The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Defence Ripoff?

Defence Ripoff?

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. All
The rifle ripoff is unlikely to be the largest.
The cake will be taken by ordering 12 diesel submarines from no matter where.
In the event of real confrontation we will get one patrol out of them
and they will be then tied up at the dock for the duration.

Australia will have no fuel by then unless they could run on natural gas.
No refineries means no fuel. Imports would be unlikely as the insurers
would stop all tankers heading for Australia.
Sydney needs two a day, I don't know what the total would be for
Australia, six a day perhaps, which means a total of around 200 tankers.
All that instead of buying say three US nuclear submarines.
My polly tells me cabinet discussed the nuclear subs but decided against.
Posted by Bazz, Monday, 1 February 2016 11:46:36 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Ismise: I forgot to mention that the trigger return plunger had to be changed or shortened as it was made long to stop the troops from removing the change lever of the L1A1 and firing full auto.
It was a good rifle but some of the changes that were made from the parent Browning, to save production costs, ended up costing more in repairs than was saved.

Nah, All you had to do was take the spring from on top of the Holding Open Device & put it underneath like it was originally designed in the FN.

Yes, a few of our Scouts did the same in 1 R.A.R 65/66. The trouble with the SLR was it was full of sticky out bits that caught on every dam thing. Barrel & Gas Plug, Front sights, Back Sights, Magazine & Release Lever, Carrying Handle & sling things. First thing I did was to remove that bloody carrying handle. Of course it depended on weather you were in close country or walking through the wide open spaces of Paddy fields in single file on the Paddy Bunds. ;-) So much for Open File in Open Country. Something they refused to teach once back in Australia.

I believe when the Styer was first introduced in the mid 80's it was Modified for Safety reasons ?? & that modification got a couple of Diggers killed.
Posted by Jayb, Monday, 1 February 2016 11:53:48 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Hi there IS MISE...

I wasn't aware of any (inferior) cost cutting in the production process initiated by Browning themselves, where the L1A1's were concerned? A real pity as most of the troops liked the weapon, which proved to be miles ahead of the legendary Bolt action SMLE .303, which it subsequently replaced. Still and all, the old .303 proved itself invincible, time after time after time!

As far as any grunt inspired, unauthorised conversion from semi-auto to that of full rock 'n roll, I wasn't shown how it was done, therefore I remained in a state of innocent oblivion? Obviously some very naughty 'armourer' led some poorly informed grunt astray, by showing him how to achieve this conversion? They were the days eh IS MISE a bit of true Aussie ingenuity and resourcefulness, without all this damn political correctness perpetuated by these 'petticoat' Generals!
Posted by o sung wu, Monday, 1 February 2016 1:22:42 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I say chaps, do not worry about the grunts. One of the "new" F35s will cost so much that there will be no cash left for anything else.
Shame they do not work.
Posted by Robert LePage, Monday, 1 February 2016 2:37:16 PM
The NZ Army has decided to replace its Steyr AUG rifles (which were similar to the ADF ones), with the US made LMT CQB16 (similar to the rifles used by the US Army). The CQB16 retails for about AU$3,000. In contrast a AK47 style US132Z from Kalashnikov USA is about AU$1,300. However, it should be noted that these prices are for a "dumb" gun, before optics, lasers and other accessories are added. Also the rifle is a small part of that of the cost of training and equipping a soldier.
Posted by tomw, Monday, 1 February 2016 2:39:13 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Once we got back to Bein Hoa the word spread like wild fire. On the Next OP the Cattle Trucks were waiting to take us to the Snake Pit. Where C Coy, Detached, 1st Air Cav was waiting for us. Kris Kristofferson's Unit. When the Battalion arrived at the Truck embarcation every man, Offers included had an SLR. The RSM called a halt to the loading & ordered the Officers, Section Commanders & Scouts to be issued with Owen Guns. The Battalion refused enmass. The RSM wanted to charge the entire Battalion with failing to Obey a Direct Order & Munity. He couldn't because we were already on the Trucks ready to go. After we were about an hour late the Yanks turned up & wanted to know why were weren't at the Snake Pit. The problem was explained to them. About a half hour later two Duce & a Half turned up loaded with M16. The Quarter tonner had the Ammo already in Magazines.

Well the place went wild & everybody grabbed what they could & back on the Trucks. The RSM, RP's & MP's couldn't contain the riot. The SLR were chucked to the proverbial all over the place. The Trucks just took off to the Snake Pit. There was lots of grinning going on as those with an M16 held their prize. Then came the realization that the were still loaded up with 5 SLR Magazines & 100 rounds of Clip of 7.62mm. These were dumped on the Tarmac or left in the Trucks.

Then, there was another problem. We were in the Air & the LZ was hot & the ones with M16 had no training on the Weapon. The Yanks Door Gunners had 20 minutes to train us before we hit the deck. But that was no problem to us Aussies.
cont.
Posted by Jayb, Monday, 1 February 2016 3:19:48 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy