The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Gillard's speech.

Gillard's speech.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 18
  8. 19
  9. 20
  10. All
I have been rather surprised that there is yet to be a thread commenced on the topic of Julia Gillard's misogynist speech. It seems to have received disproportionally more attention overseas than in Australia. For a political speech to have garnered over 400,000 views on Youtube is outstanding in itself particularly as it is a over 15 minutes long, and contains a fair amount of content that would have been foreign to the obviously high numbers of international viewers.
http://youtu.be/ihd7ofrwQX0

It certainly has grabbed the attention of many overseas newspapers and that of probably my favourite Youtube news channel The Young Turks.
http://youtu.be/FJfy2VI23Cw
Besides getting the odd fact wrong , and an interesting pronunciation of Gillard, they did a pretty good job of covering the story.

A writer from the New Yorker Magazine penned “After his performance last week, supporters of president Obama, watching Gillard cut through the disingenuousness and feigned moral outrage of her opponent to call him out for his own personal prejudice, hypocrisy, and aversion to facts, might be wishing their man would take a lesson from Australia.”

Britain's The Telegraph said “Watching a female Prime Minister tear apart the male leader of the Opposition with such aplomb, composure – but most importantly armed with a brilliantly impressive set of insults – backed up with dates and times of when each shocking comment was said – was the best card Gillard, ever the political animal, could have played in such a situation.”

To have 'sexism' and 'misogyny' trending in the top five twitter tags in Australia and yet as Anne Summers from the DRUM reflects;

“The reportage and commentary this morning out of Canberra was so startlingly at odds with the reactions of such vast numbers of people both here and abroad that you have to ask: why and how could this be the case?”
http://www.abc.net.au/unleashed/4305728.html

However to have notoriously attention span deficient female teenagers in my family independently decide to watch the entire clip tells me more about its impact that any other source.
Posted by csteele, Thursday, 11 October 2012 10:46:02 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Well I guess that means most Ozzies know what Gillard is, where your teenager, & the yank lefty press are still learning.

Once they catch up on her, they will probably be as disgusted as most of us are, all though, the left leaning yankee press person is unlikely to ever admit it, in print. Lets face it, the poor yanks have a president about as useless as our PM, so deserve our sympathy, unless they are stupid enough to re-elect him.

I do find it interesting to watch said lefty US press try to come up with an excuse for Obama's debate effort. Even after seeing the cogs in his head, that pass for a brain, grind almost to a total halt, they try to find excuses, rather than admit he's a dud.

Guess the similarities in the lefty press, there & here, show how far from reality they have now ventured
Posted by Hasbeen, Thursday, 11 October 2012 12:45:01 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Does a lot of aggressive yelling about mysognyst Tony make a good speech? She even used her dead father as a sympathy ploy.
Will her standing in the polls go up, consequently?
Posted by PIPIBEAU, Thursday, 11 October 2012 1:52:36 PM
You are so right guys. How DARE Gillard defend herself strongly, vigorously and truthfully against a man. She has no right to do that, especially to poor, sweet Tony ... she must be a misogynist. Dear Tony has NEVER made any personal comments whatsoever against Gillard. Damn women, what gives them the right to defend themselves?

Keep up the good work guys. Good, decent women of this country know their place and are thankful they have men to protect them. Long live the 1950s.
Posted by DiamondPete, Thursday, 11 October 2012 2:05:28 PM
'Keep up the good work guys. Good, decent women of this country know their place and are thankful they have men to protect them. Long live the 1950s. '

yea I dare say those woman of the 50's were so mistreated that they did not have to lie, sleep around and abort their children to further their self interest. What a picture of morality. And don't forget they then go in to bat for a man of the 50's slipper whose modern day thinking sees woman as purely ugly sex vessels. Great work Julia and the mob! I think I will point my daughter to the 50's for some sort of guidance.
Posted by runner, Thursday, 11 October 2012 2:19:59 PM
Oh runner, you are so right.

The 50s were a time of GREAT morality and decency towards women. Yes, the 50s ... a time when women in the workplace were NEVER forced to resign their jobs when they married, a time when those immoral and wicked women who had a child out of wedlock had their children forcibly taken away without consent and adopted, a time when the God given right of a man to rape his wife was enshrined in legislation (no man could be charged with raping his wife), a time when all women were paid equally for the same work as men, a time when the workplace and positions of authority were filled with righteous and religious women in the same numbers as men, a time when all men respected women and NEVER committed crimes against them, a time when pedophile priest and preachers didn't exist to set a bad example for our women, a time when ...... well you get my drift.

Let's go back to the 50s .... it was a GREAT time for women's freedom.
Posted by DiamondPete, Thursday, 11 October 2012 2:53:40 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 18
  8. 19
  9. 20
  10. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy