The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Globalisation

Globalisation

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. All
Way back around the turn of the century there were a number of huge protests against globalisation in Seattle, Genoa, Melbourne and a few other places.

What those protesters were warning about has now come to pass.
The evisceration of western manufacturing, supercharged tax evasion by big business, export of pollution to and exploitation of impoverished workers in developing countries, unsafe imports, increasing unemployment and now they say our wages are too high and we should lower them to "compete".

The closure of the car industry like the textile and steel industries before them and the soon to come loss of food manufacturing are a direct result of globalisation as it has been implemented by the WTO since 2000.

In what way has globalisation helped Australia?
Posted by mikk, Saturday, 1 February 2014 5:46:28 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Hi mikk,

An interesting start but you seem to have lost context and relevance along the way. I’m not sure what your definition of “globalization” is?

Are you referring to political, social or economic globalization?

Economic and trade globalization seems to be working fine for all except the EU.

Nominal GDP growth for the South America’s, 3.1%, USA 4.1%, India, in spite of 50% loss in 2013, 5.1%, China flattening but still at 8%+ and Japan after a decade of debt and deficit, 1.5%.

All these nations trade increasingly with each other, more importantly they all trade with the next tier down, the third world nations. Free Trade Agreements are being signed almost daily (Australia, Indonesia, Japan, China and India).

The EU block has largely shut itself out of these new “globalised” markets. Of course the EU has its own FTA however, what is the value of imposing an FTA on yourself?

The EU has stuffed up very badly with political, economic and trade globalization. In setting up their model for de-carbonization as per the UN, they got left holding the baby because that “other” great globalization initiative called Kyoto went poof! Now they are lumbered with draconian emissions and renewable targets that are choking their individual and collective economies.

The rest of the world has largely shaken off the CO2 disease and is rebuilding based on fossil fuels and energy security.

As for what has globalization done for Australia? Well, all those lovely new markets are all ours.
Posted by spindoc, Saturday, 1 February 2014 12:57:09 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Mikk thanks for an interesting thread.
It focuses on both the biggest concern some have and the reality we face.
Even if a country wants to leave the system can it and still survive?
If that country is Australia my best bet is we just can not leave it now.
Free trade/Globalization has us in its grip we know victims are made as a result of it, but I think more winners than victims.
And by the way I think now, after such as the European common market, it is our only path.
SPC is a victim it once did well in trade with those in that community, we saw New Zealand look after its farmers but did not do that for our own.
I will draw criticism, but firmly think forces we are not yet aware of within the UN and too the power and privileged are pushing us ever near a one world one people one trade system.
While it may take a century it in my view will come.
Even I will think it is for the long term better.
But in truth think a world government is a threat not a promise.
Posted by Belly, Saturday, 1 February 2014 1:12:39 PM
Foxy/Paul thanks for your great hearts and wishes.
I will never change Paul I sit here, rather than still having the privilege to serve union members because my boss, half my age and half as intent on serving them wanted me to bend to his will.
No Chance. he sits in a chair better men should.
I damage the very thing that made me a good union official in the eyes of my members/mates.
If I do not tell it like it is.
I refuse to be blind to any one or thing hurting the union movement.
I took part/started the action to remove one such person we did.
But feel dirty that we lied to the members about why he left pockets full of union funds super ex he under common law should have lost.
If nothing else union heads must concede head lines constantly popping up like those we have seen increasingly damages us all.
Be the first union/ ALP member to put a criminal in the spotlight or know you stab us all.
Posted by Belly, Saturday, 1 February 2014 1:36:25 PM
Sorry PC crash and opened in wrong thread
Posted by Belly, Saturday, 1 February 2014 1:37:48 PM
Globalisation is a failing business plan implemented by Banksters to make ever greater riches. They want nothing more than a global government and global currency.

Those that appose it are the ones that see it as means to be plundered.
Those that support it see their place to extract their share of the plunder. Then there are those that think nothing and just take whatever comes down the shoot. It's the later two that are enabling it to happen.

From what I see at the moment. Those that appose it are slowly educating the apathetic collective.

It should be a good thing, like Australia becoming a republic. But those implementing it are not sincere!
Posted by RawMustard, Saturday, 1 February 2014 2:58:11 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy