The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > ANZAC Day - 2015, A century on. What does it mean for you ?

ANZAC Day - 2015, A century on. What does it mean for you ?

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. ...
  8. 13
  9. 14
  10. 15
  11. All
o sung wu,

ANZAC Day to me is a time to remember those who served their country and in many cases gave their lives in that cause.
I remember my own mates, particularly those that didn't make it home alive.
It's the one day of the year when I forget the possible finangling of politicians and others; their actions are of no account on ANZAC Day.

On a lighter note it's the one day of the year when I get to travel free on public transport and also the one day when the local RSL puts on a free feed and drinks, unfortunately my capacity for Guinness has lessened over the years and I have to be satisfied with a pint.
Posted by Is Mise, Tuesday, 7 April 2015 6:43:50 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
ANZAC Day for me will forever be associated with Australian history, as on my first ANZAC Day (only a few days after getting off the plane) my family visited the Constitutional Museum (alas no longer there).

But the Gallipoli thing has no significance for me. I learned about it at school, of course, but I don't know anyone who fought there, none of my ancestors fought there, and nor were they in the Australian Army. They did fight elsewhere, but there's Remembrance Day for that.
Posted by Aidan, Tuesday, 7 April 2015 7:57:29 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I've never "celebrated" ANZAC day but always acknowledged it.

To me it's always been a sad day that marks the lives needlessly sacrificed on the altar of political and financial interest and should be a day of national rage in the forlorn hope it never happens again.

It's become a recruiting tool to make sure that there is a never-ending supply of future starry-eyed victims seduced by jingoism and tales of glory and honour.

Those soldiers weren't fighting for Australia - they were fighting for their lives and the only good that came of it was the end of a society that had been ruled by congential idiots as part of the British class system - sending boys "over the top" for no good reason.

After that war, officers were promoted on merit - not by accident of birth.

If you take the time to study the real history of that battle, including the number of suicides in the trenches and other horrors, the "glory" fades into the background and the truth becomes clearer.
Posted by wobbles, Tuesday, 7 April 2015 7:57:59 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
ybgirp,

Galipolli was Churchill's idea. He also attacked Iraqis with tear gas AFTER the war to stop an uprising and gave the OK to use mustard gas but it wasn't used by his troops.

But then again he also wanted to shell striking Irishmen from the sea and firebombed German civilians in WW2 so that shouldn't be a surprise.

The origins of a lot of today's Middle East problems can be traced back to those days - 100 years of violence and betrayal.
Posted by rache, Tuesday, 7 April 2015 8:20:55 PM
Yes, Rache, he was a truly vile man. To finally learn the truth about both world wars, thanks to the internet, is sickening...the lies, the treachery, the cruelty of the allies should shame us all. But we believed the propaganda, just as most Australians think our soldiers are protecting us at the moment by killing, maiming, and destroying men women and children thousands of miles away who have never harmed us, and never would have.
Posted by ybgirp, Tuesday, 7 April 2015 8:45:59 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
o sung wu they are wearing me down mate. I no longer care much.

I am just old enough to know what happened in WW11, & to have a pretty fair idea of what it was like in WW1. I grew up in an age where the population actually knew what they owed our service men, & knew how much those men & women had sacrificed to give us the lives we could lead so happily.

I was incredibly proud as a cadet under officer to command the honour guard at the ANZAC dawn service in Young my last year at school. I was proud to be a pretty expendable navy fighter pilot, prepared to defend my country. Having toured much of the Pacific battle ground, I was glad to have a son in the navy, & hoped our men could prevent Oz ever becoming a battleground.

Now, after a few years seeing the attitude of so many on here, I am so glad he has resigned. It would not be worth lifting a single finger, or endangering even a fingernail to defend about half of this lot. Our society is now rotten to the core. Just a slight push & the lot will collapse like a white anted gum tree, the guts ripped out of it.

We could no more produce a militia as the one that stopped the Japs at Kokoda, than fly to the noon in a tiger moth. The country who produced those men, like the one that produced the ANZACS no longer exists. We have added to our own few useless, a flood of worthless, gutless, garbage over the last 50 years, & I don't believe we will ever recover.

What we must learn now, is which way is Mecca. We'll have to know which way to point while on our knees, because that is where we are bound.
Posted by Hasbeen, Tuesday, 7 April 2015 9:12:21 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. ...
  8. 13
  9. 14
  10. 15
  11. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy