The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > What Does Mr Abbott Stand For?

What Does Mr Abbott Stand For?

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 60
  8. 61
  9. 62
  10. All
I mean that genuinely.

What does this man stand for?

If we subtract the sound bites and platitudes, what vision does Tony Abbott have for Australians that's not based on a negative and contrary assessment of his opponents.

"Turning Back the Boats" and "Australians deserve better" are cozy, populist and fairly vacuous when there's no accompanying commentary.

My problem with Mr Abbott is, that apart from the odd garbled interview, I'm not getting any substance.

Tell me why this mediocre pollie deserves my vote on his own merits - and not on his negative assumptions regarding the present government?
Posted by Poirot, Thursday, 27 June 2013 8:46:47 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
You wouldn't be voting for the LNP anyhow, Poirot. So the question is a criticism.

The big question is which policies will Kevin Rudd be standing for.

Greens leader Christine Milane has already given Kevin Rudd and Labor a dreadful spray yesterday June 26, 2013. She alleges that key policies agreed(?!) with Gillard will be dropped. She referred darkly to boat people, or at least alleged a different direction under Rudd.

If Labor's sidekick the Greens are bucking and making headlines out of a 'Negative' Rudd and a sizeable rump of the Labor caucus remains opposed to the new PM even before he gets to speak in parliament, the vital issue for the electorate is what does Kevin '13 stand for
Posted by onthebeach, Thursday, 27 June 2013 9:43:13 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
there is no doubt that we need to see much more detail from Abbott and coalition.

With Rudd's rhetoric and clever ability to promote a message, albeit it will be mostly rhetorical (catering to everyone and anyone), I feel that just targeting each other's personalities only dumbs down debate.

I don't have much faith in Rudd, but hope that Abbott will do much more than simply say 'only we can guarantee stability' or simply target Rudd's many faults.

So far, I have seen very little of how the Coalition will address eco aims, beyond northern Australia and cutting spending.
Posted by Chris Lewis, Thursday, 27 June 2013 9:45:34 AM
Note that I didn't ask what the Greens stand for. That is all smoke and mirrors.
Posted by onthebeach, Thursday, 27 June 2013 9:46:17 AM
onthebeach,

You presume too much.

I've voted for my local state Liberal representative in the last two state elections.

Next......
Posted by Poirot, Thursday, 27 June 2013 9:46:58 AM
Abbott IS vacuous as far as I am concerned.
He does tend to make big promises, with no actual policies.

He stands for his very conservative, backward, religious views, and I believe a vote for Abbott is a vote for the Catholic Church.

Anyone who supports George Pell and his disgraceful knowledge of hiding paedophiles within Catholic clergy, should not be in the top job.
Posted by Suseonline, Thursday, 27 June 2013 9:48:14 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 60
  8. 61
  9. 62
  10. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy