The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Should children of illegal immigrants be entitled to a public education?

Should children of illegal immigrants be entitled to a public education?

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. Page 8
  10. 9
  11. 10
  12. All
When asked about her party’s responsibility for the outcome of its policies, twelve hundred drowning at sea and counting, SHY said “Of course not. Accidents happen. Tragedies happen”.

Fact is, the Greens have a very sorry record for:

- promoting the very policies that suit the business model of people smugglers and encourage economic migrants; and,

- encouraging other countries in the region to think of Australians as a people who place little value on the citizenship they give away so freely, who don't care about defending borders and resources, and who have no 'bottle' to sternly resist if ever challenged.

In international diplomacy it is a very foolish and dangerous thing to encourage others to believe that you don't value what you have.
Posted by onthebeach, Tuesday, 19 January 2016 12:43:54 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Paul1405,

BTW, is SHY still watching re-runs of Sea Patrol?

Embarrassing when she mixes up a TV program with reality. Especially when the always overbearing and idiotic SHY is attempting to bully and belittle the respectful public servants who would answer SHY's value-laden accusations if only she knew what she was asking.
Posted by onthebeach, Tuesday, 19 January 2016 12:50:29 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Hi Paul,

I think I've seen TV footage of kids in hijabs waiting for the school bus in Nauru. If so, then refugees, including kids, can move freely around Nauru, go fishing, or swimming all year round, etc.

It must be like being on a constant tropical holiday, and all paid for by the government. Discuss.

As OTB says, ' .... it is a very foolish and dangerous thing to encourage others to believe that you don't value what you have.'

Joe
Posted by Loudmouth, Tuesday, 19 January 2016 12:53:19 PM
//I think I've seen TV footage of kids in hijabs waiting for the school bus in Nauru. If so, then refugees, including kids, can move freely around Nauru, go fishing, or swimming all year round, etc.//

But what about the ones who aren't on Nauru, Joe? Aren't they just as entitled to the freedom that those kids on Nauru have? Or at the very least, a basic education?

As for the people whining about the cost to taxpayers.... if you pay taxes, then you already support the education of other people's children through taxation. I'm happy to do so because I think education is a good thing. And I have no objections to supporting a few more because I think education is a good thing.

//As OTB says, ' .... it is a very foolish and dangerous thing to encourage others to believe that you don't value what you have.'//

I value the education I've received. I value it enough to want everybody to else to have it as well, even if it means I have to pay taxes for it. Education isn't just good individuals, it's good for everyone - even the mean buggers who'd deny it to children because their parents entered the country illegally.

As a side note: there was once a case where one of a pair of conjoined ('Siamese') twins assaulted a man and was found guilty but was not sentenced for it. The judge reasoned that since both twins would have to be imprisoned and one of them wasn't guilty, it would have been a case of wrongful imprisonment. If locking up both conjoined twins for the crime committed by one of them is wrongful imprisonment, what does that make locking up children for the crimes committed by their (not conjoined) parents? Disgusting.
Posted by Toni Lavis, Tuesday, 19 January 2016 2:49:06 PM
Hi Toni,

Yes, of course, that was my point. I'm all for the children of illegal immigrants getting as much education s humanly possible. It might be all the education they ever get. And if they can go fishing after school ......

So how many children of illegal immigrants are actually locked up, i.e. presumably as if in cells ?

Would that every instance of unhappiness in the world could be banished at an instant !

Joe
Posted by Loudmouth, Tuesday, 19 January 2016 3:53:06 PM
Dear Joe,

Even if there was just one child in detention
that would be one child too many.

The Human Rights Commissioner wrote a Report
on children in detention. Its there as a public record.
She wrote about the conditions, the abuse and George
Brandis wanted her sacked for doing that.

You'd think that the concern would be about the
children and the conditions.
Posted by Foxy, Tuesday, 19 January 2016 6:45:49 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. Page 8
  10. 9
  11. 10
  12. All