The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Nicola Roxon resignation

Nicola Roxon resignation

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. ...
  9. 9
  10. 10
  11. 11
  12. All
rehctub, you asked; "why would anyone promote someone to that very highly respected role, knowing they were on the way out."

The answer is Craig Thompson knocked the job back, and Pete Slipper was busy in court! Eddie Obeid said the pay wasn't good enough, besides he couldn't see how the 'Family' would be making a quid out of that kind of gig.
Posted by Paul1405, Thursday, 7 February 2013 5:30:59 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Pericles
I have heard similar about Nicola Roxon in the health portfolio. You may be right about the data retention aspect and perhaps she has been more vocal in Cabinet.

runner
The comments I was referring to were mainly on Twitter and in Letters to the Editor of various newspapers (eg. Canberra Times). Most of the comments on Twitter came from women although one of the most strident was from a letter from a man who stated Roxon has let down the cause of feminism.

Belly
I am not so sure Labor is gone despite the polling. Admittedley it does not look good. Though Abbott does not poll well so it is really about parties. Much will depend on what the LNP comes up with if we are ever privileged to seee their policies in reasonable time prior to the election. They have already shown their stripes in being a mouthpiece for the minining industry in stating they will abolish the mining tax at a loss to those who ought to gain more from these resources.
Posted by pelican, Thursday, 7 February 2013 9:14:49 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Houlley
Your reaction is knee-jerk. I never said that women 'should' have it all. It is a ludicrous starting point for anyone - man, woman or child.

Without getting into a strong gender war, which is not my intention, my main issue is with people who believe that any one person no matter what their position in life is responsible for the public relations and promulgation of any cause through their personal choices. In this case it is feminism but it could equally apply to any cause and any person.

Nicola Roxon clearly said she could not devote herself completely to the role and it is an important role with need for a full commitment. Fact is Ms Roxon wants to spend more time with her family. I imagine she will at some point take-up a less demanding role that will enable her to do just that.

Men have been leaving politics for years with that same reasoning. Why are women to be held to a higher goal and castigated for not meeting the manufactured expectations of others.

The term 'brave' was used because I would imagine she would have predicted the letting-down-feminism responses and instead made the right choice for her and her family.

individual
Ms Roxon will receive the same as male politicians who leave their role. You are missing the point of this thread. Imagine Ms Roxon as a Liberal then you might get the message in the first post.
Posted by pelican, Thursday, 7 February 2013 9:22:18 AM
rehctub
I am not sure why Ms Roxon accepted the post of AG if she knew at the time she was leaving, however we are not privy to the discussions or even if she had come to a decision at that time. The PM did state it was 12 months ago and perhaps it suited the seat shuffling at the time to remove McClelland from the role. Who knows. My beef is with the reaction to her resignation from some quarters in relation to the feminist cause.
Posted by pelican, Thursday, 7 February 2013 9:26:11 AM
Bazz
I agree with your interpretation as far lending goes. The idea that we are somehow better off with all the perceived trappings of material goods (debt) when it requires two income earners to feed the debt cycle is quite ludicrous.
Posted by pelican, Thursday, 7 February 2013 9:48:52 AM
hehehe.

Every public figure, even the great Hussey and Ponting, resigns to 'Spend more time with their families.'

The interesting thing is the sudden realisation that they need or feel they want to spend more time with their families.

It normally coincides with a form slump, or becoming tired of the rigours of travelling or the long hours spent training.

It's a Euphemism. Like... see a man about a dog.

'Why are women to be held to a higher goal and castigated for not meeting the manufactured expectations of others. '

I don't believe that's *generally* the case, but in this instance, lets just say it's for similar reasons men are under suspicion taking their kids into a public toilet.

'any one person no matter what their position in life is responsible for the public relations and promulgation of any cause through their personal choices.'

I did comprehend and agreed with that general point, I was just making fun. I have long objected to footballers expected to be 'role models' too. I remember how upset people were when Andrew Johns showed the world that you can be an absolute superstar and perform at the highest level all the while enjoying the pleasures of recreational drugs. Don't tell the kiddies that Mr Role Model! Hence the teary confessions and the ubiquitous I have a mental illness ruse.

But 'at the end of the day', people in public life... water off a ducks back. Doubly so a politician.

Which is why....

' she would have predicted the letting-down-feminism responses and instead made the right choice for her and her family.'

I don't agree it was brave at all. Who WOULD care about some ideological zealots when making decisions in their personal lives and doing what they think is best for their family.(However belated and convenient the timing of the new found desire to spend some actual time with them.)

Anyway, what kind of mother takes on such a high stress life consuming job in the first place...
Posted by Houellebecq, Thursday, 7 February 2013 10:57:57 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. ...
  9. 9
  10. 10
  11. 11
  12. All