The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > HOW..IS A FRIENDLY REPLY CORRECT..[OR WRONG]..?

HOW..IS A FRIENDLY REPLY CORRECT..[OR WRONG]..?

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. All
is close enough good enough?
http://www.thedailysheeple.com/this-common-core-math-problem-asks-kids-to-write-the-friendly-answer-instead-of-the-correct-one_032014

IS THERE A CORRECT ANSWER
HOW WRONG DOES IT NEED TO BE WRONG
is the right answer the only wrong one.

is it a math test or English comprehension
does PROPER anglish ..assist math/COMPREHENSION

ANYHOW THE ONLY CORRECT Answer..is one under the true answer
[under reflects the respect]..inherent in friendly?
Posted by one under god, Friday, 28 March 2014 10:06:48 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
one under god,

Hi. Maybe read it again.

It was a common technique pre-calculator.

Maybe some here can remember too the way of counting change to the amount tendered.
Posted by onthebeach, Friday, 28 March 2014 3:33:49 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
HI OtB..the author TELLS IT best

<<>..n this essay, I describe the problem with the democratic process regarding public education from my perspective. You may be inclined to agree or disagree with my conclusions about math pedagogy after reading my story. Nevertheless, this story is not written to convince you one way or the other in terms of math instruction. Rather, my story illustrates the difficulties a parent faces when attempting to exact change in his child’s school.

http://www.educationnews.org/education-policy-and-politics/james-shuls-why-we-need-school-choice/

In the 2011-12 school year, my children spent 100 days in a traditional public school. I did not anticipate pulling them in the middle of the year, but my wife and I could not come to terms with how the school was educating our children. We sought change, but in the end, we were left with only two options: subject our kids to a style of instruction we felt was ineffective or place our children in a private school. We chose the latter.

IM OFTEN MISS-GUIDED/BY MISLEADING HEADINGS
BUT THAT'S WHAT THEIR THERE FOR..[TALKING-POINTS]
it wouldnt surprise anyone..i never HEARD OF THAT TEQNIQUE/BEFORE[AND I DID MATH 1 AND MATH 2,,[Admittedly in 11 years..at 11 different school[4 of them in nedERLAND]..so the teachers usually told me do it the way you know

but i never realLY Learned..the base rules[LIKE CRAMMER]..NOR THE BASICS OF MATH..but ITS EXCUSES..IF I HAD OF EARNED..AS OTHERS HAD TO..I WOULDN'T BE ME

THE CONCEPT Just seemed interesting
FRIENDLY NUMBERS..ARE SIMPLY ROUNDED UP Fictional creations TRICKS..for dummies?..oR TO CONFOUND THE Too wise..[IN OUR own eyes].?
Posted by one under god, Friday, 28 March 2014 5:33:57 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
one under god,

No biggie, have it your way.

Travel well.
Posted by onthebeach, Friday, 28 March 2014 5:37:50 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
MAYBE THIS SHOWS IT better
http://www.educationnews.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/fig011.jpg

education..supposedly ALLOWS Parental..guidance

here is the guiDENCE

<<..The letter from the school told us that our kids would be working on word problems throughout the school year. The school would expect students to use a variety of strategies to solve these problems. As an example, the page displayed a typical word problem and described three methods children might use to solve the problem.

In the first strategy, the student wrote tally marks for each object in the problem and counted the tally marks when more objects were added. In the next strategy, the student chunked the larger number into groups of five and added the additional five by counting by fives.

The third strategy seemed even more sophisticated, as the student broke 15 into 10 and five and then added five. It seemed that these highlighted solutions were increasingly complex, with the third child showing the deepest understanding of place value and addition.

I assumed that the next logical step would be to teach the standard algorithm for addition, whereby the numbers are stacked and added one column at a time (as students have been taught to add since time immemorial). Yet to my horror, the bottom of the page had the standard algorithm written with a big “X “over the top. The page encouraged parents not to teach their child to use this method.>>>

please recall/this is grade 2*..ONLY JUST better than finger counting stage.
Posted by one under god, Friday, 28 March 2014 5:50:20 PM
I hope that teacher gets a job in a bank, I will go in and ask for a friendly $290 so that person will really give me $300. Now that is friendly.

Someone needs a boot in the rear when the correct answer is given no matter how it is arrived at, then someone says wrong answer.
Posted by Philip S, Friday, 28 March 2014 8:03:29 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy