The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > intellectual cafes come back

intellectual cafes come back

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 7
  8. 8
  9. 9
  10. All
In the 60s at Sydney University there was a cafe that rivalled the great cafes of the Paris Left Bank or New York's Greenwich Village for lively discussion of arts, current events, philosophy - and sex. Gemaine Greer, John Bell, Bob Ellis, Albie Thoms, myself, and many later-famous people hung there. Online interaction is wonderful, but cafe society is exciting too. Come back grotty, lively, cheap, ugly cafes whose walls are covered with posters and photos and whose patrons have minds!

Clem Gorman
Posted by clem gorman, Thursday, 4 April 2013 1:44:34 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
whose patrons have minds!
clem gorman,
you mean those indoctrinated unwavering ones ?
Posted by individual, Thursday, 4 April 2013 5:52:57 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I agree, Clem.

I doubt this would be happening in any universities today.
Posted by Constance, Thursday, 4 April 2013 6:20:33 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Individual>> whose patrons have minds!
clem gorman,
you mean those indoctrinated unwavering ones ?<<

Bit tough Indy, correct but tough.
Clem he has a point, in a pub you get pub philosophy, in a yacht club you get yacht club philosophy, in an under graduate watering hole you get undergraduate philosophy…we hang with like minded people so the direction of outcomes runs along the tracks laid down.

But in saying that I spent many happy hours in uni bars seeking out those who think like me….I failed…I got extreme right or extreme left. I personally found bohemia away from the uni haunts.
Posted by sonofgloin, Thursday, 4 April 2013 6:27:00 PM
You’re livin in the past …

Your comrades have moved to the big quad up the road and hold well paid, tenured positions. Now-a-days when they’re not pushing “whiteness theory ” to impressible undergrads they’re fielding picket lines.

Can you believe it, this semester has only been up and running a little over a month and there’s already been three day-long strikes.

Clint Spqr-person
Posted by SPQR, Thursday, 4 April 2013 6:40:25 PM
Bit tough Indy, correct but tough.
sonofgloin,
Yeah well, I would refrain from being so sarcastic but as long as I'm made to pay for their coffee I feel entitled to air my sentiments.
Posted by individual, Thursday, 4 April 2013 6:57:27 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 7
  8. 8
  9. 9
  10. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy