The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Big mistake removing carbon tax

Big mistake removing carbon tax

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. Page 8
  10. 9
  11. All
Hasbeen,
Interesting, I wonder what was the ERoEI. It must have been reasonable
your friend thought it should be a goer.
That is the sort of facility that the government should fund.
Just like paying insurance premiums.
It is no good waiting for there to be a need because if the shortage
was war instigated, you just cannot do it in two or three weeks.

Three weeks is what the NRMA report says we would have before it all
fell apart. Also that included fuel on ships at sea and we all know
that cargoes can be sold while a ship is at sea, so what we have is
about two weeks before the the supermarkets are empty and deliveries stop.

I know that people think what I have been pointing out is just a lot
of baloney, but a moments thought about the effect on the whole
country would be if ALL the service stations were empty.
There would be no point in going to work, there would be no work.
The only people working would be police and ambos and hospitals.

The government's own reports have warned of this risk but all they do
is suppress the report.
Posted by Bazz, Monday, 21 July 2014 10:23:59 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
In your dreams.
Posted by DavidK, Tuesday, 22 July 2014 9:03:49 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
warmair, it amuses me when people actually think we can reduce emissions in the future, when we can't even provide for ourselves today.

Of cause you lot not only want to reduce emissions, but you also expect industry to do the heavy lifting, yet you also conveniently forget that they are the ones who create the jobs.

Keep dreaming as long as you like, but unless you want to see us lower our living standards, reducing emissions is just a dream. Dealing with carbon would be a far better option.
Posted by rehctub, Friday, 25 July 2014 8:55:30 AM
I don't think it is baloney Bazz. At this present moment we are terribly vulnerable to any interruption in refined fuel imports, & becoming more so by the day.

I can't imagine what the government agenda is, in allowing oil companies to close refining in Oz. Without refining capacity any oil we harvest is useless to us without a round trip to Singapore. Just how stupid is that?

That is the greatest threat to our wellbeing & security, leaving nebulous things like climate change far behind. Only allowing the wrong people to migrate here is the only threat to rival it in sight.
Posted by Hasbeen, Friday, 25 July 2014 11:39:15 AM
Here here Hasbeen
Posted by Bazz, Friday, 25 July 2014 1:30:00 PM
rehctub
“warmair, it amuses me when people actually think we can reduce emissions in the future, when we can't even provide for ourselves today.”

The main reason I believe it is because it has been happening for the last 4 years.
Electrical energy consumption has fallen over that time but yet GDP has continued to rise.

http://www.tradingeconomics.com/charts/australia-gdp-growth.png?s=aunagdpc

http://theconversation.com/why-is-electricity-consumption-decreasing-in-australia-20998
“Of cause you lot not only want to reduce emissions, but you also expect industry to do the heavy lifting, yet you also conveniently forget that they are the ones who create the jobs.”

Having worked in industry all working life I don’t forget it for one moment.
Do I really have to keep pointing out that there are many ways of making electricity with out burning coal and particularly brown coal
for example

Burning brown coal produces 400 units of CO2
Burning black coal produces 100 units of CO2
Burning gas coal produces 33 units of CO2

Don’t forget there has been a considerable improvement in the efficiency of most electrical equipment for example lights by a factor of 10 or any of great number of other innovations.
Cars and trucks have both improved mileage and if we could just get the heavy haulage off the roads that would give us an improvement factor of 18 for every truck we moved to rail.
It should very obvious we can reduce are CO2 emissions considerably and not affect our living standards
Posted by warmair, Friday, 25 July 2014 9:03:53 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. Page 8
  10. 9
  11. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy