The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Clive Palmer, Bob Katter - Roosters Today, Feather Dusters Tomorrow?

Clive Palmer, Bob Katter - Roosters Today, Feather Dusters Tomorrow?

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. ...
  9. 20
  10. 21
  11. 22
  12. All
Spindoc>>Lexi why would we want to bring down the value of our Dollar? Wouldn’t that make our export resources more attractive and increase our cost of living from the cheap imports upon which we depend?<<

Lexi is correct in the holistic view of the impact of an .85 cent dollar, we the people would be better off. A high dollar is good for Australia's economy, a low dollar is good for the domestic economy, it promotes growth not unsustainable consumerism.

This Labor government has had the largest tax receipts in our history while the domestic economy flounders and jobs keep on going north. High dollar or not , Australia for the first time in history has been warned that our credit rating may go down ...thanks to the best treasurer in the world.

Re Katter and Palmer, why not, can't hurt, we are being bled to death by incompetents, may as well be bled from one who knows what they are doing. I would vote for Katter before Abbott.
Posted by sonofgloin, Saturday, 27 April 2013 12:26:14 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Dear SOG,

Great to hear from you again and I also quite
like Bob Katter. As for Clive Palmer - I believe
that he's no stranger to politics. He was a
former office bearer in the Qeensland National Party
in the 1980s and at one time he was openly threatening
to run against Wayne Swan in his suburban Brisbane
suburb of Lilley but then withdrew. Palmer has also
bank rolled the Lib. National Party. This ended with his
feud with Campbell Newman and eventual expulsion from
the party.

Anyway, his statements about refugees - made a lot of
sense to me.
Posted by Lexi, Saturday, 27 April 2013 1:03:28 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
It is de rigueur in some circles to rain cr@p down on any tall poppy.

Looking at this dispassionately:

Clive Palmer was voted as one of the National Trust of Australia's one hundred Australia's Living Treasures.

Also on the list are Dr Karl Kruszelnicki, world champion Formula One driver Sir Jack Brabham, naturalist and conservationist Dr Harry Butler and creator of the cervical vaccine Professor Ian Fraser.

In the words of Ian Carroll, National Trust of Australia (NSW),

"Their generous and significant contributions have, like them, become part of our national heritage".

Clive Palmer has brought prosperity to Australia and he is I believe a generous sponsor, involved in charities.

Bob Katter is well known from his service as a State and federal politician. His own site gives details.

So yes, the two individuals are well known to Australians. Both have made very valuable contributions and no-one can doubt their allegiance and good intentions for Australia. They could both contribute to politics and come from diferent perspectives.
Posted by onthebeach, Saturday, 27 April 2013 1:15:37 PM
I think Clive is on the right track with his asylum seeker solution. However I think it would have to be modified a bit. They will obviously just fly in on a one way ticket if they fear being put on a plane out again.
If they are paying 10 to 20 grand on a life threatening rickety boat trip why not instead just charge $20,000 to let them in through the front door?(subject to health and criminal record checks.)
Instead of the problem costing us money this solution would make us money.
Posted by Edward Carson, Saturday, 27 April 2013 1:26:37 PM
Dear onthebeach,

I'm so glad that we can agree on some things
afterall. ;-)

Dear Edward,

As I stated earlier - Clive's take on refugees
makes perfect sense. Hopefully, he will win and
make a difference. As will Katter.
Posted by Lexi, Saturday, 27 April 2013 2:05:13 PM
Edward Carson,

The infrastructure/welfare costs of those asylum seekers would dwarf that $20,000. Remember that these people aren't selected for their ability to contribute to the economy. If we want to sell entry to Australia, a fair price would amount to (at least) several hundred thousand dollars. See

http://www.abc.net.au/unleashed/39930.html
Posted by Divergence, Saturday, 27 April 2013 2:16:48 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. ...
  9. 20
  10. 21
  11. 22
  12. All