The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Stop the culling of ROOS'

Stop the culling of ROOS'

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. ...
  8. 9
  9. 10
  10. 11
  11. All
alanpoi, well said. I strongly favor a move to better use of food sources which fit better with our environment and less use of hard hoofed animals, introduced plants etc. Done with care we might leave a much softer footprint on the landscape.

SPANKY, when you refer to the race issue I assume you are meaning the comment about white man coming to this country. If so the types of changes we have made to the landscape to support domestic livestock involve more cleared lands, bores, dams and the like which increases the feed and water supplies to wild animals when things go well. That can be devestating during chronic events such as the current drought.

R0bert
Posted by R0bert, Friday, 18 May 2007 10:37:54 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Love roo too...very tasty. Our country would probably be better off raising roos for the table than cattle and sheep. I mean really whats the difference...you eat meat or you don't. Do you eat meat Spanky?
Posted by alzo, Friday, 18 May 2007 10:38:36 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Alzo, Yep, I do eat meat although I notice many people keep roos as pets, rear them like children and in some cases, allow them to wonder through their households etc. This until I suppose in some cases, before they reach the 6-7 footer big reds often found? In this case, no I would not grill my dog or cat, although we do get some funny people on this planet.
Spanky
Posted by SPANKY, Friday, 18 May 2007 4:38:36 PM
SPANKY "I notice many people keep roos as pets" - where did you see that. Probably not uncommon in some rural areas but I don't think overall many people would have roos as pets. Mostly people would raise a joey after finding it beside a dead mother (road accidents).
Where facilities are available that is generally done by licensed wildlife carers with an aim of eventual relaease into the wild.

When I was a kid we had a pig as a pet for a while, it was the runt of the litter and likely to die so we nad raised it. It made a great pet and I would not have wanted to dine on that particular pig. It has not put me off ham or bacon though.

R0bert
Posted by R0bert, Friday, 18 May 2007 5:24:42 PM
Did you all know that roo is banned in California? There is a bill before the parliament there now to lift the ban. That is why so many hippies are on our case at the moment. PETA has been feeding them complete BS about the Kangaroos going extinct if California lifts it's ban. Meanwhile California has more feedlots and factory farms than any other place on earth. Total hypocrisy. The PETA people are always masquerading as environmentalists when they really couldn't give a stuff about the environment.

http://ozpolitic.com/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1179303108
Posted by freediver, Friday, 18 May 2007 6:15:43 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
SPANKY!how can you get racism in my post?
Yes I said farming bought more roos along with dams and feed but how?
Roo meat and for that matter rabbit meat kept many from hunger and it tastes ok.
How is it different than eating cattle?
Can I ask that you think out your reply to my post? maybe re read both yours and mine?
If my abrupt answer hurt I am sorry but country Australia has suffered much at the hands of people who know nothing of us and our land.
More roos die in road kill than for meat or skins, more sheep die a hungry death after roos eat the last grass roots and all.
In the middle of a drought that sees men kill themselves too many roos eat the paddocks out, or the last hope crop.
The time is coming when we must cull of few thousand Camels or stop farming parts of Australia, sad but needed culling of a Ferrel animal.
Roos are native but sometimes in too large a number to handle.
Posted by Belly, Friday, 18 May 2007 6:50:43 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. ...
  8. 9
  9. 10
  10. 11
  11. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy