The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Congratulations Graham Young on calling the QLD election result!

Congratulations Graham Young on calling the QLD election result!

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. All
Congrats Graham. Among commentators I've listened to this week on the QLD election, Graham is the only one to have called it.
There was even a hint of ridicule, I detected, from a fellow (female) prognosticator when Graham made his call, which it has to be acknowledged was brave. I mean who could have foreseen this incredible result?
Politically, I'm sure Graham wishes were wrong, though I'm revelling he was right.
What remains in prospect federally could be just as spectacular.
Posted by Squeers, Saturday, 31 January 2015 9:43:19 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Really?

Did you call it like turned out, Graham?

Pretty amazing if you did!
Posted by Poirot, Sunday, 1 February 2015 11:12:20 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
If the Queensland election results aren't a loud wake up call to the Coalition and Abbott isn't dumped within the next 60 days, I predict the exact same results for the next Federal election. Abbott has to go!
Posted by ConservativeHippie, Monday, 2 February 2015 7:03:48 AM
I do like to skite especially when I can produce this post from 2012.
OK I was out on the fall of house prices but that will come.
It was not on this forum but another I frequent.
Prediction about Queens land for 2015
Save this letter and refer to it in three years time, because it will be spot on as a fulfilled prediction.
The People of Queens land will by then be really feeling the pain. Mining, Fracking, huge port building and displacing farms for mines will be getting into its stride.
There will be an influx of flyin/flyout workers that will be working for a lot less than their Australian counterparts used to.
Where feasible, even they will have been replaced by robot machinery to make even more profits for big business.
House prices will tumble because the workers who were paying off mortgages on high wages from Queensland mines will be out of work and no longer be able to service their loans.
A glut of houses will kill the housing market.
By then there will be most likely a further down turn in the World economy that will damp down the Chinese demand for minerals.
The Liberals will blame it on many years of Labour government.
What could the voters in Queensland have done?
Well vote for any alternative party to reduce the all-powerful mandate they have given the libnats. Yes even the Greens and Katter.
Too late now but keep it in mind for the next election.
Posted by Robert LePage on 26/03/12 at 09:52 AM
Posted by Robert LePage, Monday, 2 February 2015 8:46:25 AM
While I didn't vote for labor myself, I was not comfortable with the LNP's asset sale/lease proposal, mainly because we are about to enter unchartered territory, that being a huge revenue boost from the CSG royalties, which, up until now has been in infrastructure stage and very little revenue has gone to the government.

My only hope now is that labor have to ability to use the money wisely, and given even they have been caught off guard, along with their track record, I fear that confidence will be our biggest looser.

I hope I'm wrong!
Posted by rehctub, Monday, 2 February 2015 10:39:17 AM
Hi Poirot, Graham did indeed call it and he really should clain kudos and so develop his public/political profile.
I can only paraphrase as I don't have a recording, and don't even remember where I heard the interview. But I did also hear Graham opine that in the event Labor didn't get over the line, Anastacia Palaszczuk would certainly not be leading the party at the next election. I must admit I thought the same thing, but a female commentator contradicted that bringing Labor back from the brink, Palaszczuk was hardly going to be dismissed as a dummy-leader, only in that position because she put her hand up after the rout of Labor last time.
I think Graham (and me) got that wrong. Even if she fails to become Premier, she has presided over an unprecendted comeback that has to be respected. In any case, for me anyway, she's already gone up in my estimation.
Personally, I think there's far too much personality politics and I've always voted on ideology--not personalities, and only on policy when it's in keeping with my ideological position. I've thus been unable to vote Labor for many years (though of course my Green vote goes to Labor).
I think if more people voted on principle, rather than their own perceived selfish interests, our political parties would be able to pursue their real political agendas. As it is, Labor and LNP are virtually identical and for my money it's the fault of the electorate.
Anyway, kudos to you, Graham.
Posted by Squeers, Monday, 2 February 2015 1:00:15 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy