The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Will we ever achieve reconciliation?

Will we ever achieve reconciliation?

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. ...
  10. 28
  11. 29
  12. 30
  13. All
//I wont even click on the other link.//

Well don't be like that. I guarantee the other link to G-rated, and properly funny.

Whatever happened to offensive comedy anyway? My grandad wouldn't let my Mum watch the Flying Circus because it was rude... my parents frowned on my appreciation of the Doug Anthony All Stars... the only comedians who have come close to offending in the last decade are Frankie Boyle and Jim Jefferies. I think young people just don't care enough any more to even bother upsetting old people. I blame the interweb.
Posted by Toni Lavis, Tuesday, 2 June 2015 12:34:43 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Adam Goodes father was White and he had a normal working class upbringing like the rest of us, it's said that he never met any poor Aboriginals or visited an outback community until he joined the AFL.
Posted by Jay Of Melbourne, Tuesday, 2 June 2015 6:51:41 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
To answer the question. I hope to see the day when true reconciliation between Indigenous and non-indigenous Australians is achieved. Unfortunately still too many Australians think like Hasbeen, chrisgaff1000 and runner. Then there is Jay who admits he is 'proud to be a racists'. None of these people are interested in equality, and therefore reconciliation will always be a bridge too far for them.
Foxy posted the facts;
<< The Indigenous are behind on every health indicator,
they are shockingly over represented in jailing
rates, their suicide and self-harm rates are a
national emergency and their rights to practice their
culture and heritage are being severely undermined by
governments all across the country.>>
Until equality is achieved on the above fronts, and attitudes change, true reconciliation cannot be achieved between all Australians.
Posted by Paul1405, Tuesday, 2 June 2015 7:40:44 AM
Paul1405,

What about you and Fox explain the bifurcation in aboriginal society? Where it is plain that many (most?) Aborigines are doing very well from taking full advantage of the opportunities available to them?

What, who is responsible, for the deep difference of Bungonia Gorge proportions between the many indigenous communities that are thriving - good health and well-being, women and children safe - and those where drunken, thieving brutes waste millions of dollars of taxpayer money and where children, male and female infants and adolescents are abused as a daily routine? How are doctors aware of it? Through the incidence of STDs in minors, where usually the children are presenting for treatment for other injuries.

Anyone here who has even a passing familiarly with country towns would be aware that following the demographic change of recent years, many of the towns are now lawless rubbish tips advisedly avoided by the travellers who knew them as previously welcoming, kindly and clean. Who wants to be abused in the street by drunken louts who steal anything that isn't bolted down and trash anything that is secured? Country towns always had many who struggled financially, however their modest circumstances did not result in the degradation of their environment and bullying and abuse of visitors as 'white C's'.

The solutions must come from within the indigenous communities and the Aborigines themselves. As is obvious from their personal success, their prosperity and the easily found safety of their families, many have already made the choice and are taking personal responsibility
for their own choices, freely made, to take full advantage of their opportunities.
Posted by onthebeach, Tuesday, 2 June 2015 11:17:51 AM
otb,

If you think that the Australian Indigenous people
are doing so well perhaps you need to ask why in
our country , one of the most scientifcally advanced countries
in the world, why we still have the world's highest rates
of Dickensian diseases amongst our Indigenous people -
diseases such as rheumatic heart diseases and preventable
diseases like trachoma which causes blindness in children?

It is possible for anyone today to get answers by means
of a wide range of available resources. Libraries are a
wonderful resource. Of course, knowing brings burden which
can be shirked by those living in ignorance because with
knowledge the question is no longer what we know but what
we are now to do, and that is a much harder matters to deal
with.
Posted by Foxy, Tuesday, 2 June 2015 11:41:04 AM
Fox,

It is your habit to duck facts you have no answer to, preferring strawman and red herrings instead.

Here are the questions again and do try to answer this time.

"What about you and Fox explain the bifurcation in aboriginal society? Where it is plain that many (most?) Aborigines are doing very well from taking full advantage of the opportunities available to them?

What, who is responsible, for the deep difference of Bungonia Gorge proportions between the many indigenous communities that are thriving - good health and well-being, women and children safe - and those where drunken, thieving brutes waste millions of dollars of taxpayer money and where children, male and female infants and adolescents are abused as a daily routine?"
[from, onthebeach, Tuesday, 2 June 2015 11:17:51 AM]
Posted by onthebeach, Tuesday, 2 June 2015 12:08:16 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. ...
  10. 28
  11. 29
  12. 30