The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > It's time to cease the Nauru solution

It's time to cease the Nauru solution

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 12
  7. 13
  8. 14
  9. Page 15
  10. 16
  11. 17
  12. All
I see that a permanent ban on illegal boat immigrants will enable them to be settled in NZ or other countries without being able to come to Aus later.
Posted by Shadow Minister, Thursday, 3 November 2016 9:46:23 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
'cept the Kiwis won't come at it, SM, saying they won't accept them if it results in different classes of New Zealand citizen.

It does indicate that the Nauru situation isn't good in Gov't eyes and a solution is being sought.
Posted by Luciferase, Thursday, 3 November 2016 10:24:02 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Well then it looks like they will be going to the US or Canada.

I wonder if NZ will let them into NZ from there, or whether NZ is now effectively banning them.
Posted by Shadow Minister, Thursday, 3 November 2016 10:52:48 AM
Hi Luciferase,

Hi SM,

I thought I'd better separate out the salutations, otherwise OLO might combust.

If illegal refugees are able to get to the US, why should they worry about ever getting to NZ or Australia ? They've struck gold. Their relations would be so happy. Win-win-win !

Joe
Posted by Loudmouth, Thursday, 3 November 2016 1:46:44 PM
Dear loudmouth,

Good to see you back.

You may have missed my earlier post to you so I am repeating it here for your convenience:

Whoa there young fella, not so fast.

You accused me of hyperbole. I answered the charge. You have not acknowledged it and I would like a verdict.

Nor have you addressed Hasbeen's comment. If you deem it to have been hyperbole from him then why haven't you directed a similar admonishment to his way? If you don't regard it as hyperbole then why haven't you condemned it, or do you also regard a willingness to blast out of the water boats containing men, women and children seeking refuge as normative behavior?

Cheers
Posted by SteeleRedux, Thursday, 3 November 2016 2:09:38 PM
Second time lucky. Bastard server, router, language, Gates, Jobs, etc., whatever, sick of the lot of them.

Sorry, I've been hosting friends, and then recovering.

About hyperbowl, yes, 'blowing out of the water' has a Hollywood, Rambo aspect, not usually leading (at least in the film shots) to 'slaughtering'. That's how most people would see it, a lot of extras throwing themselves up in the air - rather than someone slowly and methodically machine-gunning a crowd of innocent people. We'll leave that to ISIS.

And now I see it; I did answer you, which still stands:

"Are you suggesting that if anybody tries to reach Australia by leaky boat, after paying huge fees to smugglers, should be eventually allowed to be admitted to the mainland and, in time, become a citizen ?"

Is that a yes ?

Trigger warning: trick question :)

Cheers,

Joe
Posted by Loudmouth, Thursday, 3 November 2016 5:12:16 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 12
  7. 13
  8. 14
  9. Page 15
  10. 16
  11. 17
  12. All