The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > This couldn't happen in Australia

This couldn't happen in Australia

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. All
"On December 26th, a pair of crooks decided to rob a gun shop in Georgia. It didn't go well for them. Here's a news report with some of the details."

http://bayourenaissanceman.blogspot.com.au/2017/01/rob-gun-shop-get-shot.html

Don't expect our local media to give it a mention, not when it has a good outcome.
Posted by Is Mise, Friday, 13 January 2017 11:45:39 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Now thats how you should treat a thief. If only we could do the same here.
Posted by rehctub, Friday, 13 January 2017 2:40:38 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Good bit of action, there. I hope things don't get too West Worldie, and another thug doesn't turn up to test the shop owner. I would think that the bloke clearly demonstrated that he is not a man to fool with, though. Hope he doesn't experience any PTSD, and a very good riddance to the would-be hold up man.
Posted by ttbn, Friday, 13 January 2017 3:14:25 PM
Yep, here the shop owner would be in prison for defending himself, & the bleeding hearts would be denigrating him for not giving the poor underprivileged thug his money & a few guns to do more robberies with.

Obviously the poor thug has suffered with a harsh upbringing.

Well I guess you could say he is out of his misery now.
Posted by Hasbeen, Friday, 13 January 2017 3:16:47 PM
Let's hope the next thief doesn't just walk into the shop and shoot first.
Posted by Billyd, Friday, 13 January 2017 3:55:59 PM
Don' worry Billyd, most thieves are cowards.

They will chose a softer easier target.
Posted by Hasbeen, Saturday, 14 January 2017 11:15:09 AM
Apparently there is a lot of defensive gun use in the USA, but virtually none in Australia.
I wonder if the fact that having a gun handy for self defence is a crime in Australia and therefore no one reports successfully frightening a criminal off?
Posted by Is Mise, Monday, 16 January 2017 10:10:32 PM
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Defensive_gun_use#Benefits
Posted by Is Mise, Monday, 16 January 2017 10:11:15 PM
Now this could possibly happen in Australia

"Ex-Army Sniper Takes Out Neighbor’s Home Intruder From Bedroom Window"

http://theseattletribune.com/ex-army-sniper-takes-out-neighbors-home-intruder-from-bedroom-window/

"Elmore proceeded to load his rifle with the custom 7.62 x 51mm ammunition and stationed himself at his bedroom window. As Elmore continued to watch the situation unfold across the street, the home intruders became increasingly more violent. As one of the intruders held his handgun (later identified as a .45 caliber Taurus 1911) to Mrs. Cole’s head – Elmore took the first shot from his riffle immediately striking his intended target.

According to Elmore and members of the Cole family – the home intruder instantly fell to the floor dropping his weapon in the process. The remaining 2-home intruders were visibly stunned and confused by the incident and gave Elmore enough time to fire 2 additional rounds striking both remaining intruders before they had an opportunity to retaliate.

Police arrived shortly after Elmore’s intervention and discovered 2 of the 3 home-intruders dead upon their arrival."

Well done!!
Posted by Is Mise, Tuesday, 17 January 2017 10:20:26 AM
Looks as if it's a bit of fake news. Damn!

http://www.hoax-slayer.net/fake-news-ex-army-sniper-takes-out-neighbors-home-intruder-from-bedroom-window/
Posted by Is Mise, Tuesday, 17 January 2017 10:40:41 AM
Dear Is Mise,

You just went all limp.

Listen mate if all this stuff fires you up so much why on earth don't you migrate? We have created a much safer society here in this country without kids mowing down other kids in our school, without massacres headlining on a weekly basis and without gun related suicide through the roof.

The majority of Australians would like to keep it that way. You would rather feed your fetish. Time to go I think.
Posted by SteeleRedux, Tuesday, 17 January 2017 9:51:41 PM
Steele,

I've had my time on two way rifle ranges, my beef is why aren't Australians trusted to be able to protect themselves?
Come another war and the pollies will be rushing to arm our young men, just as John Howard was one of those who supported the Party that rushed to get guns into the hands of those that they sent against their will to Vietnam.
Howard was a hale and hearty 26 year old at the time; one wonders why he was rejected when he volunteered for service in the army.
I don't doubt that he was a volunteer; just as were thousands of other Liberal supporters.
Maybe he was rejected on psychological grounds; fear of firearms perhaps?
Posted by Is Mise, Tuesday, 17 January 2017 10:38:32 PM
Dear Is Mise,

Come on mate this has very little to do with preparing young Australians for war, though FPS games are doing a pretty good job of it without having weapons poliferating our suburbs.

This is about you and your rights. You believe thay should trump the rights of the rest of us who want to be free of the scourge of gun violence that has so sorely inflicted the US.

Look, we both like guns. I grew up with them and owned some beauties but gave them away when kids came on the scene. That was my choice but Port Arthur made it my country's choice. If you are really unable to wear it then I am serious, please consider leaving. It would be better for your mental health and dare I say it the safety of the rest of us since the fewer rabid gunrights people we have in this country trying to dilute our laws the better.

Just imagine the thrill you would get from living in an open carry state in the US. You could strut around with a pistol on your hip and a highpowered rifle slung over your shoulder and when questioned by police you could tell them to piss off because you were exercising your second amendment rights.

http://www.americanimmigrationcouncil.org/research/how-united-states-immigration-system-works
Posted by SteeleRedux, Wednesday, 18 January 2017 9:32:43 AM
Steele,

All that I want is for Australians to be able to protect themselves.

Take the case of a woman alone on a large rural holding, miles from a neighbour and hours from police assistance.
She is not allowed, by law, to keep a couple of 12 gauge shells in her pocket and the gun handy if she needs it.
It must be locked away and the ammo locked up separately.

Compare this with John Howard and other MsP going jogging with their armed bodyguards.

Fair?
Posted by Is Mise, Wednesday, 18 January 2017 10:01:33 AM
Dear Is Mise,

Rubbish. I do not for a moment think you are more worried about a lone woman on a farm compared to your own rights but let's play.

In 2010-11 there were 9 accidental shootings of workers on farms in Australia.

Here are some of those stories;

“The deceased removed his rifle from his cupboard and loaded one bullet into the single shot rifle and then got onto his motor bike and somehow in the process of getting onto his bike or starting his bike the firearm has discharged with the projectile striking him under his chin resulting in a fatal injury.”

“The deceased and his son were spotlighting for vermin at his farm when his four-wheel-drive vehicle hit a bump and a shotgun held by son in the back of the ute fired. The deceased was assigned to shoot a rogue bull.”

“The deceased left the area on the quad bike with a 243 bolt action rifle sitting across his thighs. It is believed the deceased has hit a log, causing the quad bike to flip and land on his legs. During the incident it appears the firearm discharged with the projectile striking the deceased in the face causing death.”

So you want rules around firearms on farms relaxed so you can massage a fetish? How many extra Australian lives are we going to have to sacrifice to indulge you?

Safety rules like mandatory roll bars on tractors and hopefully soon on quads are the result of addressing fatalities in the sector. Firearm rules do the same. If you can't live with them then leave.
Posted by SteeleRedux, Wednesday, 18 January 2017 10:59:15 AM
Steele,

What has mis-handling and ignoring basic safety rules got to do with a lone woman being able to protect herself?

I'm all in favour of safety rules and stringently observe them myself and if the rules are followed there won't be any accidents.

I don't find the current laws onerous but people being denied the means of basic effective protection I do find objectionable.

This is my latest 'toy'
in stainless steel and with a 6 inch barrel (1 in longer than the illustration)
http://www.chuckhawks.com/ruger_single_six_guns.htm
Posted by Is Mise, Wednesday, 18 January 2017 11:56:31 AM
Meanwhile, down in Victoria, there firearms registry has emulated he NSW one and stuffed up.

"The Victorian Government has apologised to almost 9,000 gun owners after a "deeply concerning" data breach resulted in thousands of gun owners' personal details mistakenly being emailed out."

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-01-18/gun-owners-personal-details-released-in-email-error-in-breach/8191594

This is the sort of thing that makes a mockery of all the blurb about firearms safety, once the data is out then there is no control over where it goes.

Any one know of one crime solved by the use of the various firearm registries?
Posted by Is Mise, Wednesday, 18 January 2017 9:01:57 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy