The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Are We Already Losing Democracy?

Are We Already Losing Democracy?

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. All
Reading an article by a prominent Australian commentator, I was stunned to read his opinion that Australia's major parties are probably the "most elite", "undemocratic" and "authoritarian" in the Western world.

Does this seem accurate? I know they are not much chop, but have we let them fool us to that extent?

I suppose the Labor Party's insistence that we are not fit to have a vote on SSM points that way, and the current PM doesn't listen to anyone. But is this really the sort of regime so described that we live under?
Posted by ttbn, Saturday, 17 September 2016 12:13:27 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
What do you think 18c is all about?

Certainly not free speech or democracy. The left are all about the freedom to say what they approve.
Posted by Shadow Minister, Saturday, 17 September 2016 9:56:39 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Shadow, 18C is about stopping hate speech, while 18D, which provides exceptions to 18C, is about preserving our free speech.

If politicians want public support for changes to 18C, all they need to do is provide an example of something good that would actually be banned under 18C (not just seemingly banned by 18C but actually allowed because of 18D).

So far, nobody has.
Posted by Aidan, Saturday, 17 September 2016 11:29:01 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
SM,

I know what 18C is all about. Any other examples?

Aidan,

Your usual support for totalitarianism, I see. No support or reasons for change. Get you head out of the sand.
Posted by ttbn, Saturday, 17 September 2016 1:15:11 PM
' Shadow, 18C is about stopping hate speech, ' well Aiden it certainly hasn't stopped the ignorant left from spitting out hate on a regular timeframe.
Posted by runner, Saturday, 17 September 2016 1:38:40 PM
Turnbullitis disease is bad enough, but quietly and secretly, the left has been sneaking in cultural Marxism for the last 3 decades or more, and that's where the real totalitarianism lurks. Turnbull won't be around for ever, and the Coaltion has a chance to get back to its roots. But Marxism is much more insidious once it takes hold. They are telling us that the 'old ways' no longer work, but it is their efforts over the last 30 years, that have already replaced the old ways, that are the problem.
Posted by ttbn, Saturday, 17 September 2016 2:11:42 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy