The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > OPEN thread about what election policies or issues etc annoy you.

OPEN thread about what election policies or issues etc annoy you.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. ...
  9. 12
  10. 13
  11. 14
  12. All
<< I am annoyed because what I think are the most important issues are glossed over or simply not discussed. Climate change, loss of biodiversity, uncontrolled population growth and the many other factors that affect the future viability of the planet are ignored. >>

Same here, davidf.

All these things need to be addressed as part of a strategy for a sustainable future.

The biggest thing for me is that there is not even a hint of discussion about sustainability in Australia, or its essential first step; a very big reduction in immigration.

Where’s Bob Carr? He was very strong on this stuff when he was premier and in the period before he joined the feds and became foreign minister.

Now, right at the time that the country really needs to hear all about this sustainability stuff, he is remaining completely quiet.

Damn pity that is!

Now wouldn’t it be great if Julia Gillard re-emerged and started really pushing the ‘sustainable Australia’ bit. If she did that, the MSM would presumably run with it and we’d get a meaningful debate happening.
Posted by Ludwig, Monday, 19 August 2013 12:07:16 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Poirot,

I’m not against twitter conversation at all, each to his/her own jollies. My issue is as stated, “Too little adult debate and too much “twitter” level discussion>>.

The shear volume of twittertariat comment that is relayed in our media is disproportionate to its value, relevance, voting public interest or its intellectual merit.

By all means let the children have their fun but let’s get some adult air time for real issues rather than the more juvenile members of our society seeing political merit in “following Tony’s Gaffes”.

Grow up Poirot.
Posted by spindoc, Monday, 19 August 2013 12:07:55 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Tony Abbot and his mate our Premier want more freeways  oppose  the proposed Melbourne rail tunnel and  bicycle planning to improve access to railway stations. They ignore world Bike/train  commutes could   be used instead of cars for many long trips to the CBD be the link between radiating rail lines in Melbourne. which has an urgent  a need for more  secure bicycle parking at 200 stations. The same applies to other australian urban rail systems. Estimates using  police crime reports  indicate we need more secure bicycles parking, perhaps as many as the 30,000 cars parked at stations?

The Netherlands, Sweden and more recently Germany where more bicycles are parked at rail stations system wide than cars than cars but in Melbourne. Secure bike parking is low cost and five times as many are needed.

Estimates using Melbourne  police crime reports  indicate we need more secure bicycles parking, perhaps as many as the 30,000 cars parked at stations instead of around 4000.   Since  the 1990s there where 1000 bicycles thefts a year and they are still are increasing . Also many   local Council bicycle plans do not recommend or provide secure bicycle parking at  stations.

Meanwhile 2 million live within easy cycling distance (2.5 km) of a station. Only 500,000 homes are in easy walking distance (500 m). Indeed, Bike/rail commuting is a good form of  active transport that can improve health and reduce road  congestion and works well Europe. Secure bike parking is low cost and  five times as many are needed.
Posted by PEST, Monday, 19 August 2013 12:21:31 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
spindoc,

"The shear volume of twittertariat comment that is relayed in our media is disproportionate to its value, relevance, voting public interest or its intellectual merit."

As opposed to what?......OLO?

Some of us are selective in that which we choose to imbibe - ignoring much twitter chat, but noting pertinent comment.

Some of us don't like being force fed MSM garbage dictated by media barons and pollies.

Some of us prefer to think for ourselves.

Tony's gaffes are pertinent - he's not particularly bright. A nice little puppet, in fact...just like George Dubya.

(Grow up yourself, spindoc:)
Posted by Poirot, Monday, 19 August 2013 12:51:40 PM
Dear Poirot,

Isn’t that precisely what I just said?

You have your preferences and nobody is forcing you to follow MSM. Get a grip sweetie.

So you think “Tony’s gaffes are pertinent”, but to whom besides the twittertariat and yourself?

I thought you just described yourself as a thinker and Tony Abbot as “not very bright” Ooops!

I guess two degree’s; a Masters and Rhodes Scholar at Oxford University provide some evidence of that? My god you are a lost cause, take a look in the mirror, I think you might be turning into a Troll. What else could possibly make you so angry?

Just for public clarity, Tony Abbott is not very bright, Poirot is a thinker and she does that all on her own, she likes twitter, she does not like being forced to follow the MSM and likes following TA’s gaffes.

I rest my case, “Too little adult debate and too much “twitter” level discussion”.

Stop being so paranoid, the world really is out to get you and many thanks for making my point so eloquently Poirot.
Posted by spindoc, Monday, 19 August 2013 1:46:43 PM
"Labor missed the boat when they didn't decide to educate the population in Modern Monetary Theory (updated Keynesian theory) when first in power in 2007. "

Expecting Wayne or Penny to do this would be akin to taking pictures of pink elephants flying under the Harbour Bridge.

Neither has got their bottom-line budget estimate anywhere near right so far - no wonder when their original revenue estimate from the 'super profits' mining tax shrunk from $ 40bn to less than $ 1b and Rio is paying no tax whatever !
Posted by traveloz, Monday, 19 August 2013 2:18:24 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. ...
  9. 12
  10. 13
  11. 14
  12. All