The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Improve our system of government?

Improve our system of government?

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. Page 7
  9. 8
  10. All
O sung wu – An interesting and amusing play with words. I struggle however with your and hasbeen’s iterations that military service is a panacea for all our ills.

Speaking from experience, military service can in some cases do more harm than good. I have seen and experienced barstadisation that has wrecked the lives of numerous young service personal. Don’t get me wrong I enjoyed and value my military service and in the majority of cases the experience is life changing.

I made the comment in response to “Hasbeen” earlier in this thread “What about the Vet’s that have served and suffered as a consequence of their service.”

He responded “I don't know about those poor vets. That $800 I paid for a couple of hours treatment of my dog & a dose of ant tick serum was pretty rewarding to the vet I thought, as was the $400 to put down the one with a snake bite”.

I considered his comment to be ignorance or him playing silly buggers and ignored it. If it was ignorance he has little to basis for his proposal. If it was silly buggers he pays little respect to those who serve.

Individual – Me think’s I hit a nerve. I agree with much of what you say but you offer no solution. The point I have made and will continue to make is a significant percentage of the Australian population are not represented in the House of Representatives. Until all Australian have the power to elect their representatives in government apathy, disinterest and incompetence will continue. I have a lot more faith in my fellow Australians than yourself I think.
Posted by Producer, Wednesday, 14 May 2014 5:23:35 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Producer: I have seen and experienced barstardisation that has wrecked the lives of numerous young service personal.

If you were Regular Army & joined before National Service, bastardisation was "the System" & you learned to work "the System" or paid for it. They say, "What doesn't kill you makes you stronger." I guess that's true to some extent. Unfortunately, to-days youth, not all of them, thank goodness, tend to be too soft & girlie. Australia's youth is in danger of becoming a bunch of sooks & claim barstardisation if they can't get their own way.

I tend to favour a type of National Service. Not for the Armed Forces though. I'd say a new type of Force combining, Emergency Services. Fire, Ambulance, Parks & Wildlife, S.E.S, etc.

Producer: I agree with much of what you say but you offer no solution.

One thing I have learnt on this Forum. Don't try to solve the problem. The name of the game is to bitch about everything. I used to offer a rang of possible solutions only to be promptly howled down. It's, apparently, "Not Our Job" to solve problems as I have been told on many occasions..
Posted by Jayb, Wednesday, 14 May 2014 5:53:04 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
but you offer no solution.
Producer,
You have obviously not read some of my posts over time. Whenever I don't feel compelled to let a few hangers-on know what I think about them i always put forward my concept of solutions. Problem is that many do simply not understand what I mean by a sense of responsibility & discipline. I have always advocated non-military national service, reduced pay for useless bureaucrates (including those in authority) & make the judiciary accountable also.
I also believe that infrastructure programs need to be instigated pronto. Schemes such as the Bradfield scheme & mono rail as much as possible to cheapen freight cost & reduce exhaust emission from far too many trucks.
Get overseas teachers to educate australian teachers, get overseas engineers to show our engineers what engineers really do, get rid of requent flyer points for public servants, introduce a flat tax, the list is as long as you want it to be. One thing is for sure if we keep going like we're doing now then there will be no point in doing anything.
Posted by individual, Wednesday, 14 May 2014 7:20:56 PM
Jayb – The regular Army was on the other side of town, I was RAAF. You learnt to keep your ear to the ground and be somewhere else if a rumble was on. I’ve seen some poor bastards tossed out of a second story window with their bed and the protagonist’s get away with it.

A multi role multi-level national service I agree would have merit. Much more merit that the over rewarded ineffective parasite professions we are forced to endure and pay for.

Individual – I must confess I am not across the bulk of your posts. I have only a limited and intermittent ability to contribute to OLO. I do however I get the impression from the limited contact I have had with you over time, that your intellect far exceeds mine. Again I agree with most of what you say, but your message is not simple, it is complex and multifaceted in its delivery and is not all inclusive. The reality the great unwashed would never be able to get their head around it, never alone agree to make the required changes.

I ask you both, what is the ONE (zero plus one, two minus one) thing that could be changed, that the majority could understand that would be a game changer?
Posted by Producer, Wednesday, 14 May 2014 9:25:37 PM
Good evening to you PRODUCER...

I'm not suggesting for a moment that military service is an essential ingredient for success in life. I believe what HASBEEN and myself were eluding to - Much of the personal development and discipline that is a strong feature of military life, does manifestly assist anyone who is in the process of establishing oneself in the civilian workforce.

There are many characteristics, attributes even peculiarities one learns through military exposure and service life, that can assist a person to accommodate and 'blend-in' to even the most difficult vocational cultures. Sure a stretch in the Army, Navy, or the RAAF isn't the answer to all our workplace problems. But many of the very basic skills one learns can sure help,in my personal opinion.

You may not be aware, but HASBEEN undertook one of the most arduous, and demanding of all military training regimens, one could imagine ? Back in the early sixties, he trained as a Aviator, with the Royal Australian Navy. It was his lot, to try landing military attack aircraft, on the deck of Aircraft Carriers, whilst at sea !

It is little wonder then, that he harbours such a strong military ethic, as evidenced by his spirited social maturity ? Moreover, I would've thought it features as an important philosophical component of his successful lifestyle and vocational strengths !

It's true, protracted exposure to a military environment isn't the 'be all' for success. But it does provide some, with a number of positive and beneficial measures, useful in any civilian occupation, nevertheless !
Posted by o sung wu, Wednesday, 14 May 2014 9:54:06 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
bd/quote..<<..It's because..we live...in a democratic aristocracy, rather than a plain democracy>>>

/living out a mortal life term...
[BUT]..MY REPLY IS YOUR..FURTHER..WORDS

<<..IT's..because..>>

WHAT IS..[this]..'BE_CAUSE'?..<<WE LIVE..*IN>>

THEN THE ALTERNATE..<<WE ARE Living..in an illusory world of paper/statuted fictions of powers over papers/treaties promised mad promise broken..

truthfully..aN/IN-BREED/DEVIANT/Destructive/EXPENSIVE PATERNALISTIC Oppressive..ELITIST/egotistic../SCRIPTED/FORMATTED..PREDICTIVE SUGGESTIVE/Duplicitous/beuro-eratic/ demonic autocracy

>>?

<<>...we elect..>>
from a limited pool

<<..representatives of *big business,
not representatives..of the people.>>

MAINLY LAWYERS..DOCTORS..[WHO CAN FOLLOW THE Script]..
aND THOSE WHO YOU GOT THE DIRT [HOld]/over]..who follow your commands/BLINDLY\..party loyalists and other control fannatics

<<.. Money rules...And all money is working towards bigger businesses, monopolies, control of global resources which includes people...>>

yes and..WE SHALL BECOME 'SHARECROPPERS'..
SERFS PEONS OR FREE-RANGING IMPOVERISHED/HOMELESS BIO-SLAVES/either with the seLLOUTS..OR EXPUNGED DECLARED WAR UPON/TAXEd..BY OUR MOrtal sin taxes..the living taxed TO DEATH..[TO SUSTAIN DEAD CORPERATE FICTIONS

THE LIVING IS SUBVERTED INTO SERVICE OF THE DEAD CORPPUSS THAT NEVER DIES..BUILT ON MASSIVE WEBS OF LIES//black suits..white lies..MANY FAKE Heads/MANY FAKED TALES/A WINK AND A NOD AND THEY BECOmE GOD...by their own statuted cash cow/UNDER THEIR OWN FRANCHISE 'ACt'..controle the act/control all those bound into THE ACT/UNDER THE ACT
Posted by one under god, Thursday, 15 May 2014 9:29:52 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. Page 7
  9. 8
  10. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy