The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > OPEN thread about what election policies or issues etc annoy you.

OPEN thread about what election policies or issues etc annoy you.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 9
  7. 10
  8. 11
  9. Page 12
  10. 13
  11. 14
  12. All
pelican,
You may see this policy as a nonsense however when you realise it costs the public purse over $50,000 per long term unemployed in dole and contributory costs such as medical, optical and dental care (free if your on the dole)charity handouts (funded in part by the govt) wasted training and education costs for unemployed and a host of costs associated with drug, alcohol and criminal activities even you would have to agree that $15,000 paid to someone after 12 months in a tax paying job is not a bad investment.
Posted by chrisgaff1000, Wednesday, 28 August 2013 10:10:22 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
pelican,

You might say that parental leave would qualify Abbott for a 'Darwin Award', but you are not criticising Labor for introducing maternity leave or unions for bargaining for and gaining parental leave. Maybe offence is in the eye of the beholder, Or more likely it depends on who is proposing the initiative.

To take it further, you would not object to the free jobs and assisted careers in the federal public service for women and indigenous, and more recently on multicultural grounds, although the taxpayer is paying for those 'initiatives'. There is no difference between such initiatives that you and others here have supported as 'justified', or even for what you contend is the (very dubious) advantage of the public service 'representing diversity' and the taxpayer stumping up the money for it. 'Progressives' got rid of 'traditional' merit in recruitment and selection.

Hue and cry that is a popular tool to discredit. You and others are using the tool here. The hope is that the voters the Left is trying to sway are the stupid 'punters' that Kevin Rudd is forever calling them. Simply amazing how the Left cannot trust the judgement of the very people they say they represent. But then the Left always presumes to know what is best for others anyhow.

Regarding the bonus for unemployed who get jobs, including moving for the same purpose, what costs are there in lost production, welfare payments and crime in NOT breaking the cycle and tradition of 'Houso' welfare? From police reports there are Houso families they are called to visit every week. Children are being raised in those houses and as teachers will attest, the adults present punish children who do well at school. You would oppose removal of the children, so what other solution do you have?
Posted by onthebeach, Wednesday, 28 August 2013 1:31:52 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
there is a lot of suss stuff going on..even as i watchthe softie press club/lunch 'debait'..between hokey/cream

from it

i understand..the libs are rolling back..
the private medic-insurance SUBSIDY..labor..rolled up

joe hockey just said..its mainly FOR*..the poor
[@..press-club]..if this is true..that explains the SCAM*

see if your sick..y
ou just show your medicare card
and its all free

but..if you claim..private
you..*must pay a percentage..of what often becomes..a huge bill..[on top of being sick]..plus maybe even HIGHER premium

[ie IF..you took joes..cash/splash]
which..crean says will soon cost 70%..medicare cost?

BUT..if you pay..PRIVATE*..[ie the joe/lib/poor..only..lol]
or the rich..only getting it in..name only..

to avoid punitive extra govt punitive costs

i feel..its a scam
what am i missing..?

[they ARE missing..informed consent]
or signing up for..just to get some free shoes?

or some other perceived advantage?
isnt it free..in medicare/compulsory super?

ITS ONLY TO BAILOUT THE INSURANCE/fat cats
the undrwritters..of junkbonds..needing yet more govt BAIL-out

by bailing-in..
the ignorant in with libertarian stooge spin

please explain?
Posted by one under god, Wednesday, 28 August 2013 1:33:36 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
OTB
I have been equally critical of Labor. Rather than criticising others' views why not declare your stance and the reasons for or against.

IMO the PPL is overly generous. That does not ipso facto mean I am against any sort of workplace entitlement. Politicians are always telling us it is about balance but it is one thing to preach about the Age of Entitlement (of which in part I agree with the Libs on this) and another to propose a policy that is suspect.

Chris
I am not disputing the costs of long term unemployment but am asking how will the $15,000 bonus work to reduce those numbers. Many people who are long term unemployed have issues (medical/personal) that make employers unwilling to hire them. Others are in regional areas where jobs may not be abundant and are unwilling to move. Others are just so used to welfare they find it hard to get off it, especially if they have been raised to expect and depend on welfare for a long period.

I am all for welfare to support people through difficult times and to support people to find work.

Why not use this money instead to assist people get work through education, skills, assistance to get to interviews or move for work etc. This is hands-on help not cash giveaways. I think it ranks up there with Labor's ineffective cash hand out as part of the stimulus package
Posted by pelican, Wednesday, 28 August 2013 3:44:34 PM
pelican,
I think the semantics of unemployment are for another place.
Posted by chrisgaff1000, Wednesday, 28 August 2013 3:50:37 PM
Chris,

"pelican,
I think the semantics of unemployment are for another place."

This thread is titled:

"OPEN thread about what election policies or issues etc annoy you."

That's about as broad in context as it gets around here...pelican's comment is perfectly in line.
Posted by Poirot, Wednesday, 28 August 2013 4:03:03 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 9
  7. 10
  8. 11
  9. Page 12
  10. 13
  11. 14
  12. All