The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > We must eat organic food

We must eat organic food

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. ...
  8. 12
  9. 13
  10. 14
  11. All

In fact, it's most likely one of the greatest scams there is, this 'organic food rubbish'

I used to sell organic meats from time to time, as well as chicken.

I forget how many times I got abuses for over charging but I do remember one case. A guy asked about my organic chickens, they were selling at $10.50 per kilo, they were certified organic and I paid $8.50 per kilo.

He abussed me and said he can buy them for $6.50 a kilo from another butcher and that I was a rip of C%#! I even know butchers that soaked a chicken in creamed corn and sold it as corn fed because it was yellow. Others blend hearts I. With their beef to make lean mince. How else can one sell lean beef mince for $4 per kilo.

Yet, people continually get sucked in to this simply because of price.

now the only way I can tell they are organic chickens is if I eat them as they remind me of our home grown ones as a kid, and in fact I didn't like the taste.

The problem is, they look the same, so substitution is rife.
Continued
Posted by rehctub, Friday, 9 May 2014 11:27:05 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Continued
Another one is fruit. Nathan, can you tell the difference between an organic peach, or a normal one with a blemish? No, not unless you taste it and you can't take a bite then refuse to buy it. Even then, the organic often comes in second in taste.

Unfortunately there is only one way to guarantee organic food, and that's to grow it yourself. Good luck with that because even if you do pay that extra 30+%, as 579 quite rightly says, how do you know it's ligit.

I woukd like to see a survey run whereby blindfolded participants are given samples of organic and non organic foods, just to see if they really can tell the difference 100% of the time, as you are paying the difference 100% of the time. And of cause it goes without saying, that if you're not paying above the odds, you're not getting organic. Unless of cause your grower is on the dole and you're paying cash at the market.

O, and by the way, if not for those nasty chemicals you refer to, Australia's aguculture and meat industries would not have hit the global market, which means life as we know it would not exist.

Be careful what you wish for Nathan, as the result may not go as planned
Posted by rehctub, Friday, 9 May 2014 11:32:33 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Yuyutsu - some organic food can be very cheap - for example I buy spinach or silverbeet each week and it is $3.00. I don't consider this expensive. It is certified organic, and this is a very strict process to go through.

A. J Phillips - The answer is very simple: The toxicity of any given substance is determined by the dosage, so each week the dosage adds up. So the more you consume that is sprayed, the more you are taking in and causing damage to yourself and the environment.

People also forget they can grow fruits, vegetables and herbs at home. I do for example and I also make my own
shampoo recipe, which is simple and environmentally friendly, compared to phoney products people buy at supermarkets.

I don't buy everything organic each week - but I do my best to see this happen, however if it is compulsory in Australia (for farmers and people) - its something that would be up for serious debate - and make people realise the western world is killing this planet - along with human beings - through food production.
Posted by NathanJ, Friday, 9 May 2014 11:38:07 AM
So Nathan, not meaning to spoil your Silverbeet, but how do you know it is actually organic and, do you buy from a green grocer, or a weekend market.
Posted by rehctub, Friday, 9 May 2014 12:23:15 PM
As a Green neither myself or my party want to see "organic" food consumption made compulsory, we don't advocate that at all. Nor am I going to attack NathanJ because he is in favor. The legislation covering organics has been strengthened in recent years, but I still don't doubt there is substitution. Price for many would a a major consideration, Butch would be in his rights to tell the customer "you don't have to buy it." The broader issue of the use of chemicals to increase output is a concern, as is things such as battery egg production, sow stalls for pork production, how cattle are treated, and so on, these are more than just economic issues, they are also a moral issue as well. The use of hormones, supplements and chemicals do present a danger and need proper scientific evaluation before their release into the broader community. We got it wrong with DDT, so it shows mistakes can be made.
As humanity grows ever larger the conflict between our needs, and the rights of animals, and the use of chemicals is going to be tested more and more. I'm sure there are those who will say "animals have no rights! If chemical use increase production, then let it rip!" well I think animals have rights and we need to be circumspect about the wholesale use of chemicals in food production. For me its all about sustainability and balance, nothing else.
Posted by Paul1405, Friday, 9 May 2014 12:31:52 PM
The *ONLY* problem with Natham's post is that he wrote organic foods should be "compulsory". He would be saying that only to get a reaction from the half dozen or so socially, intellectually and financially backwards far right wing radicals who post here (the forum's "old man" brigade).

The medical facts are unarguable; a diet of 100% genuinely organic food is undoubtedly healthier, over the long term, than the terrible "avergae" diet of most Aussies. These silly old forum right wingers, would be whinging about Nathan's post whilst whilst patting their fat, bloated bellies, drinking yet another stubbie, and then checking their insulin levels due to their diabetes ... after taking their heart medication of course. That's what happens from a lifetime of eating crappy, non organic food.
Posted by Nhoj, Friday, 9 May 2014 1:00:59 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. ...
  8. 12
  9. 13
  10. 14
  11. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy