The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > NDIS why is it my problem, i have paid my insurance.

NDIS why is it my problem, i have paid my insurance.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. All
I got stiched up in my 20's whereby my insurance was put into whats known as a 'stepped policy' where the increases were small at first, but now all but unafordable, but I will not let it lapse. It costs me about $800 per month.

The point is the majority of us have choices, to spend our money on non essentials, or, be pro active and pay insurances.

The trouble is, we are now being asked to fund this NDIS simply because when the alternative is there.many choose lifestyle choices, often to the detriment of insurances, one of which is TPD or truma.

Now if one chooses to partake in health risking activities, like smoking, excessive drinking, even partaking in gay mens sex, they are all choices that require funding and if that means they cant aford these, as well as insurance, then that is by all means a 'personal choice' and it is simply unreasonable to expect Joe average, the tax payer, to fork out billions to fund them when they find themselves disabled. Especially when the majority have alternative, but choose to forego them for lifestyle reasons.

Now of cause there are exceptions and we do need to provide assistance to them, however, why not bring in a mandatory levy that everyone pays when they commence work, say $2 per week which goes towards insurance.

In any case we have to get the through process away from expecting the tax payer to be there in our times of need, when alternatives are available.

I pay about $10K per year for my own insurance, so why should i pay for others who choose not to.
Posted by rehctub, Saturday, 13 May 2017 9:58:19 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
No one needs to pay 10,000 for insurance. Medi bank private is 63$ / F/n and that covers the lot. There are more expensive medi bank, but that covers things that are not necessary, like a private room.
At 10,000 / Year that lifestyle is yours.
Posted by doog, Saturday, 13 May 2017 10:48:20 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Oh deer Doog, i thought you might catch on, so i didnt go into too much detail. The 10K is for truma insurance or TPDI Total permernant disabillity insurance and its for half a million from memory.

Now if a 20yo took out such a policy, and was a non/light drinker and a non smoker, and led a healthy lifestyle, they would pay a fraction of this amount on what is known as a 'level premium', i was stiched.

Medicare does not fund your every day expenses, only your medical bills which is entirely different.

Most people can get insurance and the younger and healthier one is, the more affordable the premiums are, but they do come at a cost, and thats a cost many choose not to pay, and that in my opinion is thier problem, not mine.
Posted by rehctub, Saturday, 13 May 2017 3:12:19 PM
Dear rehctub,

I will happily pay the amount that's required
towards NDIS - and I'm not rich and I also have insurance
(always have had). However I believe in a society where
we take care of our most vulnerable. Our governments
waste so much money on things that are not important. This
scheme to me at least is worthy of support. When we put
money ahead of people in our society, we all lose.
Posted by Foxy, Saturday, 13 May 2017 3:20:49 PM
I, too, am happy for my tax dollars to go to something like the NDIS. I abhor a devil-take-the-hindmost approach. It’s selfish, evil, and only favoured by those who wouldn’t be affected by it.

I’ve always thought that a good system of morality should look like one that was devised by someone who didn’t know who they were going to come into the world as.

I think the same can be said for a society.

It’s worth noting, too, that when some of our tax dollars go to supporting the disadvantaged, we always benefit from it to some degree or another. I mean, your mansion won’t look as nice if it needs razor wire around the perimeter.
Posted by AJ Philips, Saturday, 13 May 2017 4:27:31 PM
Dear AJ,

I learned recently that we shall
be spending approx. $100 million on an ANZAC Memorial
in France. I thought it was an exaggeration at first.
But it appears that the Monument is going ahead.
While I think we should honour the memories of all
those who died in the First World War. We should also
weigh up the costs involved especially in a place where
we already have monuments in place. Also our current
veterans are suffering from mental health issues that
need our support.

http://www.smh.com.au/national/ww1/anzac-centenary-the-costly-price-of-history-lessons-20151008-gk4yaz.html
Posted by Foxy, Saturday, 13 May 2017 4:44:04 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy