The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > When should we revoke citizenship?

When should we revoke citizenship?

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. 5
  7. All
Suse, just when I thought you proved you do have some common sense, you go and spoil my illusion with this pearl of wisdom - "let me save Australia from the Muslim hoards" that our PM likes to use?"

Where on earth did you dig up this lie? Show us the link to Abbott proclaiming he will save us from the Muslim hoards!

Quite honestly I wish that was government policy, but it isn't.

Why do you have to be so damn obstinate?
Posted by ConservativeHippie, Monday, 1 June 2015 8:03:35 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
There you go Poirot and Suseonline - you have a new friend and like-minder thinker - ybgirp, well done.

Perhaps that might open your eyes to the way many of us view your perspective on Islam, based on your comments.
Posted by ConservativeHippie, Monday, 1 June 2015 8:17:13 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
ConservativeHippie,

"There you go Poirot and Suseonline - you have a new friend and like-minder thinker - ybgirp, well done."

ybgirp's been around here longer than you - so your brief comment designed to goad wasn't really necessary : )

Here's a thing - it seems conservative pollie, Corey Bernardi, thinks Abbott's brilliant idea of removing sole Oz citizenship stinks as well!

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-06-01/anti-terrorism-citizenship-changes-absolutely-wrong-liberal/6512594

"As a matter of principle, I think it's absolutely wrong for us to take away citizenship from an individual whose sole citizenship is Australian," he said.

"And particularly be able to do it without any reference to a court of law, at the arbitrary whim of the [Immigration] Minister, I think the principle is entirely wrong.

Senator Bernardi said no-one wanted to stop terrorism and extremism more than he did, but he described the proposal as a "step in the wrong direction".

"The principle that someone with only Australian citizenship can be stripped of that citizenship, without a court of law, by ministerial directive, for an offence, I think is a very dangerous precedent because who's to say the range of offences won't be expanded in the future," he said."

"This is the sort of power creep that I think is very dangerous from any Government."

Tony still thinks it's a great idea.

http://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2015/jun/01/abbott-still-backing-plan-to-strip-sole-nationals-of-citizenship-says-mp?CMP=soc_568

CH - I think Suse was referring to Abbott's non-stop dog-whistling and flag draping to keep the kindling under his terror hysteria bonfire - it warms the cockles of his political heart.
Posted by Poirot, Monday, 1 June 2015 8:35:47 PM
//I take umbrage at that though I agree with your main points, the Shooters Party MsP have worked diligently for their constituents and, unlike the Greens, have never lied about anyone or anything//

I think you may be gilding the lily a tad.

Q: How do you know when a politician is lying?
A: When their lips are moving.

They're all as crooked as each other; it's the policies, not the politicians, that you should be worried about.

//"As a matter of principle, I think it's absolutely wrong for us to take away citizenship from an individual whose sole citizenship is Australian," he said.//

And once again Cory demonstrates what a barking lunatic he is. I suspect he is trying to emulate the ancient roman Senators, and has had all his copper piping replaced with lead. Whatever the case, he is as wrong on this point as he is on everything else: exile, while a bit old-fashioned, is an entirely appropriate and reasonable sentence for some offences. I don't care if the sentence is handed down by the courts, the politicians, or some homeless guy they give $20 to do it: in this case the sentence is more important than the sentencer.
Posted by Toni Lavis, Monday, 1 June 2015 8:54:11 PM
Poirot "CH - I think Suse was referring to Abbott's non-stop dog-whistling and flag draping to keep the kindling under his terror hysteria bonfire - it warms the cockles of his political heart."

Quite right Poirot, only I didn't say it quite as nicely as you. : )

Conservative Hippie, I don't know why I seem to upset you so much. This is an online opinion forum, and it is only my opinion I gave. I am not trying to be obstinate at all!

If even the God-fearing Cory Bernardi is worried about the idea of stripping Australian (Muslim) citizens of their citizenship, especially if they have no other country they have citizenship with, then I am even more concerned about Abbott and his cronies going down this slippery path.
Posted by Suseonline, Tuesday, 2 June 2015 12:18:42 AM
//If even the God-fearing Cory Bernardi is worried about the idea of stripping Australian (Muslim) citizens of their citizenship, especially if they have no other country they have citizenship with, then I am even more concerned about Abbott and his cronies going down this slippery path.//

Ah yes, beware the slippery slope. Always a trap for young players. For we know where slippery slopes lead: poor old Cory sliding all the way from gay marriage to 'animal husbandry'. Watch out for the slippery slope.

But why shouldn't we, Suse? If it can be proved these men have taken up arms in the name of IS, why shouldn't we exile them? This is not the same as unreasonably denying an innocent man asylum or citizenship: it is saying, 'You had your chance, you wanted to take up arms overseas, so fcukk off: we're full. We have enough narrow-minded fcukwits in this country without your mob trying to import your fascism'.

It is not the same as saying all muslims are evil. If anybody tries to cart off Mr. & Mrs. Bajwar from down the street in the name of national security they will have to do so over my DEAD body. Getting along with your neighbour transcends the bounds of religion.
Posted by Toni Lavis, Tuesday, 2 June 2015 1:43:15 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. 5
  7. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy