The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > When should we revoke citizenship?

When should we revoke citizenship?

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. Page 5
  7. All
Toni Lavis,

"//I take umbrage at that though I agree with your main points, the Shooters Party MsP have worked diligently for their constituents and, unlike the Greens, have never lied about anyone or anything//

I think you may be gilding the lily a tad."

If I am gilding the lily, then kindly shew me where.
The S&F MsP have worked diligently for their constituents and what is more they consult with them.

If you think that my remarks on the Greens is gilding the lily, then I think that what is in the public record is sufficient justification for my statement.
Posted by Is Mise, Tuesday, 2 June 2015 8:24:29 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
We might be jumping the gun a bit, on a number of grounds:

If an Australian citizen has joined ISIS or al-Nusra and committed crimes in Iraq, or has been complicit in crimes against Iraqis, then in the first place, if they come into the custody of any agency of the Australian government, then they should be handed over to the Iraqis. Perhaps after a military tribunal. [Get stuck in, ybgrir}.

Citizenship is not an absolute: back in 1949, when the Citizenship Act came into force, Aboriginal people immediately became citizens, but obviously that didn't mean they had the full rights of Australians: they still couldn't vote in Federal elections, they couldn't drink, and in some States, their movements were restricted. Discrimination and citizenship could obviously coexist, right or wrong, under that Act.

Somebody mentioned electronic bracelets: but if any Australian citizens can be shown to have committed offences, they would probably face jail time. The issue of bracelets could come later, much later.

Dual citizens, presumably those who are citizens of another country before they become Australian citizens, take an oath to observe Australian law. In that sense, their citizenship is surely conditional on observing Australian law, and not breaching it: so to the extent that this oath is binding, they endanger their Australian citizenship by fighting for a de facto enemy of Australia's, i.e. committing offences against Australian law. If so, then their Australian citizenship can be revoked by a court, even now. As well, there are probably international conventions in relation to dual citizenship which spell out the conditions under which such dual citizenship can be revoked.

Personally, either way - dual or single citizenship - I support the notion of a summary investigation back in Iraq, and if any evidence can be produced which conclusively shows that the person has committed offense against the laws in Iraq, they should be handed over - with our diplomatic support and observation, of course. Once they have done their time in Iraq, if that's the Iraqi courts' sentence, then they can face trial here.

Joe
Posted by Loudmouth, Tuesday, 2 June 2015 10:21:11 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Loudmouth said;
Dual citizens, presumably those who are citizens of another country
before they become Australian citizens, take an oath to observe
Australian law. In that sense, their citizenship is surely conditional
on observing Australian law, and not breaching it:

If they swore the oath on the Koran, the oath would be invalid anyway
as the Koran contains a chapter that allows moslems to lie to infidels
if it benefits moslems.
How can anyone swear the oath on a book that allows the swearer to lie ?
This has implication in court cases also, as they could not be charged
with false swearing.
Posted by Bazz, Friday, 5 June 2015 5:04:59 PM
another problem created by the progressives like Fraser, Rudd, Gillard who insisted on allowing many with destructive ideolgies and practices into the country. Now we are reaping the benefits. As per usual the conservatives are left to clean up the mess. No one is ever held to account for allowing many of these traitors in our country. And yes some are home grown but obviously influenced heavily by the likes of the leading Iman who still refers to aussie women as meat. Just love the way regressives create the mess and then scream loudly about human rights when the problem is addressed. Pauline Hanson with all her faults had more brains than all the professors in social sciences put together.
Posted by runner, Friday, 5 June 2015 5:24:59 PM
Use the law courts in a time of war, I think not.

By that thinking we would have had, to round up all the
German prisoners caught in World War 2 and bring them back
to give them a fair trial in our law courts to see if they were
actually fighting a war with us.

We shouldn't have to prove that an enemy shooting at us in the field is guilty of doing so. Law courts are for civilian matters

War is a matter for Government,generals and intelligence agencies.
What proof does ISIS have that anybody is actually fighting them
in Syria or Iraq, maybe they should bring combatenets back to their law courts for a fair trial. It seems to me there is no proof that the American planes and drones are attacking them, only 2nd hand eye witness accounts.

Who's to say it was actually an American pilot flying those planes
you see on Camera TV footage. You should prove that in a court of law before you can shoot at them.

Ridiculous.
Posted by CHERFUL, Monday, 8 June 2015 4:02:50 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. Page 5
  7. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy