The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > A Thank You to Certain OLOers

A Thank You to Certain OLOers

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. Page 8
  10. 9
  11. 10
  12. All
I really don't know how many times the question has to be asked before anyone can or will answer it but 'ere goes again. What can we do about climate change ?
Posted by individual, Sunday, 2 September 2012 6:29:58 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
http://climate.nasa.gov/evidence/
I am sure, most if not all of us stood in wounder as the Americans landed on Mars.
So very many things had to be just right.
So far from earth it took place just as planned.
Extraordinary.
Yet my link to the same set of brains will bring with it an equally extraordinary event.
Some will deny it, say the whole thing is a fraud, climate change is not man made.
That is unbelievable.
It to me warns us all.
See only some of the anti climate change comes from people who have any back ground to challenge NASA.
Warning? yes take note any issue can be challenged by wealth and power, a conspiracy can be built on both sides from nothing.
On this subject?
Those who tell us America was behind 9/11 now sell the power and influence lie, that increasing human population/activity has no0 effect on the issue.
Extraordinary stuff.
Posted by Belly, Sunday, 2 September 2012 4:21:27 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Individual,
You've asked the most important and the most worthwhile question in this whole area.
In the end, we're all individuals, and we can do only what we can do.
When a government acts, it's because pressure was brought to bare.
So, what each of us can do is to face up to the scary, unpleasant truth that climate change is real; that the threat it poses in this era is a consequence of human activity.
Next we can work to convince people, one at a time if necessary, that we must act; as Belly is doing by providing the link to the NASA page and it's telling graph.
We can stand up to the those who cannot face the truth and we can keep trying to persuade them that we must act, and that it is within humanity's power to fix what it has broken.
We can put pressure on politicians to counter the pressure from those who manipulate the truth for their own gains; the Andrew Bolts, the Alan Jones's; the Gina Rineharts of the world.
And look, we CAN beat this thing. In the face of rising public concerns about their nuclear power sources, (after Japan's experience), the German government had planned to open fossil fuel power stations.
Now they've announced that they don't need to because alternative energy sources have been so successful in picking up the load.
We can do this. We are doing it, and the pace will pick up once the debate pedaled by charlatans is put to rest.
I'm not offering the answer, Individual; I'm merely respectfully offering my answer.
I hope it goes some way to helping you find your answer.
Anthony
http://www.observationpoint.com.au
Posted by Anthonyve, Sunday, 2 September 2012 6:30:16 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
None of the climate sceptics on this post would dare mention their own scientist "Muller" recently proving the existence of man made climate change in his own study and declaring himself converted from scepticism, would they ?.

The science community has now reached consensus with regard to the facts about climate change, is in agreement with regard our own culpability, and as we identified the hole in the ozone layer and did something about it Individual, perhaps we can learn from that by identifying the cause of the problem here, (science says it's carbon in the atmosphere), accepting that we do actually have the power to do something about it, might be a good place, if not the only place we can start dealing with the problem.

Instead of accepting a steady path toward an ultimate and un-avoidable destruction, that some may wish upon us now.

I support your view on this one Anthonyve. We can all do something. And we should.
Posted by thinker 2, Monday, 3 September 2012 7:31:00 PM
Thinker 2,

Muller was a genuine "skeptic" - and what did the other skeptics (denialists) do the minute he concurred with AGW...well, they disowned him, saying that he'd never been a real skeptic.

That's what you do if you have nowhere else to run with an argument.
Posted by Poirot, Monday, 3 September 2012 8:29:59 PM
On the button mon amie, as evidenced by OLO's resident "sceptics".
Posted by bonmot, Monday, 3 September 2012 8:47:51 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. Page 8
  10. 9
  11. 10
  12. All