Day. Whatever you say, I will respect your position, *absolutely*!
Posted by o sung wu, Wednesday, 4 April 2018 1:04:24 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I will never understand why some people feel the need to analyse every regular event that is part of our culture. Year, after year, after year: Anzac Day, Christmas, Easter, Australia Day - you name, it has to be commented on, pulled apart, defended or denegrated. Immaturity is the kindest thing I can think of to explain it.
Posted by ttbn, Thursday, 5 April 2018 9:44:47 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Hi there TTBN...

I must say quite a number of people might well agree with you. I think unlike Christmas & Easter ANZAC Day is more secular and devoid of any religious connotation. Although it could well be argued that it could have an overlapping effect with religion? Many prayers are said, and churches are usually pretty full on the Day

Personally, I lost a very close mate, so I see no need to 'celebrate' or jump about in order to commemorate his loss. So I'm usually fairly quiet even reflective when I remember him. Ironically he was at FSB Coral & Balmoral, and got out of there unscathed and was subsequently taken in an isolated ambush; go figure? He was on the M60 for his section. Thank you TTBN for your contribution.
Posted by o sung wu, Thursday, 5 April 2018 12:35:00 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
o sung wu,

I don't usually march, although this coming one I may.
I reflect a bit as, like you, I lost a few mates.
One good mate was killed in Malaya, a theatre that I was not in, thankfully.
Usually, I watch the Sydney March on TV and look for old cobbers.
Posted by Is Mise, Thursday, 5 April 2018 12:44:55 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I will say one thing about Anzac Day. It is the only occasion when some, at least, Australians take a bit of pride in their country and give thanks for what a hell of lot of pain and sacrifice provided for us. It's a pity that it is all being thrown away by the rubbish in Canberra, with their multiculturalism and mass immigration of undesirables, their assault on free speech and ruination of the economy. And, hearing the Last Post is the only thing left that puts a lump in my throat.
Posted by ttbn, Thursday, 5 April 2018 1:19:55 PM
Hi o sung wu, now 58 years after my own navy service, & over 3 years since my sons, I have to admit not all that much. My father never marched wanting only to forget his war.

It was not always so. In 54 as the senior cadet under officer of the Young high school cadets, I commanded the honour guard for the dawn service, which was pretty emotional. Then was amazed at the mile long procession & the range of units & services represented in the march in a town of only 6000 people.

I never went to war, so do not feel connected in the way those who did must feel. I do remember the few mates lost, but that was in accidents, so not the same.

From 74 to 76 I explored much of the Solomons & PNG, where such costly battles were fought. Even the Islands have mostly forgotten them. On Green Island, where 26,000 men were once based, there was only a short bit of the bomber strip to be found, now the island airport. There was much more around Rabaul, but the last volcano probably obliterated most of that too.

Places like Munda, & Honiara so little remains that it might almost not have happened. Perhaps that’s a good thing, although it’s said that those who forget their history are bound to forget it.

Hope you don’t find the day too painful old mate.
Posted by Hasbeen, Thursday, 5 April 2018 1:53:02 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 8
  8. 9
  9. 10
  10. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy