The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Drug testing for the dole

Drug testing for the dole

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. Page 7
  9. All
It's Saturday 1/10/2012 and in the last week I applied for a total of 15 job vacancies, 3 by phone and 12 by email.

Each of the jobs applied for by phone sounded positive at first and I thought would lead to an appointment for an interview for the position but on being asked 3 questions being,
1. my age, being 63
2. if I have my own reliable car to get me to work if successful,
3. where I reside, being Grantville, Victoria 3984
My application's were declined, reasons given, I need my own transport to get to work and they are looking to employ a person who resides local to the job.

I have not had any replies to the email applications as yet and doubt if I will as they nearly all state 'only successful applicants will be notified'.

I believe that the main problem employers find is my age being 63 years, but they are not allowed to use that as a reason to decline my application as that would be discrimination so they use transport and where I reside as a reason.

I have a car but it does not operate and will cost approximately $4,000 to get it back up and running.

Trying to exist on welfare benefits is proving to be an impossibility and I need and want to work where I can earn an affordable income again.

I am considering approaching Centre Link and enquire if I can get a loan to either purchase a car or have my vehicle repaired and get it up and running that way it will block the excuse employers use to decline my applications.

Apparently refugees can get up to $10,000 government welfare loan to purchase a motor car so why can't Australian people get the same if they have a relevant reason which I believe I do and possibly many other people on benefits in circumstances like mine.
Posted by gypsy, Saturday, 1 September 2012 10:45:33 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I realize many people will be against that idea and there would be some which would exploit it if it is available. If that system was or is available and gets the unemployed back into work and off of benefits then it would be good not bad and each case should be decided on a persons individual criteria.

I would be interested to know the views of other people both for or against.
Posted by gypsy, Saturday, 1 September 2012 10:46:06 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
1. Your age, answer 63 reply OUT
2. Do you own a 'reliable' car to get to work? answer No I catch the bus. reply OUT
3. Where do you reside? answer Grantville, reply criminal, OUT, OUT, OUT.

Question 1 Is illegal to ask. The other 2 have noting to do with the job you are applying for.

4. Are you gay? answer Yes reply who let you in, OUT
5. Have you ever voted Labor? answer Yes once in 1963. reply: Oh God a communist, save us Lord from this evil doer. OUT NOW.

Employer "So hard to get good help these days, Hope you are all white out there...
Next."

I don't know what kind of so called employers these people are.

What kind of jobs have you been applying for. Doorman at National Action HQ.
Posted by Paul1405, Saturday, 1 September 2012 2:18:59 PM
Job adds for august were 160,000 down 7% on previous month. Age is the biggest item for senior cits. There are some employers out there like mcdonalds, bunnings, and check-outs.
Posted by 579, Saturday, 1 September 2012 2:44:51 PM
Paul 1404, I know that to refuse someone anything in employment due to their age is discrimination and illegal.

Employers have found ways to get around that by asking for your residential address which you must provide, they can also ask your mode of transport to travel to get to work if they give you the position and hire you which you are obliged to answer, if you refuse to answer their questions it is highly unlikely they will hire you.

The final decision rests with the hirer and not the applicant.

I totally agree with what you say that their decision should only be based on if you can perform the job they have advertised as it would be expected if they hired you that you would arrive on time each day and carry out the duties they pay you to do.

Under the present system of today employers are able to hide any discrimination by questions that are not discriminatory and base their refusal to hire a person on other grounds.
Posted by gypsy, Saturday, 1 September 2012 3:04:43 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. Page 7
  9. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy