The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > We may not need a banking royal commision, but a please explain on EFTPOS would be nice

We may not need a banking royal commision, but a please explain on EFTPOS would be nice

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. All
EFTPOS is a huge part of the modern day retail business today, with this type of payment accounting for around 65% of all payments, up from less than 20% 20 years ago.

The introduction of PAY PASS is one that puzzles me, along with recent changes to the options when selecting ones account, eg; 1 used to be cheque, 2 was savings (there's a laugh) and 3 credit.
Just recently the option have all changd and not even the same with all cards, plus, shoppers are growing wary of PAY PASS, mainly because they say the money does not come out for up to three days. meaning they can quite easily overspend.

So my question is, have the banks deliberately changed the options, hoping some will now chose a FEE CHARGING option, while the pay pass may be a trap so the banks can charge an overdrawn fee for over spending.

I do think the banks need to be sent a 'please explain 'letter as to why they have made these changes.

BTW, banks have no control over pay pass as this is controlled by VISA.
Posted by rehctub, Sunday, 10 April 2016 8:34:00 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
The trade union royal commission was extremely useful in exposing systemic corruption, thuggery and criminal activity, and highlighting the need for an independent commission to monitor and punish these criminal elements in the building industry.

An RC should highlight the need for a similar organisation for banking. Perhaps we should call it the Australian Securities and Investments Commission.

Oh dear! it already exists, and is already catching and punishing misbehaviour in the banking system. So Why does Labor need an $80m RC?
Posted by Shadow Minister, Monday, 11 April 2016 9:54:51 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Quote "So Why does Labor need an $80m RC?"

Could it be to pay back the lawyers and people who have to be repaid for past favors to certain Labor officials at taxpayer expense.

Corruption disguised. Any money Slater and Gordon will be high on the list to get some of that $80 million.
Posted by Philip S, Monday, 11 April 2016 11:06:19 AM
Hi All,
I brought these issues up with the bank.
Incorrect balances, Overdrawn fees and no choice out of Paywave.
The worst part is I don't even use paywave anyway, I still elect to swipe the card and use my pin, meaning the option on my card is nothing more than a liability where I could be scammed and left open to loss.

Also as far as I know if someone steals and uses your card they only reimburse from the time that you realise you card is stolen and have contacted them, at which point they stop access to making transactions and lose nothing.

Its the customer who's left exposed to risk and loss, I'm sure the banks insured for their losses, but not for yours.

Paywave sucks.

If someone ever steals my card I'm going to go into the bank and go ballistic.
I don't even care if its some poor staff member that doesn't personally deserve it.
It's their new systems they force on us which fail to protect us.
Whats the point of even having a pin anymore?
Why bother locking your car, house or anything?
Why don't we all just leave our wallets out on the footpath?
May as well.

Maybe I should proactively protect myself by taking a hammer to the RFID chip in the card.
Posted by Armchair Critic, Monday, 11 April 2016 11:52:03 AM
Dear Critic,

<<Maybe I should proactively protect myself by taking a hammer to the RFID chip in the card.>>

I did exactly this when I received an unwanted one. See instructions: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oD1QwLkTlxw
Posted by Yuyutsu, Monday, 11 April 2016 2:31:03 PM
As I don't have one I can suggest someone try this.

Get some alfoil wrap put this card in it and see if the card works or not if it doesn't just keep your card in the foil when not in use.

I have seen stories of some scanners people can walk around with that can read the data if close by. What can be read can be cloned.
Posted by Philip S, Monday, 11 April 2016 3:18:59 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy