The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > HOW..IS A FRIENDLY REPLY CORRECT..[OR WRONG]..?

HOW..IS A FRIENDLY REPLY CORRECT..[OR WRONG]..?

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. All
is close enough good enough?
http://www.thedailysheeple.com/this-common-core-math-problem-asks-kids-to-write-the-friendly-answer-instead-of-the-correct-one_032014

IS THERE A CORRECT ANSWER
HOW WRONG DOES IT NEED TO BE WRONG
is the right answer the only wrong one.

is it a math test or English comprehension
does PROPER anglish ..assist math/COMPREHENSION

ANYHOW THE ONLY CORRECT Answer..is one under the true answer
[under reflects the respect]..inherent in friendly?
Posted by one under god, Friday, 28 March 2014 10:06:48 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
one under god,

Hi. Maybe read it again.

It was a common technique pre-calculator.

Maybe some here can remember too the way of counting change to the amount tendered.
Posted by onthebeach, Friday, 28 March 2014 3:33:49 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
HI OtB..the author TELLS IT best

<<>..n this essay, I describe the problem with the democratic process regarding public education from my perspective. You may be inclined to agree or disagree with my conclusions about math pedagogy after reading my story. Nevertheless, this story is not written to convince you one way or the other in terms of math instruction. Rather, my story illustrates the difficulties a parent faces when attempting to exact change in his child’s school.

http://www.educationnews.org/education-policy-and-politics/james-shuls-why-we-need-school-choice/

In the 2011-12 school year, my children spent 100 days in a traditional public school. I did not anticipate pulling them in the middle of the year, but my wife and I could not come to terms with how the school was educating our children. We sought change, but in the end, we were left with only two options: subject our kids to a style of instruction we felt was ineffective or place our children in a private school. We chose the latter.

IM OFTEN MISS-GUIDED/BY MISLEADING HEADINGS
BUT THAT'S WHAT THEIR THERE FOR..[TALKING-POINTS]
it wouldnt surprise anyone..i never HEARD OF THAT TEQNIQUE/BEFORE[AND I DID MATH 1 AND MATH 2,,[Admittedly in 11 years..at 11 different school[4 of them in nedERLAND]..so the teachers usually told me do it the way you know

but i never realLY Learned..the base rules[LIKE CRAMMER]..NOR THE BASICS OF MATH..but ITS EXCUSES..IF I HAD OF EARNED..AS OTHERS HAD TO..I WOULDN'T BE ME

THE CONCEPT Just seemed interesting
FRIENDLY NUMBERS..ARE SIMPLY ROUNDED UP Fictional creations TRICKS..for dummies?..oR TO CONFOUND THE Too wise..[IN OUR own eyes].?
Posted by one under god, Friday, 28 March 2014 5:33:57 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
one under god,

No biggie, have it your way.

Travel well.
Posted by onthebeach, Friday, 28 March 2014 5:37:50 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
MAYBE THIS SHOWS IT better
http://www.educationnews.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/fig011.jpg

education..supposedly ALLOWS Parental..guidance

here is the guiDENCE

<<..The letter from the school told us that our kids would be working on word problems throughout the school year. The school would expect students to use a variety of strategies to solve these problems. As an example, the page displayed a typical word problem and described three methods children might use to solve the problem.

In the first strategy, the student wrote tally marks for each object in the problem and counted the tally marks when more objects were added. In the next strategy, the student chunked the larger number into groups of five and added the additional five by counting by fives.

The third strategy seemed even more sophisticated, as the student broke 15 into 10 and five and then added five. It seemed that these highlighted solutions were increasingly complex, with the third child showing the deepest understanding of place value and addition.

I assumed that the next logical step would be to teach the standard algorithm for addition, whereby the numbers are stacked and added one column at a time (as students have been taught to add since time immemorial). Yet to my horror, the bottom of the page had the standard algorithm written with a big “X “over the top. The page encouraged parents not to teach their child to use this method.>>>

please recall/this is grade 2*..ONLY JUST better than finger counting stage.
Posted by one under god, Friday, 28 March 2014 5:50:20 PM
I hope that teacher gets a job in a bank, I will go in and ask for a friendly $290 so that person will really give me $300. Now that is friendly.

Someone needs a boot in the rear when the correct answer is given no matter how it is arrived at, then someone says wrong answer.
Posted by Philip S, Friday, 28 March 2014 8:03:29 PM
You are overlooking the fact that the teacher is marking the methodology, not the result.

The point being made by the teacher is that the student wasted a lot of time doing it his way.

By recognizing that you could turn the subtraction into easier numbers by adding the same amount to both sides, the student could shorten the time taken to reach a correct answer. As demonstrated by the laborious nature of the workings shown, as opposed to the simplicity of the mental processes advocated.

>>I hope that teacher gets a job in a bank, I will go in and ask for a friendly $290 so that person will really give me $300.<<

But that would not happen. It is not the answer that is "friendly", it is the methodology.

Storm. Meet teacup.
Posted by Pericles, Saturday, 29 March 2014 6:57:33 AM
its hardly a storm in a tea cup
its more like INSIDER TRADING
[I LIKE TO THINK IM OVER SECOND GRADE MATH
BUT EVEN I COULDN'T MAKE SENSE OF IT..SIMPLY BY LOGIC*

thus its a spin..that cant be reasoned out..to catch not the dumb..but those kept deliberately ignorant[by this simple trICK..YOU CAN GET A WRONG SCORE FOR THE RIGHT ANSWER/SIMPLY BECAUSE FRIENDLY NUMBERS ALLOw collusion/BY Unfriendly means

daddy..what is a friendly number?
is iT A WHOLE NUmber a positive number or a negaTIVE NUMBER

FRIENDLY MEANS YOUR CLEVER AND YOUR NOT..
NOT CAUSE YOU DONT KNOW THE CORRECT/Number/..but cause you mistook a word..yet its not friendly..its a trick

why REUSE OLD WORDS..WHOS MEANING IS CLEAR
TO COME IP WITH NEW TRICKS..TO MAKE SOME LOOK DUMB
WHY NOT CALL IT THE PERICULES ADJUSTMENT..OR THE ROUNDING SIMPLIFICATION

ITS INVENTED to seem too DAMM CLEVER
AND FURTHER CONfound thOSE.NOT IN THE KNOW
Posted by one under god, Saturday, 29 March 2014 8:12:49 AM
OUG, I agree with Pericles and you....as P said, this particular exercise is about the methodology.....but in saying that I live with secondary teachers and they complain that the kids coming up from primary are lacking in basic math and comprehension. The secondary teachers blame the pre secondary syllabus, and they would be right. I agree that confusing the issue with “friendly” numbers is a step too far for this age group.

I believe the syllabus was manufactured over the past 30 years by imbecile academics with nothing better to do than fix something that was not broken. It’s like Parkinson’s Law of social workers...the number of clients grow in volume to meet the number of social workers available to deal with them. More non productive academics, more ridiculous and useless academic tangents added to our scholarly lives.

Before the non productive tangent engineering of our syllabus we had twice the number of kids doing higher mathematics based courses at uni than we do now.....and our population has grown by 30% over that period.
Posted by sonofgloin, Saturday, 29 March 2014 11:04:58 AM
Gee, I think I was only doing simple 1+1 =2 stuff back in grade two. How the world has changed.

Technically the question should have been Something like this.
(530 +30) - (270+30) =

In any case the kid most likely used a calculator which is what most kids do these days.

Besides, I would be more concerned about the school teacher writing skills, as the writing in green is hardly what I would describe as of school teacher quality.
Posted by rehctub, Saturday, 29 March 2014 11:32:32 AM
What a pile of garbage. Perhaps this is designed for teachers who can't do mental arithmetic.

Personally, being somewhat dyslexic, I always have a chance of thinking 23, but writing down 32. Every extra step gives me just one more chance to make such a mistake. It is almost designed to cause transposing errors. Many have developed techniques to overcome these difficulties. Doing the calculation in my head, or using a slide rule is for me, much safer than working on paper or with a calculator.

When I was sailing about the ocean, in the days before mere mortals could afford sat nav, I had to do all my navigation the old long way, using sights, tables, & simple calculations. I had to develop a technique to avoid transposition errors putting me on a reef somewhere.

Checking your work is useless, as you will continue making the same mistake, or simply not see it. I used to do the sight twice, using a different assumed position for each. The calculations were different, thus avoiding making the same mistake again, but must give the same position line if done correctly, a positive check that both calculations were right.

Having an education system, or dogmatic teacher, demanding you do it her way would be a real problem for people like me, & the 10s of thousands who have a bigger problem than I have.

I have had some brilliant teachers, some tried very hard, but none of them could ever help with this problem, only hinder.
Posted by Hasbeen, Saturday, 29 March 2014 1:06:34 PM
On the bright side the student has had the chance to learn to carefully read the instructions and/or the question in future...

"1. Draw and label a tape diagram to show how to simplify the problem. Write the new number sentence and then subtract."

Given the student failed to show how to simplify the problem but repeated the simplification of 'adding 10' as exampled in (a) by 'adding 10' to (b) through (e) the teacher's comments were polite.

And I had a giggle that the sidebar advertisement when I followed the link was a picture of a gas-masked, hooded, gun-wielding figure titled "Survive Anything"... though it was a trackthrough to PatriotSurvivalPlan rather than other second-grader maths techniques.
Posted by WmTrevor, Saturday, 29 March 2014 8:01:37 PM
WM/QUOTE..<<.."1. Draw and label a tape diagram?>>

ahh that explain this
http://www.google.com.au/search?q=tape+picture+ART&

<<to show how to simplify the problem.>>
http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQAylJFoQUxYX_buWLt37f3JBL6mJ9idbLJmkoli6RY71Rye1r85QvCr-Q

<<Write the new number sentence..>>
http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRwuq4Oc650FDPOkAwDWzpVUP5Kzka8JZ65KoQpiN6C_EdryELRjmhndsk
<<..and then subtract.">>

http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR83MsAvuu3tktBfpD_PrrVxOGDL49Lg1kMoelEnxryLk9kQCwlS4S1yQko
http://www.inspirationgreen.com/vhs-tape-reuse.html

AND THE Answer will always be a friendly numb er?

im sorry..i was always one of the class clowns
strictly lower class of course

ok so now..I drEW AND LABLED..DO I FRame it in tape?
OR JUST TAPE IT INTO THE FRAME..[I STILL CANT SEE A GRADE 2 following the instructive message..thus it coMes back to the teachers not 'getting'..the simple mESS AGE.

OH LORD NO..[KNOW]..THERES A ABC SCIENCE NURD TALKING PRIME NUMBERS
'that make all other numbers'...[IN NATURE]..LOL

SO IF YOUR A SUCKHARDA..You want enough food/your prime number must not cponicide

SURVIVAL COMES DOPWN TO WHO has the bigger prime number

39..diget
10,000 DIGET [DIG IT?]

TWO cubed
take away 0ne =7

no johan thats 3 rd grade..stuff
wait to see if you even get to go to 3rd grade
[you shoulda gave up at first grade..like the rest of us..numero uno's

why are we confounding with western numbers
when the east has THE NUMBERS?

what is a mathematician?
A PROBLEM LOOKING for a thesus..tO SALVE THE PRO/BLEM
Posted by one under god, Sunday, 30 March 2014 7:50:24 AM
Pericles "the student wasted a lot of time doing it his way."

How do you know how long it took them, or how long it would take to add extra amounts to the original numbers?

Adding extra amounts seems more like a waste of time.
And a totally useless skill in the real world.

Imagine a checkout cashier, bank teller or accountant explaining to a client how they came up with the amount they did.
"No, I didn't use the original amounts you stated, I changed them."
Posted by Shockadelic, Monday, 31 March 2014 6:44:15 PM
wm/quote..<<."Survive Anything"... >>..Includes.<<..other second-grader maths techniques.>>

its funny alex mentioned..the friendly ANSWER TODAY
http://rss.infowars.com/20140401_Tue_Alex.mp3

anyhow..the stuff we put each other through..[mentioned later on aex show]..reminded me..of us all somehow surviving all the crap we throw at each other

but/EVEN GODS GET THINGS WRONG...THINGS LIKE WOODSMOKE..
CLEARLY THAT CALLED WOOD INCLUDES MORE TOXIC WOOD...TOO
[THATS HOW IT IS THE HIGHEST CAUSE OF LUNG CANCER]BUT WHICH WOOD?

[ALEX LIKE ME
...........WE..CAN GET CAUGHT UP..IN THE HEADING]
AND THATS THE BIGGEST MISTAKE WE ALL MAKE
WE read the headline..thus do or dont want to read the true questioning /process we presume must be in the body of the text.

we ,must see that it is double speak
http://forum.onlineopinion.com.au/thread.asp?discussion=6293&page=0

coming to a head..reaCHING ITS PEAK...SO TO SPEAK
AT THE LATEST MATH TOPIC..A RESULT OF MAKING 'COMMON' FROM SECULAR...
http://forum.onlineopinion.com.au/thread.asp?article=16166&page=9
Posted by one under god, Wednesday, 2 April 2014 11:01:18 AM
IM FORTUNATE ENOUGH TO BE ABLE TO WATCH..HIW IT ALL WENT DOWNHILL..VIA TV
THINGS LIKE THE 3 STOOGES..TO THE BRADY BUNCH..GILLIGANS ISLAND MAX 'SMART'..ETC..AND JUST NOW ON STAR TRECK

THERE WAS THE TYPICAL ENTRY SPEILL..AND THE One dude said something like send down a spectrum[or eaual absyrdum]..that signifies the sci fi way od establishing comunication....there followed an endless suggestive phases essentially nonsensical to any rodio operator or radar/teq or say a nuke physiologist.

ITS THE PROBLEM
BUT I CANT BUT DESCRIBE IT AS AN exemplary..EXTENSION OF PRETENSION
DESIGNED TO MINIMIZE APPREHENSION..by close enough is tectonically..ENOUGH..4 lingual SUGGESTION

IN SHORT ITS GOOD enough to those ignorant of the fact
A SUGGESTION THEY KNOW OR ARE LISTENING TO ONE WHO KNOWS
[AND OFTEN ENOUGH THEY ARE/BUT MORE OFTEN THE SUGGESTION/ILLUSION..IS CLOSE ENOUGH

I SUPPOSE THATS not applicably 'friendly'..but its rounded off to the most near suggestion..of the feigned reality we get PROJECTED.. DIRECTLY INTO OUR UNTHINKING MINDS.

i was going to take it further
but its \just GOT MORE INSANE
http://rss.infowars.com/20140403_Thu_Alex.mp3
BUT ITS LIKE WATCHING A TRAIN WRECK
[OR RATHER THAT HELPLESS SWISHING FROM SIDE TO SIDE PRE THE TRAIN WRECK STOPPING//

[ALL NO DOUBT TO THE FORMULATION]..RIGHT STIMULI..
THE WAY THEY CAN PUSH OUR BUTTONS/YA GOTTA LOVE THAT]

WHAT IS FRIENDLY FIRE?
FIRE THAT DONT BURN?

WHAT IS WORK CHOICES..BOSS CHOICE OR THE WORKERS
OR AS IRON BAR ONCE SAID I THE MINISTER .*FOR*..FORESTRY.[]FORREST FRIENDLY}..

RUN FORREST
RUN

YA GOTTA LOVE HOW WE CAN PLAY IT OUR WAY
RATHER THAT THE RIGHT OR WRONG WAY

ALL NUMBERS..ARE NUMBERS
BUT INFINITY ISNT A NUMBER
STRICTLY MINUS NUMBERS ARNT NUMBERS AND ZERO..cant number anything
why do we feel so numb http://rss.infowars.com/20140403_Thu_Alex.mp3

numb*er..then dumber and dumber
[i recall in our second born kid/learning to write
near anything ex Pressed..was regarded as writing..it had something top do with confidence building

but we dont like compitance/we gotta reveal to them how dumb they are[and how right we are]..
Posted by one under god, Friday, 4 April 2014 1:30:28 PM
WAS JUST THINKING OF you
a commercual..to buy some ath machine for kids
and i got to wondering..do they teach 'friendly numbers?

like the example was..SOMETHING LIKE
5 PLUS 8=..SO I FIGURE TO MAKE THE 5 FRIENDLY BY ADDING EITHER A 3 OR A FIVE..SO THE FIRST WAT EQUALS [5+3]..PLUS 8=..16..minus 3..

simples[i think im getting tha hang of it

or what about..making the five really friendly..by adding a 5 and a two ..to the 5 an d the eight=2o..[takeaway 7]

yeah its too simple//much easier than adding 8 plus 2=TEN PLUS 3 = 13

WHY CANT PEO0PLE SEE MATH IS FUN
YET ACCOUNTANTS TAKE IT SO SERIOUSLY

have fun with it play with numbers
creative accounting..its all the people deserve.
Posted by one under god, Sunday, 6 April 2014 12:44:09 PM
ok topic seems expired
will use as overflow..FROM ARTICLE LIMITATIONS
to find out friendly replies..to lies..frauds..tricks deceptions

http://rss.infowars.com/20140407_Mon_Alex.mp3

LIKE I WAS JUST THINking..how lollies coke
anti-biotic..and fruit-juices...can rot teeth overnight
we should tax all the causes of tooth decay..to cover the damages in full

free dental paid for by the cause
wow talk about a revolution..the injury causer actually paying to repair.its own decay/revolutionary..eh?

found more rot
http://xrepublic.tv/node/8337

http://xrepublic.tv/node/8346

http://wakeupfromyourslumber.com/video/tom-sullivan/once-pc-gone-and-truth-prevails-shoa-panic-detected

http://wakeupfromyourslumber.com/news/will-imf-bailout-turn-ukraine-another-greece

http://12160.info/video/hoax-alien-invasion-planned
IT WILL BE SCREENED LIVE..[LOL].ON TV
http://rinf.com/alt-news/breaking-news/oligarchy-doesnt-care-democracy-just-rigged-markets/

http://xrepublic.tv/node/8345
http://whatreallyhappened.com/node
Posted by one under god, Tuesday, 8 April 2014 10:12:33 AM
LIKE/THINK..WHO THINKS OF THESE THINGS
WHY?

CBS' '60 Minutes' admits to faking Tesla car noise
http://xrepublic.tv/node/8343

What is it about Tesla and its ability
to make major media outlets look like fools?

The latest example came a week ago today when CBS' 60 Minutes aired a report on Tesla and its amazing electric car. It was basically the kind of coverage that any automaker would kill to have (and must have left flummoxed General Motors executives wondering why they never got it for the plug-in Chevrolet Volt).

Just one problem: As the Associated Press reported, a CBS editor made what is being called an "audio error" in dubbing the sound of a loud traditional car engine over footage of the much quieter Tesla electric car. The Model is whisper quiet, no matter how hard you push it.

Auto website Jalopnik broke the story of the fake sound
and CBS was in retreat all week.
http://rinf.com/alt-news/latest-news/8-headlines-mainstream-media-doesnt-balls-print/

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2014-04-07/ceo-liechtenstein-bank-frick-murdered

http://armstrongeconomics.com/2014/04/06/poland-confiscate-bond-holdings-from-private-pension-funds-more-deflation/

http://rinf.com/alt-news/breaking-news/secret-military-suicides-exposed/
Posted by one under god, Tuesday, 8 April 2014 10:36:10 AM
ok lets call the topic...expired

i have here A QUOTE FROM DAVID..om not sure if its a valid
STATEMENT RESTATEMENT AVERMEANT OR Judgment

ANYHOW THE AREA IS OF VITAL IMPORTANCE
IT SEEMS LINKED TO THE Current ruski STUFF
http://forum.onlineopinion.com.au/thread.asp?article=16166&page=0

DAVID..<<,,Marxism-Leninism replaced Orthodoxy.>>
THESE ARE MERE NAMES..the head changes BUT RULES OVER THE Same body

education teaches memorization..RATHER THAN CAUSATION

<<..Dictatorship replaced Autocracy.><>>

i hold they are two sides of the same coin/used by bureaucracy..
TO CAST BLAME ANd simply start again/new name

<<.. The Party replaced Nationality.>>>
THE team replaced the family..science became god and the dead bECAME PERSONS UNDER THE ACT

<<>. With Lenin came the reactionary counterrevolution.
Leninism is czarism reincarnated.>>//IS NAZISM like the three geads lording it over the other ISMS//jap-ism italy-isM

WHY is this latest way in ukrane..gOING TO MAKE EAST WAST/JUST LIKE NORTH KOREA/SOUTH KOREA NORTH VIETNAM/SOUTH ..ITS AV PROCESS OF duivide despoil loot and plunder

<<..Christianity has served as a rallying centre
against tyranny for Catholics in czarist-occupied Poland, English-occupied Ireland and many other places.>>

HAS IT?

<<..Unfortunately, it has also served as a support for tyranny for the Orthodox in czarist Russia, Anglicans in English-occupied Ireland and many other places.>>

?

<<..Separation of church and state serves to preserve the church’s freedom to criticise government wrong-doing.>>

RUBBISH

I am repeating myself...but thats why i post here on the dead thread
to get this wordy slap out of my head[in not getting whats being said

ITS THAT SAME FEELING I GOT WITH Friendly numbers
we HAVE NEW ELECTED SERVING THE SAME ELECT..AND THE HEAD CHANGES BUT THE Public service remain..

linkage soon/see ctd
Posted by one under god, Wednesday, 16 April 2014 9:23:27 PM
seriously hoW DO WE PREPARE A NEW KING?
[ITS NOT A TOPIC I WAS ALLOWED TO BEGIN..cause im tOO ILLITERATE TO PUT IT CORRECTLY.OR EVEN WRIGHT it right

[how CAN WE FIT THE NEW AGE INTO 12 YEARS/it took us a lifetIME TO GET THIS ROTE...ODE TO THE GOOD KING GEORGE..LONG MAy be reign

let me say again
long may be reign
the sooner he begin..the longer it be

god bless those wgo see the trUTH AND SET US FREE

WE ARE UNDER TERNS OF BANKRUPTCY..SEE
BVUT..WHATS IT CAlled..the king in wasiting..to cpome of age to sacceot his RIGHTFULLL INHERITANCe

is to give us all our fathers inheritages
THE YOUNGEST christ-incarnate..POPE?
doth not the BIBLE..say woman/..THAT children..shall lead us?

cannot the union..of the COMMONWEALTH-church/
AND THE..head-/*OF*\=STATE..under the head of innocence/
AND PURITY..OF..CHILD FORGIVENESS/LOGIC..guided by his babe peers?

sorry..iM SEEING A VISION..forming..the ultimate question..
what should..a FUTURE COMMON-Wealth/POPE..BE TAUGHT..?..BY WHO.?

what by who..of the *OTHER sacred HOLY TEXTS..underpinning the totality..of our common-wealth's spiritual BELIEFS..?

RECALL...HIS GRANDDAD/Philip..s a god

q;..what reading would you suggest our future pope read
before he becomes our common/wealth KING?

Thinking king
not thin-king?

WHAT THINGS.must a present day..[future]..king know?
WHAT Are..the present DAY RULERS..IGNORANT OF OR IGNORING?

[looks like my computer issues/just keEp growing.but really*
what truths certainties must a good king George ..be knowing.?

what SEEDS..TO AVOID SOWING?
tares weeds wheat GROWING?

IM Serious..what present..do you bring..?
to put before our newborn new age new ways of THINKING..baby-KING..
Posted by one under god, Wednesday, 16 April 2014 9:24:58 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy