The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Fireworks is not a Culture

Fireworks is not a Culture

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. All
Dear Sonofgloin,

<<It is fireworks........not a mission statement>>

Fireworks are used in the same way an alpha-male beats his chest, sending the message "I am strong, don't mess around with me!".

Initially, only governments could afford to demonstrate their power this way, generating national pride, then local councils were able to do so too and eventually also big companies and wealthy individuals who have enough money to waste on this extravagance.

The primitive message remains the same.
Posted by Yuyutsu, Tuesday, 15 January 2013 4:52:22 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Fireworks are usually the grand finale of other cultural events, agricultural shows, community festivals, national holidays, major sporting events and such.
The NYE fireworks in the capital cities are just part of an evening of entertainment, they have buskers, street performers, concerts, food and art on show as well, as far as most of us are concerned it ticks all the boxes to qualify as a cultural pursuit.
Usually when some WASP bemoans the lack of "culture" in Australia they are pooh-poohing European traditions, the Chinese and Vietnamese use fireworks in their new years celebrations, nobody ever insinuates that those events are "lowbrow" even though when the beer starts flowing their revelers get just as "merry" as Whites do.
Posted by Jay Of Melbourne, Tuesday, 15 January 2013 7:41:35 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Yuyutsu>> Fireworks are used in the same way an alpha-male beats his chest, sending the message "I am strong, don't mess around with me!"<<

Y, Is every “expression of degree” a statement of dominance.

When I tuck into a quarter pounder, am I expressing to the jerk eating a measly big mac that I am superior to him?

When I purchase a large popcorn at the pictures am I pushing the face of the medium sized popcorn owner in the dirt?

When I hire a family size sedan rather than a hatch back am I expressing my obvious virility compared to the four cylinder cretin?

An audience of millions require more than a few Roman Candles Y.
Posted by sonofgloin, Tuesday, 15 January 2013 9:59:53 PM
Clem welcome! to the very grumpy old mans club.
You throw an insult at what has become part of our culture.
Triathlons, country shows , any thing can end with happy folk and kids watching the fire works,little different, except for the improvements, from the old Empire day celebration.
Posted by Belly, Wednesday, 16 January 2013 5:42:10 AM
PS
Hasbeen is holding your seat
Posted by Belly, Wednesday, 16 January 2013 5:44:07 AM
I agree with Belly.

After all it's really just an extension of bread and circuses.

We attended last years New Year's fireworks where we live, which is held on an inlet near the city centre. The thing that struck me, and the feeling was quite palpable, was the feeling of community in the very best sense. Up and down the inlet were families sitting picnic-style for hours before the event. It was a great feeling in the evening as sun was setting to have all these people with their kids just enjoying the atmosphere

In a world where everyone is so busy, it was nice just to sit there and drink it in.
Posted by Poirot, Wednesday, 16 January 2013 8:58:20 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy