The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Nicola Roxon resignation

Nicola Roxon resignation

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 8
  7. 9
  8. 10
  9. Page 11
  10. All
Interesting article RObert.

Houlley

I agree it is wrong to see all forms of discrimination (perceived and real) against women as some great plot masterminded by men. Historically 'the partriarchy' is something much more entrenched in reflecting on the early days of feminism when there were rigid roles and expectations for both men and women. But that was back then. I would hate to see the feminist movement become like the old patriarchy ie. one rule fits all approach and expectations of conforming in an environment that does not allow people's own choices and aptitudes to flourish. My point is really about free choice and opportunities to exercise those choices. Keeping in mind that none of us are always able to exercise our own choices in every scenario, life just does not work out that simply at times. Sometimes sacrifices have to be made or paths may change for reasons beyond our control. That is life.

There are differences between men and women which don't impact on abilities, skills or opportunities in work but should be appreciated. I think problems arise more when those differences are seen to be prohibitive and exclusive for either men or women.

It would be much simpler and fairer to move on to examining issues from the effects on human beings and/or individuals in a reasoned and rational way
Posted by pelican, Wednesday, 13 February 2013 2:21:42 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Dear Pelly,

One would hope that in today's world the
most probable pattern of gender roles would be
one in which many alternative lifestyles
and roles are acceptable for both men and
women.

Our society is individualistic
and highly open to change and experimentation,
and it is in this kind of environment that
both men and women should be able to explore
a wide variety of choices and possible roles.

As I've stated earlier, true liberation from
the restrictions of gender means that all
possible options are open and equally acceptable
for both sexes. Then a person's individual
human qualities, rather than their biological sex,
becomes the primary measure of that person's worth
and achievement.

Of course not everyone wants to explore a wide
variety of choices and possible roles. But that's
a different issue again.
Posted by Lexi, Wednesday, 13 February 2013 2:38:11 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Exhibit A pelican

http://www.onlineopinion.com.au/view.asp?article=14685

I rest my case.
Posted by Houellebecq, Wednesday, 13 February 2013 5:27:41 PM
Lexi that's it in a nutshell. :)

Houlley
Ha ha. Yes, not everything related to such commentary is about a mission to control womens' bodies. Pericles' comments mirrors my own on that particular article.
Posted by pelican, Wednesday, 13 February 2013 7:01:23 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 8
  7. 9
  8. 10
  9. Page 11
  10. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy