The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Gillian Triggs - defender of free speech

Gillian Triggs - defender of free speech

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 22
  7. 23
  8. 24
  9. Page 25
  10. 26
  11. All
Dear Shadow Minister,

Try from page 6 onwards.
Posted by Foxy, Sunday, 21 May 2017 2:23:11 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Dear Shadow Minister,

You touted Tim Wilson to take over from Triggs. How do you view his record as the Human Rights Commissioner?
Posted by SteeleRedux, Sunday, 21 May 2017 3:30:35 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Hi Steele,

Hmmm ....... yes, a right-winger. I'm trying to remember any blatantly improper judgments or recommendations that he made.

Nope, can't think of any. So your point is ?

Joe
Posted by Loudmouth, Sunday, 21 May 2017 5:56:40 PM
Dear Loudmouth,

You wrote;

“Hmmm ....... yes, a right-winger. I'm trying to remember any blatantly improper judgments or recommendations that he made. Nope, can't think of any. So your point is ?”

Yet again I think you have made my point beautifully.

I would say in complete confidence that you couldn't think of any “judgments or recommendations that he made”. This was a bloke pulling $350,000 PA and racking up extraordinary expenses of around $80,000 one year yet all we heard was a bit on gay rights. Triggs wasn't the Human Rights Commissioner he was, yet not a peep about Australia's treatment of asylum seekers.

I object strongly to paying someone that much just to rubber stamp government policy. Surely the HRC should be challenging the government of the day to strive for better human rights outcomes. Why should we have such a person in the role?
Posted by SteeleRedux, Sunday, 21 May 2017 6:53:23 PM
Dear Steele,

Tim Wilson during his years as policy director of
the Institute of Public Affairs called for the abolition of
the Human Rights Commission. His appointment as
Commissioner certainly raised quite a bit of controversy
as a result. Comments like, "How can Mr Wilson possibly undertake
the role of the Commissioner when it is obvious he has such
contempt for the Commission itself." And, "It's not often
that you get a job helping run an organisation that you've
spent years saying shouldn't exist."

Different strokes for different folks.
Posted by Foxy, Sunday, 21 May 2017 7:23:17 PM
Steele,

The salary and expenses go with the position. Trigs took the money as well, and fair enough, that's what you get when you're head of the HRC. So, again, what's your point ?

If you are against such high levels of expenditure for such a useless position, perhaps you might echo Wilson's heroic recommendation (per Foxy) to abolish the AHRC ? I'd second that :)

Joe
Posted by Loudmouth, Sunday, 21 May 2017 7:57:50 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 22
  7. 23
  8. 24
  9. Page 25
  10. 26
  11. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy