The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Misogyny and Negativism

Misogyny and Negativism

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 12
  8. 13
  9. 14
  10. All
A poll that came out today reveals "female voters have rejected Julia Gillard's claim Tony Abbott is a misogynist and are preparing to elect him prime minister despite some concerns about his "negativity" and views on abortion."

Misogyny is the Greek work word for 'woman hater'. Apparently in more recent years feminists have redefined the meaning as "entrenched prejudice against women". Who knew?

Personally I don't believe mysogyny is a word in most people's everyday vocabulary and when Julia Gillard accused Tony Abbott of being a misogynist she did not qualify her use of the word. It was an outrageous and exaggerated personal attack that had lingering effects up until recently. As time passed people's distrust of Julia has outweighed the brief success she enjoyed.

As to whether or not Tony Abbott is too negative I'm left wondering what people would think of him as the Opposition Leader if he didn't criticise and challenge the Government. Many of us applaud Tony's 'No' to the carbon tax and no to excessive spending and no to the other stupid blunders this government has proposed.

With the impending Federal election looking like it will be a re-run of the Queensland state election I'd like to coined the phrase "Ruddite" to define those within the Labour Party who are secretly "Julia haters".
Posted by sbr108, Sunday, 17 February 2013 1:15:15 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Given that Abbott is married with daughters it is difficult to see him as a misogynist. Life as a woman-hater would be unbearable if a man has to commit to the well-being of a household dominated by women.

The problem with labelling Abbott a misogynist is Gillard's misuse of the word. She simply does not understand what misogynist means. We should have pity on her for her simple mindedness
Posted by Mr Opinion, Monday, 18 February 2013 8:05:59 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Mr Opinion, I think she understood full well what the word meant. I don't think the PM is stupid, rather like to many of those who do whatever it takes to get to become "leaders" the boundaries and ethics are in a very different place to where many of the rest of us live.

Th mysogynst speech was a calculated tactic to play on the fears of women rather than a misunderstanding of the word. A tactic where she knew Abbott would be at a disadvantage, if he returned fire in kind it would serve to reinforce the perception of Abbott that the PM has worked to create.

BTW I'm not convinced that having a a partner or children of a particular gender disqualifies someone from holding deep seated prejudices against that gender, people are quite capable of seeing a partner as a means to an end and treating children as the exception rather than the norm. My impression is that in Abbotts case there is no real evidence of prejudice, some traditional values which have been played on by the PM and others to try and create a climate of fear.

My concerns about Abbott are more that like most in his profession there is far to much belief in the rights of external authorities to regulate the lives of individuals. Wether that be the church or government or some other external entity the end results tend to be unjust and generally unsuccessfull in terms of improving peoples lives.

R0bert
Posted by R0bert, Monday, 18 February 2013 8:50:12 AM
Dear R0bert

It would be a contradiction for Abbott to be a misogynist. I am quite sure that he loves his wife and daughters. One cannot both hate and love a woman for her own ontology.

I think there is more to Gillard's misogynist attack against Abbott than an opportunity to capture votes for her party. I think there may be deep psychological underpinnings associated with her own barreness as a woman. A deep resentment against Abbott for his ability to beget children.
Posted by Mr Opinion, Monday, 18 February 2013 9:20:30 AM
Dear sbr108,

When after polling the nation it is found “25 per cent agreed Mr Abbott was a misogynist” you have to agree there is a problem.

I mean what other politician comes even close? Perhaps if they polled on Bill Heffernan they might get something similar but it is a hell of an indictment on anyone.

With over 2 million views on Youtube the popularity of the PM's speech is testament to how much it resonated with the Australian people. If there wasn't some basis for the accusation then it would never have had the impact that it did.

No one gets to bluster past all that.
Posted by csteele, Monday, 18 February 2013 9:31:44 AM
Dear csteele

Are you trying to tell us that apart from Gillard there are another 2 million people who do not know what misogynist means?
Posted by Mr Opinion, Monday, 18 February 2013 9:39:15 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 12
  8. 13
  9. 14
  10. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy