The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Choice: Nuclear Subs or None !

Choice: Nuclear Subs or None !

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. All
Now, you're talk'n Issy. What any self respecting navy needs is a decent Battleship, nothing too ostentatious something around the 70,000 tonne make should do. The navy brass would love it.

Australia should be gearing itself towards a defensive capability, not some belligerent offensive nonsense which involves billion dollar submarines.
Posted by Paul1405, Tuesday, 4 July 2017 5:48:54 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Paul,

"Australia should be gearing itself towards a defensive capability, not some belligerent offensive nonsense which involves billion dollar submarines."

Like training and arming the civilian population, good thinking.
Posted by Is Mise, Tuesday, 4 July 2017 8:15:19 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Indeed Is Mise, the surface ships with diesel engines would be in the
same maritime vessel. If any of them burn bunker oil they might be
able to use the small amount of crude oil that we do produce after
some modification.
There would be enough crude, 350000 barrels a day, for their use.
Diesel trains would also be out of use after stocks exhausted.
Regarding stocks, the OECD has a decision that all members, including
Australia, are to hold a three month security stock.
All OECD countries comply except Australia which has zero stocks.
Our major stock is in the tanks of our cars.
This is really a very serious risk aside from the defence aspect.
Australia's civil emergency management is ignorant of the risk.
State, District and Local Emergency Management Committees are
forbidden to prepare displans to cover the risk. Why ?

Read the links I gave at the beginning of this thread.
Even if you think I am a panic merchant, what do you think of the NRMA ?
Posted by Bazz, Tuesday, 4 July 2017 9:28:05 AM
Do try to grow up a bit Paul. Apply some grey matter, if you have any, to subjects before you rush to the keyboard.

In WW11 we were defending ourselves, but intelligently we did it in PNG, the middle east & north Africa. This spared our population the devastation of having our country become a battleground. Yes Darwin got hit rather hard, & a few other northern areas somewhat, but if we had fought on our own soil, Sydney, Melbourne & Brisbane would have been hit much more than Darwin.

The only smart form of defence is to project your strength a long way from home territory, & keep your enemy a very long way away. I guess this concept is a bit much for a Green, but do try to understand.

As a matter of fact, even northern Oz is long range for the current crop of home grown subs, they usually require a repair stop in Broom, even before they make it to Darwin. Do you really think another bunch of homegrown stuff will be any better. Yes I agree, pigs might fly too.
Posted by Hasbeen, Tuesday, 4 July 2017 10:36:13 AM
Issy, I'll check with leoj, if he can see his way fit and give you a commission in his para-military armed citizen militia. Dust off that old Boar War uniform of yours, get out the blunderbuss, and lets see Colonel Issy front and center. It would be finger lick'n good, being a pacifist myself, I'll just bring the herbs and spices.

p/s Our first target is Abdul's Kebab Shop, next door to our KFC HQ, KFC = Kiddies Firing Cannons.
Posted by Paul1405, Tuesday, 4 July 2017 10:43:42 AM
"Australia should be gearing itself towards a defensive capability, not some belligerent offensive nonsense which involves billion dollar submarines."

You said it, Paul.
I was only agreeing with you!!
Posted by Is Mise, Tuesday, 4 July 2017 11:07:23 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy