The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Is there Greenland ice melt, and is it due to global warming?

Is there Greenland ice melt, and is it due to global warming?

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. ...
  9. 22
  10. 23
  11. 24
  12. All
Dear GrahamY,

You do keep saying 'if'.

As Toni intimated many of us feel debating recalcitrant skeptics on this forum about global warming after the world has really moved past these questions holds little attraction.

The data behind the interactive graph is both substantial

“This data set offers users a 25 km daily record of surface/near-surface melting on the Greenland Ice Sheet. The presence of melting is determined from brightness temperature data acquired during a 34 year span by three satellite-borne microwave radiometers: the Scanning Multichannel Microwave Radiometer (SMMR), the Special Sensor Microwave/Imager (SSM/I), and the Special Sensor Microwave Imager/Sounder (SSMIS).”

... and freely available.
http://nsidc.org/data/nsidc-0533#

To send me on another errand without an explanation of why this is inadequate would be a little rude.

Indeed in light of that I hope you recognise it is a bit rich to ask me to look at explanations of why something is happening, if you are unsure whether it is occurring at all.

Do you or don't you accept the trend from 1981 until now is that the extent of melting over the Greenland ice sheet is increasing?
Posted by SteeleRedux, Thursday, 22 February 2018 3:41:12 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Hi again, Graham,

I had not realised you were trying to assist Jennifer (presumably Marohasy). Dificult task - Jennifer did try to disturb BOM over a long time on her spurios interpretation of Rutherglen temperature data - and now Greenland data (presumably - I am not inclined to chase her article).

However, a solution to your problem (and Jennifers).

Are you able to take your mind back to the 1940s? I can remember our cool box at home with two compartments. The top was filled with ice on a regular basis, and food was stored in the lower compartment.

Now, there is no way that you would take the lower compartments temperature and expect it to reflect the house’s ambient temperature.

Houses, and temperature recording apparatus (read Stevensons screens) in Greenland, co-exist, closely, with the worlds second largest ice block. Only those with inhibited mental processing capability would expect to see any Greenland temperature records that reflect global averages, either as raw data, or anomilies. Those global averages clearly attest to existence of global warming that today is causing great harm, and will be getting worse over coming years and decades.

That you Graham, and Jennifer, want to use Greenland temperature records to support denialist thinking shows how shallow your thinking is.

Such thinking may be required, however, by the Koch brothers, the IPA and your organisation, Malcolm, and many others.
Posted by Tony153, Thursday, 22 February 2018 8:14:55 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Hello again,
By the way, to say you believe in global warming but cannot find the data to prove it is a very tasteless psychological process to give your self a little credibility.

It doesn’t.
Posted by Tony153, Thursday, 22 February 2018 8:33:01 PM
I do find it interesting that these warmists are so aggressive & obnoxious. I guess that when you have pinned your hopes for the establishment of a new world order to a scam like CO2 caused global warming, & can see the whole thing unravelling before your eyes, the tendency is to get a bit narky.

It must be hard after conning the world into spend trillions on looking for something to incriminate a harmless, & in fact essential gas that you can't find a single bit of incriminating evidence.

I must admit to not bothering to read much of their twaddle these days. After thousands of failed "projections" it gets a bit boring. Now the planet is showing them entirely wrong, with increasing frequency, they have only invective to stand on. I guess that like the USSR they will fade into history soon.
Posted by Hasbeen, Thursday, 22 February 2018 8:51:02 PM
Apparently it's snowing in Mexico.
Posted by ttbn, Thursday, 22 February 2018 10:21:27 PM
//Apparently it's snowing in Mexico.//

Which bit? Mexico has its own glaciers, so a bit of snow should hardly come as surprise.
Posted by Toni Lavis, Friday, 23 February 2018 6:21:10 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. ...
  9. 22
  10. 23
  11. 24
  12. All