The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Is Australia REALLY a “Multi Cultural Nation”? What does it mean?

Is Australia REALLY a “Multi Cultural Nation”? What does it mean?

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 14
  8. 15
  9. 16
  10. All
Is Australia REALLY a “Multi Cultural Nation”? What does it mean?

(1) - what do we mean by the term “multi cultural”?
(2) – Is that what our nation actually is?

To answer (1) I would Wager that most people think they mean by the term “multi-cultural nation” that we are a nation that accepts equally ALL peoples of all ethnic identities and cultures from around the globe. Further that our society treats and RESPECTS those different and diverse beliefs and practices.

However . . . .

. . . to answer (2) this helps to demonstrate that IN FACT we are not in any sense strictly or actually what is known as a “Multi cultural nation”; that is to say that unless we went as far as to allow each little different group to have FULL respect and equality given to them by allowing them to practice and be entirely subject to a separate LEGAL SYSTEM with different laws special to each culture.

To do anything less is NOT to really afford each and every group FULL respect and equal treatment. It certainly means that we DO NOT MEAN really when we say that ‘our nation respects ALL different groups and ways’ . . .

. . . because if we actually did WHY does the nation force ALL the differing groups to ultimately be subject to and to adhere and obey fully the one particular legal system/culture [the British one] which is the ONLY one officially used and recognized?

Thoughts?
Posted by Jottiikii, Wednesday, 25 June 2014 9:02:11 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
If we are really a multi cultural society we'd have to respect those Muslim brown skins. We'd have to respect their human rights to impose sharia law, to engage in female genital mutilation, to practice "honour" killings etc.

Keep Australia white, it's our traditional culture and is the reason why we're so prosperous. And yes, yes, yes the abos can stay, we don't have to kick them out, as they are small in number, weak and no threat.

Morrison is doing a great job protecting our culture.
Posted by Lester1, Wednesday, 25 June 2014 10:46:18 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I would offer the suggestion that by no definition does 'multi' mean 'all'. So no - we do not have to include all cultures to be multicultural.
Posted by Otokonoko, Wednesday, 25 June 2014 10:53:21 PM
To Lester -

Those stupid remarks about "white race" and keep our nation white etc. is why the debate has been able to be hijacked and trampled by the left.

First to make such comments is in a strict language/meaning sense racist whether in fact you really did mean to express that or not, perhaps like many inarticulate people who lack the experience in thinking to be able to properly articulate their points [yet do not get confused with my point here, I do not refer merely to the non-tertiary peoples but to ALL in our society BAs or not since our education and media systems have destroyed all honest discussion in the topic resulting in everypne from left to right and rich to poor are unable to articulate these ideas] and many who say "white race is best' may really just be thinking of the culture and way of life, morality and laws etc. but DUE to total absence in our schools and media of anything which may help to better decipher through the intellectual mess, the person blurts out an erroneously conflated claim which seems to essentially connect the white racial genetics with the white culture and morals.

To the fellow who remarked to me "multi" may simply mean some and not ALL cultures . . . . . .

. . . . Naahhhh, ya sure, REALLY?

That is, I don't recall open and explicit disclaimers to state that they however DO NOT hold equal this or that group [e.g. muslims or kooris].

This goes despite the unofficial real stance that DOES NOT in any real sense live up to those bold claims, and my best example of proof is how the nation's laws and absolutes are ONLY from the European cultures.

That is not to say I do not agree that all cultures are the same.

I realize and agree that Jottiiki's point is to make visible that very lie and deception perpetrated mostly by the left but official also the right.
Posted by Matthew S, Thursday, 26 June 2014 12:11:39 AM
Matthew S.
spot on mate, where are more like you?

To all who still are not brave enough to openly admit on this forum that what I claim in this thread is completely true and obvious [that in truth the nation’s leaders of right and left ALL silently hold their own culture and laws superior to all others].

That would for example, require that someone who normally thought they really do not judge any culture as better or worse to NOW realise and admit to all that therefore [in line with such premises] they think ALL of the following are totally equal to our ways, not worse or better, good or bad, moral or immoral -
even the Muslim practice of gender apartheid and oppression of women, the fact that in most non-western cultures and practices an outsider is seen as less and unimportant [perhaps why ONLY western nations do any humanitarian work – even disgustingly rich Arab oil states ignore helping their own fellow persecuted muslims who are refugees], don’t forget to swear that any kind of arranged marriages and caste systems, also religious intolerance and hate found in traditions of some groups, etc.

This ridiculously illogical, contradictory and groundless claims is pretended by the left to be based upon what is called "moral relavatism" which espouses that NO moral system is better or worse than others, ALL are merely relative.
YET as I always argued in philosophy esays - the notion of this non-moralistic and non-absolute good and ethical system is NOT able to be demonstrated as it has no actual and real foundational premises to spring from.

That is to say, IF this is the way to see different cultures and peoples then as any of those fake and illogical philosophers and others who claim [like Charles Taylor] that each ethnic group is somehow totally existentially separate from all others such that one cannot be able to leave one ethnic group 'bubble' and enter another 'bubble' with any remaining reference frame with which a universal judgement could conceivably be made.
Posted by Jottiikii, Thursday, 26 June 2014 12:37:18 AM
.. . . continued . . .

However like I alwas argue, this type of universe disallows for the existence of individuals with their own minds and free will BUT instead has a world where myriad different groups exist in existentially separate bubbles and which in each all persons are somehow subject to that particular group ways and laws which CLEARLY negates the individuality and free choice that the western philosphers first used to even want to talk about equality of all persons.

In fact it seems only in the western bubbles could any such free thinking individual creative person exist.

It is precisely this type of erroneous and deceptive use of language and media by the Left mostly that leads to situations where courts and parliaments find themselves in a bind as to how to proceed IF some ethnic group approached them with arguments of equality and ask them to include certain special provisions in law for just their group for instance in marriage laws or inheritance laws [already in Canada as something like a Sharia Court for allowing muslims to discriminate and unfairly treat less than men the woman in their culture in matters of inheritance]

We desperately need honesty and clarity which should follow eventually.
Posted by Jottiikii, Thursday, 26 June 2014 12:44:31 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 14
  8. 15
  9. 16
  10. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy