The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Are THREE levels of government really required and affordable?

Are THREE levels of government really required and affordable?

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. 5
  7. All
Dear rawlo,

This is my stock answer whenever this issue is raised.

Every 3-4 years I get 5 chances to have a say in the way I am governed and by whom.

1. Council elections
2. State lower House
3. State Upper house
4. Federal Lower House
5. Federal Upper House

The fact that the Australia people often vote in those of a different political persuasion federally compared to the states indicates that they appreciate the checks on power that this arrangement provides. The same applies for the differences in voting patterns between the upper and lower houses.

As we do not have a Swiss system of citizen initiated referendums these 5 voting opportunities are the only crack we get at participatory democracy every 4 years. Which ones are you proposing to deprive me and my fellow citizens of? Or to cut to the chase are you going to diminish it by 20 or 40%?
Posted by SteeleRedux, Friday, 6 June 2014 12:16:05 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Nhoj, thanks for the compliment, although I would prefer to think of my self as a candidate for a 'right Australia' rather than white Australia as I have no bone with anyone who contributes and, at least try's to assimilate, not bring their garbage and try to force it on us.

As for immigrants, it's the illegals and this who follow that hateful religion that I dislike, no others.
Posted by rehctub, Friday, 6 June 2014 7:12:10 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Its not about not having a choice whos in the big chair its about the waste in duplicating the same chairs over and over again not throug buckets and buckets of money at the same thing from different angles by different chai Supporting the previous thread posted,
RE: Do we need three levels of government?

The web addresses below highlight the issue, who is to blame for the over staffing of our state and federal governments, to late to make them accountable, to late to change the past but the future is something we can write, to correct the mistakes of the passed.
How long do we accept the mass waste of taxpayer funds, before we redirect and rebuild our levels of government.
It would appear at this moment we would I hope have select the very best public servents to take our country into the future, after all these recent job cuts now would be the best time to look seriously at this prospect, with possibly more savings to come after the duplication is no more.

Who needs THREE (3) levels of government, not Australia

http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/queensland/queensland-health-takes-brunt-of-redundancies-20120911-25pom.html

http://www.crikey.com.au/2012/07/10/public-service-cuts-where-the-axe-has-fallen/
Posted by rawlo, Saturday, 7 June 2014 2:21:01 PM
Sorry about previous post my tablets reacting and must be angry with the waste as well
Posted by rawlo, Saturday, 7 June 2014 2:25:41 PM
To merely do away with State representatives would push all State bureaucrats into the Federal Government to manage current State portfolio's. People in Broome WA have different needs to people in Balmain NSW. Both cannot be properly managed from Canberra. Take transport for instance The WA Government can better manage transport in Broome than one representative from the area in Canberra being serviced by a bunch of Canberra bureaucrats.
We need local needs met from government closer at hand. Australia is primarily a Federation of States
Posted by Josephus, Wednesday, 11 June 2014 8:23:55 PM
Hmmm, a Federal government, 6 state and one territory government.
We have generated a very Complex Society plus many councils.

In a complex society every step you take to try and cope with the
strains that occur because of the complexity reduces your marginal
economic gains and finally these reducing gains cause the society to collapse.

Interestingly that is what happened to the Roman Empire.
Increasing our societies complexity by trying to cope with global
warming, protecting our borders, improving our supply of resources
and energy are interesting echos of the collapse of Rome.

How fascinating. The marginal gains argument is exactly like the
peak oil argument about Energy Return on Energy Invested. Ha !
Posted by Bazz, Friday, 13 June 2014 11:44:44 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. 5
  7. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy