The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > diet drinks and cancer

diet drinks and cancer

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. All
I have always enjoyed carbonated, 'soft drinks'. As a younger man I would choose different flavours as the norm. At some point I decided that I would move away from sugar based drinks. It might have been around the time 'Diet Coke' came out.

I drank it for some time but was always put off by the after taste of the 'fake' sugar.

Then along came 'Zero' and I was immediately sold on it. Gone was the after taste and I found it to be 'fit for purpose', and still do today.

I am overweight (approx 135kg) at first I attributed this to the sugar.

But since a major medical emergency some years ago and the fact that I am regularly checked, I find all my stats are within the lines. With the exception of my kidneys. No this is as a result of my emergency.

As part of my health check I visited a urologist. Having nothing to do with my visit and mostly because my wife has been 'ear-bashing' me over my preference to drinking Zero, I took the opportunity to ask him about Coke Zero.

He was writing at that moment, he stopped, put his pen down, looking a little annoyed at being interrupted with such a mundane question, and very firmly said. 'It's water, what about it? I explained my wife's concerns, who by the way was sitting next to me. He repeated himself, 'it's just water with some flavouring'. And went on writing.

Now this is a professional in this very field, and to be honest I was both grateful and slightly curious that he did not come straight out with, 'No it's not good for you so stop drinking it immediately'.

Go figure?

(Oh BTW my emergency was an aortic dissection and the kidney took the major hit as the organs began shutting down. So I was told after my return to land of the living.)

I know what some of you are thinking. If my kidneys are compromised why am I stressing them further with soft drink and all it's baddies?

I'm human?
Posted by ALTRAV, Sunday, 21 January 2018 11:52:55 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Thank you ALTRAV...

For sharing your medical episode with us all. I too guzzle 'Zero' having given up 'strong drink and bad women' over half a century ago (I'm nearly eighty years now). I too have consumed literally gallons of all varieties of Coke since my military days in the mid sixties. The yanks with whom I served, used to freight in pallets 'n pallets of the stuff to keep their troops well watered and thus satisfied in order to do battle with the bad guys.

Consequently, I've spoken to many Doctors over the years who're forever telling me the dangers associated with the excessive consumption of Coca Cola, as I 'again' consumed litres of the stuff, when on night shift with the coppers. To a point, that I'm somewhat surprised, the Executives at Coca Cola in Atlanta, in the US haven't offered me some stock in their giant Corporation?

In conclusion, I've never seen someone who's consumed excessive amounts of Coke, in all it's many varieties; ever lash out, and start physically attacking innocent people, similar to those who've consumed illicit drugs similar to ICE, or too much alcohol.
Posted by o sung wu, Monday, 22 January 2018 10:24:22 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Rather than bad-mouthing soft drinks, people should be thinking about the really bad effects of alcohol, a deadly poison to humans. The latest findings - one alcoholic drink every 10 days markedly increases males chance off copping prostate cancer. No good telling drinkers this, of course.
Posted by ttbn, Monday, 22 January 2018 10:54:06 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
one thing for sure and that is medical science is far from settled when it comes to cancer. Diet is certainly only one part of the eqaution. Even the topic of cancer treatments like chemo are hotly debated. Thank God that Jesus revealed the eternal rather than the few breaths we have here on earth.
Posted by runner, Monday, 22 January 2018 11:11:22 AM
Hi there RUNNER...

I think I've admitted to you and others, that I'm very much an atheist. That said, the amount of comfort, and relief that many people get from following a peaceful spiritual path, like that of Christianity, I'd never in anyway criticise it or the people that derive benefit from it. Unlike the evils perpetrated by some of the followers of the Islamic Religion, who's primary aim appears to be, to inflict hurt and kill others.

Off topic I know - when one takes the time to read a little on Jurisprudence, it's easy to see where many of our laws have come from - The Ten Commandments. I'm absolutely no expert on these matters?
Posted by o sung wu, Monday, 22 January 2018 12:25:09 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy