The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Does The Mainstream Media Support Illegal Abortion?

Does The Mainstream Media Support Illegal Abortion?

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. All
I came across a couple a few articles today as the mainstream media seeks to score points derailing Donald Trumps campaign.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/world/news/article.cfm?c_id=2&objectid=11614961

http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2016/mar/31/donald-trump-abortion-remarks-biggest-campaign-crisis

I'm not bringing this up to defend Donald Trump;
I'm not even bringing this up as a means of debate for or against abortion;

But rather to ask the question "Does the Mainstream Media Openly Support Illegal Abortion"?

My point is this if it is in fact illegal to abort a 8mth old fetus, then shouldn't there be some kind of penalty to put in place to prevent abortionists and their clients from doing what is illegal?

Would this not force women to make decisions about terminating a pregnancy earlier when the child is less developed?

And what happens if some caring guy was looking after her for 8mths with the impression she was going to have his child and then she changes her mind and the man has no say after he'd been giving himself financially and emotionally during her pregnancy?
Is this not a side issue to take into account?

In any case it seems to me the media is openly supporting illegal practices.
Posted by Armchair Critic, Friday, 1 April 2016 6:43:26 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
This is an Australian example of informative and fair reporting, wouldn't you say?

http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/i-felt-i-had-been-abandoned-inconsistency-and-fear-surrounds-lateterm-abortion-20141121-11r83k.html

Just to comment on the linked article not that it is necessary, my wife and I would definitely have sought a termination in that circumstance and for many obvious reasons.

Where I believe the media could be conducting investigative reporting but doesn't, is into the reasons behind the unexpected, inordinate number of terminations forced upon young working couples in their twenties who want children but cannot afford to have them and are delaying their children and often too late. The flow-on effects of over-enthusiastic immigration policies by successive federal governments are already known to be a prime contributor to this sorry state of affairs.
Posted by onthebeach, Friday, 1 April 2016 1:05:05 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Perhaps the mainstream media, citizens, and anybody capable of getting on with life can recognise that there are many instances where abortions should not be illegal, and that the insistence on "punishment" and it's unavoidable consequences just makes the "illegality" more ludicrous.

If "legality" is the issue, better get those laws fair and just and constitutional before harping on.

Rusty
Posted by Rusty Catheter, Friday, 1 April 2016 7:22:47 PM
'Mainstream Media' doesn't have to report on Trump to try to derail his campaign, he is doing that perfectly well for his mad self. And I rejoice at every stumble he makes.

Mainstream Media usually reports what it thinks the majority of people will agree is necessary to be kept informed. I very much doubt mainstream media would ever 'support' abortions being done at 8 months gestation because that would be very rare news indeed, but is known to be falsely reported about by lying anti-choice advocates.
Posted by Suseonline, Saturday, 2 April 2016 1:43:29 AM
AC,

This is a silly question. If the abortion is illegal then there is a penalty.

In the US a foetus over 6 months is recognised as a person, so abortion is illegal except in a medical emergency.

Similarly, abortion on demand is available only up to 20 weeks, after which only a medical problem with the foetus such down's syndrome or mother will allow a late term abortion.

However, as 95% of all on demand abortions occur within 12 weeks and so are not only perfectly legal, but with little to no risk to the mother.
Posted by Shadow Minister, Saturday, 2 April 2016 9:00:19 AM
Hey onthebeach,
I most definitely do think that there should be exemptions for when the unborn child has physical or mental disabilities.
I think the parents should be given more discretion in these situations, mainly because they are the one who must care for them.

I sometimes think its unfair that taxpayers must pay for these kids, for their welfare and for people to look after them.
But I wouldn't take the choice away from parents who wanted to keep them, if they did want to.

I do think its pretty sad that the 8mth old unborn was aborted, that he/she never got a chance at life because of the cleft hand but I do understand the reason why they made that decision, that he/she would be discriminated against and not have an easy life.

But women who do wish to have an abortion should be encouraged to make their minds up early, and the laws should be clearer.

I cant help thinking that the Prince Albert made a heap $ out of that abortion, after the US stories about Planned Parenthood and the body parts and sales controversy, though I didn't start this thread to shed light on that.

My reason for posting this article was more the shock of seeing articles where the media seemed to indicate they supported illegal practices whilst holding a popular women's position whilst attempting to score points against Trump.

I'm not necessarily against abortion, I know there's circumstances such as rape where its certainly reasonable and others, where its just plain preferable, these are facts of life, but I won't revel in the practice or assume that it should be used as a simple form of birth control.
I think taking the life of an unborn child is still a pretty sad thing and the should be taken at least somewhat seriously.
Posted by Armchair Critic, Saturday, 2 April 2016 11:19:59 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy