The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > The taxpayer gets the sucker punch

The taxpayer gets the sucker punch

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. All
If all the above is true generally, then how come the (only) takeaway fish and chip hamburger shop in my small town (indigenous/ single occupancy) has gone through 6 hands in the last 12 years and is on the market again? Perhaps none of the past proprietors were dishonest enough?

I'd be interested to know if any of the previous posters has actually run a small business. In my experience, coming from a family of mainly small business people, and knowing personally most of the small buisness people in my town, most are too honest for their own good.

That $5000 per day turnover (a bit much for a small takeaway in an 'indigenous/single occupancy' area?) has to cover rent, electricity, insurance, raw materials, wages, super, workers comp, various govt fees, cleaners, etc etc. The first three are large constraints on profits and continue to increase.
Posted by Cossomby, Thursday, 1 November 2012 11:07:59 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Chriss and Paul,
To begin with............... Nah, neither of you are worth the effort.
Posted by Banjo, Thursday, 1 November 2012 11:41:52 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Banjo, glad to see you are in agreement.

If the government wanted to stamp out the cash economy and the billion dollar criminal active that goes with it, they could introduce a cashless economy, with a 'smart card'. Cash has been around since before the time of the Romans, its time to go. A no cash economy would pay for itself in no time and force Greasy Ronald in his take away to cough up, hopefully not all over his burgers.
Posted by Paul1405, Friday, 2 November 2012 9:38:02 AM
A better option Paul would be to implement a transaction tax, then, every time money hits any account anywhere, the tax is collected.

It would also do away with income tax and GST, so who cares what the fish and chip shop does with their cash, cause at some stage their money hits the bank.

Taxing money is a far better option than taxing people, cause people can only spend money once, but money can be repeatedly used and taxed each time.

As far as small business goes, I have been there for 23 years and can tell you the joy and reward has all but gone.

Black money would also get taxed at some point.
Posted by rehctub, Saturday, 3 November 2012 10:41:48 AM
rehctub,

I also see other benefits and savings in having a cashless society. Reduction in armed hold ups, can't loose the cash in your wallet. Saving on printing costs, transporting counting etc.
Posted by Paul1405, Saturday, 3 November 2012 2:21:49 PM
What is not often discussed is the tax breaks that the mates of our politicians get.

Our politicians do not pay income tax on their taxpayer funded social welfare benefits (superannuation), nor do judges.

Why are trust funds remaining tax free?

A number of politicians have trust funds.
Posted by JamesH, Sunday, 4 November 2012 4:41:45 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy