The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > One of Life's Inexclipable Mysteries ?

One of Life's Inexclipable Mysteries ?

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. All
For many men who might feel alone and wanting social contact, somewhere to share their problems and make friends 'The Australian Men’s Shed Association' maybe of interest, and its obligation free with coverage Australia wide. With a growing older population some need assistance, although not for everybody, there are organisations which cater for older Australians including men.
In my own case I am "blessed" to have an over abundance of family and friends, particularly the huge extended family of the love of my life, people who have never treated me as different or as an outsider and include me in everything.
I came across an old bloke some time ago, who leaves home at 7am everyday of the week and arrives back home at 7 or 8pm. What does he do all day? Rides on public transport, and he's not the only one, has almost no social contact, but is thankful for the $2.50 pension ticket. Living in Sydney, with its millions, unfortunately there are many older people, who have become completely cut off from the rest of society, and live very empty lives.

http://mensshed.org/
Posted by Paul1405, Thursday, 29 September 2016 6:03:58 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
That's a good suggestion, Paul. Far too many older blokes tend to pull into their shell when they have a heap to offer. The world may be changing rapidly, but people are still people.

O Sung Wu, no doubt you've heard the expression "correlation is not causation". It's a great thing to keep in mind when our ever-active monkey mind notices things that seem to be linked. However, it's not the whole story. Every single advance in science and other branches of knowledge has been brought about by somebody noticing a correlation or coincidence and trying to work out what it means. Every single one, even the most esoteric discoveries like quantum mechanics and relativity. Some people notice them more than others, but I think we can all be trained to be better observers. Your time in the police must have had a big impact on your own powers of observation!

The famous mathematician John Nash, who I believe was one of the greatest minds of the 20th century, was sent slightly mad for a time because he noticed so many coincidences he couldn't explain and was diagnosed with schizophrenia, although I'm not sure that was really justified. He was simply a man who lived too much in his mind for too long and struggled to maintain the "grounding" that your pragmatism gives you.

Long may you (and all of us!) continue to wonder at life's mysteries.
Posted by Craig Minns, Thursday, 29 September 2016 6:44:47 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
The suggestion of retired and slightly disabled men being involved in a Men's shed is an excellent program. Being on the management of one myself I see the social benefits it provides for men. Their experiences and their comradeship are invaluable in encouraging men who may live alone. Men get to share and hear the stories of others, especially over morning tea. Our shed has a wide variety of in house and outside activities, from toy and fine furniture making and restoration, gardening, engineering and welding, involvement in community projects, hiking, ten pin bowling, kayaking, fishing and many others.
Posted by Josephus, Thursday, 29 September 2016 8:18:45 AM
'afternoon to you ONTHEBEACH, PAUL1405, JOSEPHUS & CRAIG MINNS...

Wow, what a truly kind group of blokes you all are ! Indeed I've heard of the 'Mens Sheds' a fantastic idea for those who have plenty of time to engage in community projects, not unlike the Lions Clubs or Rotary, even the University of the third Age, and many other organisations of a similar ilk ?

I truly appreciate all your kindness and the many suggestions that accompanied that kindness, but I'm really quite OK, though I did hit a rough patch awhile ago, but survived despite of it. I guess we all have 'some' issues of loneliness, to a greater or lesser degree, otherwise why would many of us spend so much time on OLO or the Forum?

Loneliness, how do we define it ? I have a great wife; and family; a fairly active social life, that's greatly limited by my locomotion; a thoroughly demanding, but slightly neglected hobby (Numismatics). But I do have one serious foible - I very much like my own company, sometimes avoiding phone calls when a mate rings etc. I dislike (some) social activities. So gentlemen, I'm relatively OK socially I suppose, but I do enjoy my own company ?

That said, I live a contented and gratified lifestyle where my wife and I share our lives fruitfully together, and loneliness would not be an 'adjective' that could foreseeably, ever pass our collective lips I should think ?

ONTHEBEACH; PAUL1405, JOSEPHUS; & CRAIG MINNS, The overt altruism and concern shown by you four, is so very gratifying. In fact I'm astonished at the number of really nice folk who're regular contributors to the Site, as exemplified by the four of you gentlemen. Thank you all very much indeed for that kindness !
Posted by o sung wu, Thursday, 29 September 2016 2:21:52 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy