The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Alleged police brutality & the 2013 Sydney Mardi Gras:

Alleged police brutality & the 2013 Sydney Mardi Gras:

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. ...
  10. 9
  11. 10
  12. 11
  13. All
Yep, saw her once, in Parramatta Rd Petersham.

No air con, central locking, or electric windows in those days, but it was amazing how quickly every one had their windows up, & doors locked.

At least, unlike those today, she did not damage the cars she could not get into.
Posted by Hasbeen, Saturday, 9 March 2013 4:28:18 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Hello there ONTHEBEACH...

You are so so right with your truism. We amount (individually) to less than a speck of dust. Yet how many of us consider how special we are, indispensable, without peer.

When I was younger, I put on this very private 'hissy fit' because I had this ridiculous notion that I was more qualified (for acting rank) then several others within my squad. No one detected my pique apparently, except another senior member outside our squad. He did though.

While whinging away to him about my reversal of fortune, I told him I was pulling the pin, and returning to uniform. He promptly replied, OK fine !

He said, nobody in this show is unparalleled nor irreplaceable, no one. If you think you are...just put your hand in a bucket of water. Pull it out, the size of the hole left in the water, indicates just how important you are to this organisation. Another lesson for me, ONTHEBEACH - then I've always been a slow learner ?

Bea Miles, was a intimidating and very intelligent lady, but a terrifying figure, who made it a practice or targeting taxis, police vehicles, in fact anyone she choose to ride with. Bea could also quote Shakespere, Milton, Wordsworth, in fact most of the literary giants. She thoroughly understood Law, better than most senior silks.

She was always getting herself arrested - make off without paying, assault police, offensive language, more assault police etc. failing to remove herself from a taxi/police vehicle/ obstructing traffic. She delighted in frightening the life out of young coppers (me included) !

Dear ol' Bea, knew all the Magistrates by first name, and she'd use them too. She had no respect for the Courts, always behaving with contempt ? I'd describe Ms. Bea Miles, as a (decent) colourful 'Australian Identity' ! Her only crime, she was simply Bea Miles. A former well educated university student, from a very well to do family, who happened to have suffered a severe Nervous Breakdown. Without benefit of todays modern psychiatric treatment. God bless her.
Posted by o sung wu, Saturday, 9 March 2013 5:04:11 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Hi again HASBEEN...

Yep, she got me on the cnr of Concord & Parramatta Roads, at the lights there, Just jumped into the front seat, complete with her multitude of string bags containing all manner of 'stuff', mainly old newspapers. And you're right, she didn't damage cars back then.

If she couldn't get into your car, you'd cop a flurry of words. She was far better versed with 'language' than any wharfie I reckon.

I'll tell you something though, if there were young kids nearby, there'd be no bad language emanating from the mouth of Bea Miles, God love her !

I'll tell you another thing too mate, I'd rather 'ten x Beas' than some of the maggots I've had to deal with since. With her, you got what you saw...and yes, heard !

Thanks for your contribution too fella's, I really appreciate it.
Posted by o sung wu, Saturday, 9 March 2013 5:16:14 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Seems from more news today about this we have been coned.
Many of us will have questioned his right to run through a crowd touching women he did not know.
And at an event said to have formed to protest about sexual discrimination!
New story says he kicked police,and his friends told him to stop it.
I think an event may have been planned, to put on face book, no idea why any one wants that double faced thing to play on.
And find it funny strange funny, that he touched folk he would not have a cop standing on him if he touched me .
Given the bleak life some must have, wanting to star on social media, we must look at how many events such as this are actual events not pre constructed.
Posted by Belly, Sunday, 10 March 2013 7:08:14 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Dear o sung wu,

Good Morning. I'm back.

It's interesting that this year's Mardi Gras marks
35 years since 2,000 protestors clashed with the
police - and it looks like not all that much has
changed for some oficers.

Throwing an 18 year old around "like a rag doll,"
(to quote his father), is simply not on for a
trained police officer - no matter what the provocation
may have been. Grabbing a small young man
by the throat and smashing his skull on the pavement
is not how officers are trained to handle any
difficult situation. And for the officer to press his
foot down on the young person's back - reeks of abuse
and of an out of control situation. The officer should
have handled the matter more professionally or called for
back up.

An investigation is definitely in order - and the public
outcry that followed this incident should be taken
seriously by all - but especially by the police whose
job it is to protect people - not abuse them no matter
how provoked they may be. A trained police officer
simply should know better. It is after all - his job.
And if he can't handle the heat - then he's obviously in
the wrong profession. This officer had no right to behave
in the manner that he did.
Posted by Lexi, Sunday, 10 March 2013 10:31:55 AM
cont'd ...

The time allowed for the training of police officers
should be re-examined. It takes several years to train
people at TAFE Colletges and universities to undertake
responsible jobs in society.

It appears that there should be a more stringent evaluation
of applicants into the police force. Too many with the wrong
psychological attitude are accepted due to an inefficient
screening process.

We've all met officers who are either too aggressive of are
too weak to deal with any situation and resort to extreme
reactions unwarranted by the given situation.
Posted by Lexi, Sunday, 10 March 2013 11:01:13 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. ...
  10. 9
  11. 10
  12. 11