The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Have the police given up? If not, should they?

Have the police given up? If not, should they?

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. All
REHCTUB...

Hi Butch;

I've entered similar discussions on how police (including myself) have dealt with Blacks in the past. Their problems are both complex and confusing, in terms that we (white or European culture) expect them to submit to our modern laws and culture, many of which they don't understand. Whereas theirs is an ancient culture that has managed to deal with their problems, quite successfully for thousands of years, albeit we mightn't agree with their remedies?

I'll again reiterate, as a relieving sergeant in the bush, the one thing I learned and learned thoroughly, we (police, authority of any kind) MUST show them RESPECT above everything else! By doing so, is always a giant step forward.
Posted by o sung wu, Thursday, 19 May 2016 1:31:26 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Joe,

Yes. My own ancestors, Scots and Teutons were violent, as were most people. I can still put on a pretty good hissy fit. And, most Australians with aboriginal ancestors have calmed down and civilised too because they been influenced by time and culture as we all have. My beef is with the white galahs who want prevent the bush aborigines from getting that same influence that would would enormously better their lives.
Posted by ttbn, Thursday, 19 May 2016 2:22:51 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
O sung wu,

Can't agree. I am not going to respect people who's main way of dying is booze and bashing. I have empathy, and they need help to change, but they will never change while warped do-gooders are keeping in the Stone Age.
Posted by ttbn, Thursday, 19 May 2016 2:28:07 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Hi there TTBN...

I hear what you say, and I've witnessed what you say. Their problems are enormous, and I can't see anyway out of them to be honest. All I can go on is what I've discovered and encountered when I worked among them.
Posted by o sung wu, Thursday, 19 May 2016 3:19:59 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
o sung wu,
Hi old mate.
Having policed Aurukun I have a good grasp of the social incapacity of the place.
Actually I like the place and the people despite their failings.
The problem with Aurukun id the disparate tribal groups, a legacy of the church failings a long time ago.
We can't go back and the road ahead looks uninviting.
I can remember many a Monday morning, and I bet if you looked at the day these videoed fights were occurring you would find it was a Monday,
when we, as police, were required to do two things by the government.
1 Observe only with toilet paper stuffed in our holsters instead of weapons and
2 Make sure there were at least two Flying Doctor planes on the airstrip to attend to and fly out casualties'
One set of clans would line up outside the Council Offices in Kang Street and the opposing clans facing them and the weekly battle would take place.
I have seen star pickets wrapped in barb wire speared through the belly of a pregnant 13 year old.
Such is the vicious nature of these people and their feuds.
We were never allowed to intervene and nobody was ever charged.
We sent the injured off to Cairns and the town went about its business.
It reminded me of a short story (true) about a druid village in Wales called "The Lottery"
Who ever won the lottery got stoned to death by the village and that allegedly removed the aggression from the village for a whole year.
I have neighbors from Aurukun and two of her brothers are doing 'life' for murder.
Its in their blood.
I have wrote volumes on the problem and I still don't have a solution.
Incidentally I am going back to Aurukun in a weeks time so I'll keep you posted mate.
Cheers
Posted by chrisgaff1000, Monday, 23 May 2016 7:18:54 PM
Hi there CHRISGAFF1000...

Thanks a lot for your most interesting insights and commentary into this entirely puzzling and complex problem(s) that have intermittently erupted in the troubled Aurukun communities.

I've mentioned previously herein, that I was a relieving sergeant in the bush over a period of a couple of years, and boy did I learn heaps. Particularly the need to accord proper respect for our indigenous blacks. And I reckon I just managed to scratch the surface of identifying and establishing the main (root) causes of domestic violence; excessive alcohol use; and the availability to easily access many of the hard drugs within their dysfunctional communities.

I raised another topic on The Forum, concerning 'Respect for the traditions of our Courts'. Discussing this rash of arrogance and rudeness displayed by some from the Islamic community by not standing, whenever the Magistrate enters the Court. Deferring to the teachings of Allah, rather than submitting to our secular rituals?

I mentioned the 'Anunga Rules' the additional protocol added to the 'Judges Rules' specifically for the benefits and protection of our indigenous people who are about to be charged for a criminal offence.

Actually Chris, I was hoping you would expand upon that precise topic...; 'as my memory is exhausted your worship and I don't have my notes from which to refresh it' (sic)?

Anyway ol' mate please take a quick squizz at it, if you have both the time and the inclination please Chris?
Posted by o sung wu, Monday, 23 May 2016 8:58:05 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy