The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > ANZAC Day - 2015, A century on. What does it mean for you ?

ANZAC Day - 2015, A century on. What does it mean for you ?

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 10
  7. 11
  8. 12
  9. Page 13
  10. 14
  11. 15
  12. All
o sung wu,

To get back to your dilemma over wearing the grandfather's medals;

If you wear them then you are honouring him, think about it, mate, I'm sure that he'd be proud to think that his grandson also did his bit.

Vietnam was nasty alround and I've done some counselling of blokes who fought there over the years, mainly listening and offering a bit of advice, but the important thing has been offering a sympathetic ear and letting them pour it out.
Posted by Is Mise, Monday, 20 April 2015 6:20:10 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Good evening to you IS MISE...

Thank you for your very kind counsel on this delicate matter. As you say, we all served honourable and I suppose that in itself justifies wearing them. Being worn on the 'Right' breast, reflects adequately to anybody who's capable of making the distinction, will realize they're being worn by a close family member, or the NOK, of the original recipient ?

Moreover, my true intent, of wearing them, is specifically to honour his service in the Great War, now a century in the past. The first and only time I wore them (around 16 or 17 years ago) made me , very uncomfortable indeed - I felt like an imposter or pretender and very 'unworthy' ? This was despite observing the strictest of military protocol, and wearing them on the Right breast ?

Your interesting ruminations on repairing and reconditioning many of our small arms was very interesting indeed IS MISE ! In your many travels did you and your colleagues ever need to do much with the old F1 SMG ? As you would know, it replaced the magnificent trusty old Owen, and closely resembled the Sterling, except for the vertical magazine ? Those who carried them seemed happy enough with them ? Personally the M16 was good for me I reckon. Thanks again old mate, much appreciated your sage advice. Take it quietly on the 25th of April next, OK IS MISE ?
Posted by o sung wu, Monday, 20 April 2015 9:14:52 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Dear O Sung Wu,

Thank You for this discussion.

Today - 25th April 2015, this Anzac Day, we Commemorate
100 years of Australians at War 1915 - 2015.

"From the shores of Gallipoli
to the valleys of Afghanistan - in theatres of war and peace -
this Anzac Day, we commemorate 100 years of service and
sacrifice by the men and women of the Australian Defence Force."

This milestone year - the centenary of the Anzac landing
at Gallipoli - is significant in our nation's history.
It is important to remember and commemorate more than a
century of service and sacrifice by those Australian men and
women who have served and continue to serve - in defence of
our values and freedoms.

THE ODE

"They shall not grow old,
as we that are left grow old;

Age shall not weary them,
nor the years condemn.

At the going down of the
sun and in the morning.

We will remember them."
Posted by Foxy, Saturday, 25 April 2015 1:58:34 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Hi there FOXY...

Many thanks for your very poignant and evocative contribution, it was brilliant and in my humble opinion it said it all ! A century has elapsed since our troops and our close neighbours the New Zealand troops, intrepidly waded ashore on the narrow, bullet strewn beaches of the Gallipoli Peninsula.

Not forgetting either the brave British troops as well as a number of other nationalities, all of whom joined us in a vain attempt to secure the Gallipoli stronghold, therefore allowing the British Navy free access to sail through the Dardanelles.

And eight long murderous months later, the allies had to withdraw, though temporally beaten, never actually vanquished in the outcome of that terrible war that saw countless millions of both military and civilian casualties that followed. Did we learn anything ? No, of course not, not a scintilla of anything ! The human race is the most stupid and dense of all living species, without doubt !

IS MISE...

For the second time only in my entire life, I wore my Grandfather's three WW 1 Medals ! It felt as if it was expected of me, very strange ? My first time, as I said earlier, I felt profoundly unworthy. On this occasion I didn't. I felt as if I was 'bearing' them on his behalf ? Without your comments - I don't believe I would've at all. Thank you.
Posted by o sung wu, Saturday, 25 April 2015 6:06:50 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Dear O Sung Wu,

I am so pleased that Is Mise managed to persuade you
to wear the medals.

We're told that "from a population of fewer than five
million, 417,000 men enlisted. By the end of the war,
more than 60,000 Australians had been killed and
156,000 wounded, gassed or taken prisoner".

We're also told that "The Great War came at a
significant economic and social
cost to Australia. Supporting the war effort and keeping
the home fires burning took the efforts of an entire
nation".

For anyone interested in learning more about the Anzacs,
visit -

http://www.anzacportal.dva.gov.au
Posted by Foxy, Saturday, 25 April 2015 9:06:38 PM
Hi o sung wu,

We attended the local Dawn Service along with a couple of hundred other people organised by the RSL Sub-branch and local council. It was a moving ceremony, and my partner was able to join in and sing the New Zealand national anthem in Maori, there were many NZ'er there, that was nice for her. I have no problem with the wreath laying by the old comrades in remembrance of those who never returned, and the one laid by the little girl on behalf of all the ANZAC's, along with wreaths from an assortment of others. What does annoy me somewhat is the wreath laying by a swag of insincere politicians, five in total, Mayor, Deputy-mayor, two state members and the Federal member, all Labor, so what. They represent for me the real cause of wars which should never happen. Seeing them do that makes me glad I am a pacifists.
p/s The kids got Nanna Kiwi last night to make them a big batch of ANZAC biscuits. The debate is now who invented them, Aussie's or Kiwi's. They claim they are 100% New Zealand, we beg to differ! I got to agree they know the recipe, but was it a case of espionage on their part, we'll never know.
Posted by Paul1405, Saturday, 25 April 2015 9:17:29 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 10
  7. 11
  8. 12
  9. Page 13
  10. 14
  11. 15
  12. All