The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Clive Palmer, Bob Katter - Roosters Today, Feather Dusters Tomorrow?

Clive Palmer, Bob Katter - Roosters Today, Feather Dusters Tomorrow?

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 20
  8. 21
  9. 22
  10. All
I thought it might be fun to have a discussion on
the chances of success - of the two men who want to challenge
our two-party preferred political system come September.

Clive Palmer has announced that he's launching a
political party and wants to be PM.

Then we have Federal MP Bob Katter's - Australia Party
which polled 20 % in much of North Queensland. Which
may leave Katter with the balance of power in the Upper
House after the next election.

Does anyone think that these guys have a chance in really
making an impact at the next election?

And, are our electorates more splintered and diverse
then the two-party preferred polls show?
Posted by Lexi, Friday, 26 April 2013 2:23:23 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Clive Palmer is all about increasing his wealth and power,while Bob Katter is passionate about reward for effort at all stratas of society.

I've met Bob and he seems to be a genuine human being.
Posted by Arjay, Friday, 26 April 2013 6:25:56 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
The only thing I know about Clive Palmer is that he made what seemed to me a sensible suggestion about asylum-seekers arriving by boat. He reasoned, these guys are paying 10 and 20 thousand for a boat fare to Australia. Why not just let them fly in and apply for refugee status, and pay for the costs of their own processing? If they are determined to be refugees, grant them the visa in accordance with the international obligations Australia has undertaken; and if they are not, fly them out at their own expense. Treat them like human beings, in other words, a concept obviously foreign to the Laborals.
Posted by Jardine K. Jardine, Friday, 26 April 2013 7:09:16 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I think it’s great.

Providing it is not another Clive sideshow it will further fragment the red blue duopoly.

The best result we can expect in my opinion is a hung parliament in September.

Wouldn’t it be great if at that point we could move to a true democratic proportional system? It would be in the interest of all parties with the exception of the red and blue team to do so. It would be in the best interest of the country also.

We would catch up to those mongrel Kiwi’s as well. Then all we have to do is get the log of wood (a pointless exercise involving violence) and let the gays marry (a concept I struggle with).

The polls don’t show the splintering because of the two party preferential system. Change the question and you change the answer.

I say go for it. HANG THE BARSTARDS
Posted by Producer, Friday, 26 April 2013 7:54:39 PM
Both, if Palmer gets his party up, will take National and Liberal votes first.
And votes from each other.
We may see senate seats, and not much more than two lower house seats go to them,
They like old Joe,s run at power hurt most the side both come from.
Not enough other than senate to have impacts.
Greens can be compared to both, in the effect they may have, in time.
As a Liberal win looks clear, two maybe three elections down the track, disaffected voters may give them more power.
Australia, in my view is not going to be kind to small party,s this time around, including the greens.
Posted by Belly, Saturday, 27 April 2013 6:47:14 AM
Yes, why not? This country needs new ideas, and Palmer has a can-do approach which should enhance debate.
Posted by Chris Lewis, Saturday, 27 April 2013 8:17:38 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 20
  8. 21
  9. 22
  10. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy