The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Is this how Australian Senators behave?

Is this how Australian Senators behave?

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. Page 7
  9. 8
  10. All
Paul1405,
Are you walking free or are they looking for you ?
Posted by individual, Sunday, 13 January 2013 11:46:17 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
>>I call for the crucifixion no less of dear old Jonathon<<

Always with the most extreme position possible. Is moderation such a dirty word Paul?

I can easily understand why people like yourself would so valiantly leap to defend Moylan: because they're not very bright.

But I don't understand what they hope to achieve by doing so. Ever heard the phrase 'own goal'? They're not usually regarded as a desirable outcome. Your team might want to reconsider their gameplan - maybe bench the fraud-supporting idiots for a spell and let the less loony lefties handle this one.

Cheers,

Tony
Posted by Tony Lavis, Sunday, 13 January 2013 6:58:05 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Pericles. I always take you as a person who thinks before they post, not the type to waffle on about crucifixions and such stuff, (I would have called for Johnathon's burning at the steak, or boiling in oil but CO2 and all that, put those options out of the question.) Back to my point, yes I would think you would be armed with all the facts before you post. But what about this clanger!
You said: In reference to my friend and favorite Senator Lee Rhiannon.. "very few people actually vote for the individual, do they" Lets take a look at the 2010 NSW Senate Vote, the top 3 personal votes.

LEE RHIANNON (Greens) 22776
John Faulkner (ALP) 12522
Concetta Well (lib) 12194

They love the woman all most double the personal vote of the candidates from the big 2. Lee's personal vote was only slightly less than the total vote for a bunch of crack pots like One Nation.

For me Jonathon Moylan is guilty of nothing more than showing up the ANZ Bank for its hypocrisy. There are those in society who say "I support peoples right to protest," What they don't say is as long as that protest doesn't alter the 'status quo' and doesn't impact on them.
In 1970 Jim Cairns (ALP) led a protest by 100,000 people in the streets of Melbourne,against the war in Vietnam all over Australia many of us protested against the war, often unfairly targeted by the police and those supporting the war. I personally seen members of the Nazi Party of Australia helping police arrest protesters in George Street Sydney in 1970. Don't kid yourself, Australia is not the safe little democracy that we all would like to think it is, if too many step out of line too far, then democracy will be tested. When Johnson visited Australia, NSW Premier Robin Askin (Lib) told their driver to "run over the bastards (war Protesters)." did anyone on the right call for Askins arrest for insighting a person to commit murder, no of course not.
Posted by Paul1405, Sunday, 13 January 2013 8:11:43 PM
Hi individual, nope, I'm still on the loose! They haven't got me yet.
Hasta la vista old buddy! Why hasn't Belly Ache been back to post his explanation about Brenden O'Connor, must be to busy sticking pins in his Gillard doll, opps sorry Abbott doll, he got for Xmas.
p/s Who the F#%k is Brenden O'Connor, hadn't heard of him until he tweeted something about "the Mad Monks a pyromaniac, who's after your vote" or words to that effect. I think this bloke's a twit for what he tweeted about Abbott, What do you think Belly? Run away and hide, in scrub. like usual when a question is put to you?
Posted by Paul1405, Sunday, 13 January 2013 8:19:56 PM
Individual asks Paul 1405: <<Are you walking free or are they looking for you ?>>

Locking Paul up would be equivalent to catching a house fly in a jar.The science has moved well beyond such crude measures.
Now what they tend to do is genetically modify the fly and release it into the wild. When it mates/mingles with its wild cousins
it causes all sorts of system crashes/confusion.

They took one look at Paul and realized there was no need for modification, he already had all the necessary prerequisites.
Instead, they gave him a free travel pass to attend as many Green meetings as possible.
Posted by SPQR, Monday, 14 January 2013 11:34:29 AM
I think you have, most generously, proved my point, Paul1405.

>>You said: In reference to my friend and favorite Senator Lee Rhiannon.. "very few people actually vote for the individual, do they" Lets take a look at the 2010 NSW Senate Vote, the top 3 personal votes. LEE RHIANNON (Greens) 22776<<

Of the 443,913 votes cast for Green candidates, Ms Rhiannon's personal share (assuming your numbers are correct - I couldn't track down the source) was approximately five percent. Also assuming she was the most popular of the six Greens on the ticket, statistically speaking far more people voted "Green 1" than voted for an individual.

Your other examples are even more illuminating, given that Mr Faulkner's votes represented 0.8% of the Labor vote, and Ms Well's share of the Lib vote was even lower at 0.75%. Surely this indicates very clearly indeed that "very few people actually vote for the individual, do they", with the consolation prize to Ms Rhiannon that she had greater name-recognition within her Party than the other two "faves".

But more to the point...

>>There are those in society who say "I support peoples right to protest"<<

This is generally held to be a conditional right, contingent upon that protest staying within the law. We do not have much of a restriction on, say, the right of peaceful assembly, which enabled Jim Cairns to mobilise his anti-war troops in 1970. And we do allow the police at such assemblies the right to arrest people who actively break the law, e.g. throwing bricks, etc.

I am aware that the line is sometimes crossed in mass demonstrations. But the act we are discussing here did not involve the emotions that infect and energize at such events.

>>...did anyone on the right call for Askins arrest for insighting a person to commit murder, no of course not.<<

I don't think you will find that Ms Rhiannon will be charged with incitement to commit fraud, either. But I suspect that suggesting it is ok to support lawbreakers will turn out to be a bad career move.
Posted by Pericles, Monday, 14 January 2013 1:06:33 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. Page 7
  9. 8
  10. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy