The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Liberating Language, Tres 'Progressive'!

Liberating Language, Tres 'Progressive'!

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. All
Dear Bazz,

This is for your information:

http://www.businessinsider.com.au/a-menu-listing-julia-gillard-kentucky-friend-quail-was-used-at-a-liberal-party-fundraiser-2013-6
Posted by Foxy, Sunday, 8 December 2013 2:21:03 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Your're right Foxy, some of the politicians language we hear and read about is disgusting, regardless of who said it, especially as these people put themselves out there as political leaders in our community.

That particular word mentioned though, is particularly offensive, whether said to or by anyone of either gender.

As far as I am concerned, if someone uses that language in the public sphere, they should be thrown out of politics...
Posted by Suseonline, Sunday, 8 December 2013 3:59:04 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
No Foxy, it was on a joke menu made up by the kitchen staff and was not
the menu issued.

That was put to bed yonks ago when it was admitted by the chef.
Same old story grab a rumour and run with it even after it has been
discredited.
Posted by Bazz, Sunday, 8 December 2013 4:04:46 PM
Dear Bazz,

I'm not one to "grab a story and run with it."
I did give you the link from which I got the
information. And, I was initially responding to
Suse's relevant post - that all politicians
are guilty of behaving, like "back alley street
fighters," guilty of "Machiavellian bastardy,"
ar times.
Using inappropirate language is not a good look -
for anyone - especially a Member of Parliament.

Dear Suse,

I totally agree with you.
Inappropriate language should not be acceptable
from any of our Members of Parliament.
Posted by Foxy, Sunday, 8 December 2013 4:33:57 PM
cont'd ...

Dear Bazz,

I forgot to add that the menu was widely circulated on
social media and Mal Brough did not go into denial
mode (or apologise) until it was widely circulated and
caused a stir. And,
It was pointed out the event was organised by Mr Brough
and he's not an inexperienced politician.

Anyway, Mr Abbott summed things up rather well when he
stated:

"Whether it's a tacky, scatological menu out the front of
a Liberal Party event. Whether it's squalid jokes told at
union conference dinners with ministers present.
Whatever it is, I think we should be better than that."

And that also includes - a female politician re-tweeted abusive
language against another MP.
Posted by Foxy, Sunday, 8 December 2013 7:07:08 PM
Suseonline, "What a disgusting topic. I'm amazed that you two pretend to be offended by such language, or is it just because it was a nasty woman who said it?"

No surprise that your knee-jerk reaction is to blame the messenger.

No surprises later that it is the defensive "But they all do it" from OLO's experts on misogyny.

To repeat, there was a thunderous silence from her mates of Emily's List, where members of the 'Handbag Hit Squad' are still prominent and some are also in the federal shadow cabinet. This is the mob who worked themselves into a frothing, indignant, self-righteous rage over a 'Meow' in parliament when Penny Wong was speaking, and Wong herself was stern and outraged, even victimised - according to her.

BTW, when will Labor leader Bill Shorten be apologising for the obscenity, and when will he be demanding the perpetrator's head on a pike as he would certainly have done if the boot was on the other fault.

Blatant hypocrisy, again.
Posted by onthebeach, Sunday, 8 December 2013 7:47:51 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy